Jomtien Immigration, Re Entry Permit, Excessively Long Queues.

It seems very busy still at Jomtien Immigration in regards to getting a re entry permit. The queues are one hundred tickets plus and I have been told on several occasions to come back the next day. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive visa agent to get one on my behalf. Thanks.

If flying from BKK a re-entry permit can be obtained from the airport immigration officers

Correct there are re-entry permit desks at both airports that are open 24 hours a day. You need be leaving the country to get them though.

Thanks, I presume that they are permanently staffed though? I would hate to arrive at Suvarnabhumi and experience problems obtaining one.

Absolute chaos down there this morning. The number system seems to be not working so no-one knows what to do.

I was trying to get stamps transferred to my new passport. Eventually gave up waiting and just went up to Desk 6. I'm not sure if I jumped the queue or not but a friendly lady took my passports and documents and told me to call back tomorrow, after 10:00.

I think that you can get your re-entry permit at the airport. I've never done this but I believe that there's a dedicated desk there for this purpose. Just allow a bit of extra time.

DM

Edited by doctormann
  • Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe, smile.png

If anyone does know an inexpensive agent feel free to post as I am not leaving for a couple of weeks. Key Visa wanted ฿2,500 (including single re entry permit) when I contacted them today which I thought a bit excessive.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Correct there are re-entry permit desks at both airports that are open 24 hours a day. You need be leaving the country to get them though.

If flying from BKK a re-entry permit can be obtained from the airport immigration officers

The Swampy Airport Re-entry Desk is open 24 hours a day, but an official there told me that you can't get a re-entry visa from about 10 p.m. to 5 p.m. Something like that. I suggest checking with Immigration at the airport if you need to get a visa that late.

• Like 1

I fail to understand the logic behind this requesting for a re-entry only when you know your travel date. I think Immigration could streamline the procedure a little bit by making it possible to apply in one go for a (multiple) re-entry and (extension of) a one year non-immigrant/retirement visa if an applicant wishes to do so. Of course with the required payment for the re-entry.

More logical as well seems to me to combine necessary visits to immigration with the so called 90 day checks.stamps. For instance, if your one year visa extension has to be renewed after 75 days of a 90 days period, you have to report to immigration again 15 days after your last visit there for the new visa. Nice people working there, so I would love to decrease their workload (and waiting times for customers) by avoiding meaningless encounters.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I fail to understand the logic behind this requesting for a re-entry only when you know your travel date. I think Immigration could streamline the procedure a little bit by making it possible to apply in one go for a (multiple) re-entry and (extension of) a one year non-immigrant/retirement visa if an applicant wishes to do so. Of course with the required payment for the re-entry.

More logical as well seems to me to combine necessary visits to immigration with the so called 90 day checks.stamps. For instance, if your one year visa extension has to be renewed after 75 days of a 90 days period, you have to report to immigration again 15 days after your last visit there for the new visa. Nice people working there, so I would love to decrease their workload (and waiting times for customers) by avoiding meaningless encounters.

A re-entry permit can be obtained at any time single or multiple.

There is no need to "know" travel dates.

It is a simple process which most undertake at the time of extension renewal

edit

spelling

Edited by thepool

Met up with a friend of mine at Jomtien Immigration about 10 days ago as he was doing his 90-day reporting. I went to order a coffee and wait at the cafe outside. He was back with his reporting done in 8 minutes, before the coffee was ready!

This is the annual "90-days after Christmas/month before Songkran" bottleneck at Jomtien. One can chose to either plan around this very predictable annual event or make a predictably similar post this time next year.

"For instance, if your one year visa extension has to be renewed after 75 days of a 90 days period, you have to report to immigration again 15 days after your last visit there for the new visa. "

There are no one year visa extensions or new visas issued at Immigration and as far as your example of the renewal of a one year extension of stay (not visa) and 90 day reports are concerned, if you do the previous 90 day reports each a bit earlier than the date stamp shown, you can get the renewal of the extension of stay and the 90 day report close enough to do at the same time. A little planning on your part will ensure that the people at Immigrations see you less often, but it won't actually reduce their work load any.

Edited by Suradit69

Just arrive before 8:00 am and get your queue number and suck it up.. Bring a novel or a tablet with a few movies on it.

... And good luck finding a seat.

Last time I did a re-entry was very efficient- got there early 4th in the queue- doors opened- a load of people that had been hanging around rushed the entrance and pushed us out of the way, I will not name any nationality; but you may guess?

Trouble is some of us were brought up to queue!

So take a cattle prod, taser, etc etc.

Did the OP realise that the ticket number actually has a number 1 at the beginning to show it was for desk number 1. When I did mine recently I had ticket number 169, I had to wait about fifteen minutes before my number was called.

I did it the same day as my one year extension.

hansnoi, on 18 Mar 2014 - 16:10, said:
A re-entry permit can be obtained at any time single or multiple.
There is no need to "know" travel dates.
It is a simple process which most undertake at the time of extension renewal

For instance, if your one year visa extension has to be renewed after 75 days of a 90 days period, you have to report to immigration again 15 days after your last visit there for the new visa. "

There are no one year visa extensions or new visas issued at Immigration and as far as your example of the renewal of a one year extension of stay (not visa) and 90 day reports are concerned, if you do the previous 90 day reports each a bit earlier than the date stamp shown, you can get the renewal of the extension of stay and the 90 day report close enough to do at the same time. A little planning on your part will ensure that the people at Immigrations see you less often, but it won't actually reduce their work load any.

Apparently I didn't make myself perfectly clear. The procedure for obtaining a single or multiple re-entry could be simplified by adding an option for these on the TM7 form for extension of stay. In that case your new one year extension and your re-entry permit could be stamped in your passport at the same time. This is to my knowledge and experience impossible with the current procedure. There is a special form for the re-entry permit (TM 8) which can't be handed in and processed at the same day as the TM 7-form.

On several occasions when applying for a re-entrypermit I have been sent back with the argument that it was very busy, please return when your travel date is nearer.

Concerning the 90 day stamp: of course, always willing to do my part. But it would be more logical if every 90 day period starts with the stamped date of obtaining the new extension of stay at Immigration. That would be in line as well with the proedure when (re-)entering the Kingdom. With the date-stamp of the immigration official at the border/airport starts your new 90 days period.

To avoid any misunderstanding: These are just suggestions, I am not complaining about the procedures or immigration. And by the way, whatever the hurdles, they are in Thailand considerably lower than in for instance the EU-countries.

Edited by hansnoi

Just arrive before 8:00 am and get your queue number and suck it up.. Bring a novel or a tablet with a few movies on it.

... And good luck finding a seat.

Seconded. They now open the doors before 0800; so you can get your queue number, get a seat and wait a little while before being served. Many of the desks start up at 0820 rather than 0830.