Confused about my Visa choices. Please advise. tx

Hi. I am coming to Bangkok in less than a month. I wish to stay in Thailand a year or more. I'm confused about which entry option I should get for visa.
Should I come in on 30 day exemption at airport? Or get a visa at the embassy here in the U.S.?
It seems, later, that I can join a school for learning Thai to have 1 year visa. I also may teach English eventually as i have done in the past.
I'm also worried about the round trip fair requirement. I really have no intention on returning here anytime soon so just plan to get a one way ticket. One webpage I read said that was fine if I had the visa first.
Any help? Thanks.

Well, to start this I can say the airlines are supposed to let you board with a one way ticket as long as you've got any kind of Thai visa in your passport.

But it still possible you might get questioned by an overzealous agent at the airport.

If you don't have a visa, another way is to have an AIR ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of arrival.
That should work also.

I suggest you get at least a single entry tourist visa that would give you a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

You can get your visa at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates or one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/Thai_Consulate_Directory2

If you don't have a visa you can be denied boarding your flight if you don't have a onward or return ticket out within 30 days of arrival.

• Like 1

Portland has a triple entry tourist visa ($40 per entry) add the 30 days extension (two visa runs needed) and you would have close to 9 months - to explore other options - change your mind. Since to get a single entry it's going to cost approx. $40 postage anyway - why not get multiple entry? With an approved Tourist Visa you will not be questioned about RT ticket.

http://www.thai-or.com/visa-information/

As per Ubonjoe a 30 day visa exempt entry requires a RT or a flight out of Thailand - so if you enter on 4/1 your flight out s/b dated 4/30 or less - w/o it the airline won't let you board. It is what it is... coffee1.gif

I came on a german passport without a visa on a one way flight from london to bkk. The only thing Emirates did for me is give me a dummy return flight just in case .. No one checked that and I just done a double entry in Laos.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I came on a german passport without a visa on a one way flight from london to bkk. The only thing Emirates did for me is give me a dummy return flight just in case .. No one checked that and I just done a double entry in Laos.

Interesting as to why Emirates would do that!

There is never an issue with entering Thailand the hard part is getting here!

Immigration never check for return tickets

Yes really it did .. i charmed a rather large lady who didn't seem to get much attention from other guys... so I used my charming ways ... ;) my language 2 large cases was well over the allowed weight ..and she didn't charge me either. ..so I must have had a lucky farang day ;)

I don't have all the answers, but I can tell you that the last time I got a tourist visa from the embassy in Washington , DC they refused to issue it without proof of onward travel. So, I had to walk around the block and buy an Air Asia ticket to Phnom Penh, as it was the cheapest I could find with my limited time window if I wanted to get back to the embassy to submit the application. The dates were completely random. I ended up using the ticket in the end just for a bit of a holiday, but I didn't intend on doing so when applying for the visa.

I should also note that I had previously received at least 6-7 tourist visas over several years from the embassy in Washington, DC. This was a new rule. However, that was 6 years ago or so. I have since converted that to a non-immigrant 'b' and have been on an extension of stay ever since. I am not sure if they are still requiring this or not!

Long time ago, but I was required to show a Thai consulate in the U.S. either a RT ticket or an air ticket out to another country in order to obtain a single entry O. I am sure the visa would have been OK for the airline but I had to buy the throwaway ticket for the Thai consulate. The airline didn't ask for it, saw the visa, and saw the one way ticket to Thailand. As always, mileage may vary. It's a good point though, the embassies/consulates may force this issue anyway.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Long time ago, but I was required to show a Thai consulate in the U.S. either a RT ticket or an air ticket out to another country in order to obtain a single entry O. I am sure the visa would have been OK for the airline but I had to buy the throwaway ticket for the Thai consulate. The airline didn't ask for it, saw the visa, and saw the one way ticket to Thailand. As always, mileage may vary. It's a good point though, the embassies/consulates may force this issue anyway.

I just have an impression that the whole Thai visa situation is being rapidly tightened up.

Try for example obtaining a visa from an Honorary Consulate by post now !

Edited by thepool

I also may teach English eventually as i have done in the past.
I'm also worried about the round trip fair requirement.

Well that seems only "fare."

In the murky past when I was a tourist I had wanted to buy a ticket from Dubai to Bangkok and planned to buy a ticket later from Bangkok to Lahore when I knew the dates, but the ticket agent wouldn't sell me a one way ticket to Bangkok. I either had a tourist visa or was going to use a visa exempt entry, can't recall which.

No such problem when I had the O-A some years later.

Edited by Suradit69

I also may teach English eventually as i have done in the past.

I'm also worried about the round trip fair requirement.

Well that seems only "fare."

In the murky past when I was a tourist I had wanted to buy a ticket from Dubai to Bangkok and planned to buy a ticket later from Bangkok to Lahore when I knew the dates, but the ticket agent wouldn't sell me a one way ticket to Bangkok. I either had a tourist visa or was going to use a visa exempt entry, can't recall which.

No such problem when I had the O-A some years later.

Yeah, I noticed that too...some English teacher...should fit right in with his other farang colleagues here in Thailand. Must be a real wiz at reading comprehension as well as he can't figure out what visa to get when the subject has been discussed ad-nauseam here and at official Thai embassy and consulate websites.

• Like 1

I just have an impression that the whole Thai visa situation is being rapidly tightened up.

Try for example obtaining a visa from an Honorary Consulate by post now !

Very easy and is the norm in USA.

When I moved to Thailand, they told me at the airport where I bought my ticket, That in order to get into Thailand I needed a return ticket, the cheapest ticket I could fine was from Bangkok to Cambodia, so after arriving in Chiang Mai, I returned my unused Cambodia ticket, in the mean time I started a 90 visa.

When I moved to Thailand, they told me at the airport where I bought my ticket, That in order to get into Thailand I needed a return ticket, the cheapest ticket I could fine was from Bangkok to Cambodia, so after arriving in Chiang Mai, I returned my unused Cambodia ticket, in the mean time I started a 90 visa.

. Have never been asked to produce onward ticket at immigration, airline , Yes... This is my 18x in Five Years Edited by Dannyboy6

Every time that I apply for a visa at an Thai Embassy or Consulate, I have to show a copy of a ticket in and out of Thailand.

Lars

Does that comment just relate to the Embassy and Consulate(s) in your own country and does it apply to all types of visa ?

Every time that I apply for a visa at an Thai Embassy or Consulate, I have to show a copy of a ticket in and out of Thailand.

Not all embassies and consulates ask for tickets out of the country. And if they do it is only required for tourist visas. They are not required for non immigrant visas.

Lars

Does that comment just relate to the Embassy and Consulate(s) in your own country and does it apply to all types of visa ?

I have applied in 3 different countries. But lately only in Sweden & Denmark

Not all embassies and consulates ask for tickets out of the country. And if they do it is only required for tourist visas. They are not required for non immigrant visas.
I'm sure you are right. And maybe not all Embassies do it either. I wrote about TR visa for single, double or triple entry Edited by larsjohnsson

Thank you for replies. Ok, If I got it right it seems to be sure I should get a visa and not come in on 30 day exempt country status. So, I live in San Francisco. I will go to Los Angelas and get the visa before I leave.

Can I get double or triple entry and will that then extend the visa life? Also, I really would like to stay longer. Maybe a year. It seems the best way is to take Thai language at a school getting education visa. Sounds great. So I will be getting an apartment which requires 6 month or 1 year contract.

Will I be able to do that after I arrive? Convert tourist visa to education visa.

Thanks

You can do a mail application to the consulate in LA see. http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa.aspx

You can extend each 60 day entry by 30 days at immigration. Just be sure you do your last entry before the enter before date on your visa. Also remember not to get your to far ahead of time because it's validity start on date of issue.

You will need to leave to get a non-ed visa at a nearby embassy or consulate. Immigration normally does not do conversations to a ED visa. You can start attending classes on your tourist visa there is no requirement to get the ED first.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Sorry for the delay in replying to all of you. I went to L.A. Applied at the Thai consulate. Showed them my one-way ticket and next day had a 60 day tourist visa, double entry. So, I didn't need the return ticket. Hurrah.

Thanks for all the info everyone. It seems alot of answers to a lot of questions are 'it depends'.

So, the next decisions are about staying longer than the visa, extensions, border runs, getting an ED visa perhaps. I will do some reading on the forum because I'm sure the info is there. I have a lot of questions about practical stuff so I guess I should hop around the forum topics.

I've got a bank account and I have found a condo to rent. Good start.

Hello LOS

Ok. Sorry for the delay in replying to all of you. I went to L.A. Applied at the Thai consulate. Showed them my one-way ticket and next day had a 60 day tourist visa, double entry. So, I didn't need the return ticket. Hurrah.

Thanks for all the info everyone. It seems alot of answers to a lot of questions are 'it depends'.

So, the next decisions are about staying longer than the visa, extensions, border runs, getting an ED visa perhaps. I will do some reading on the forum because I'm sure the info is there. I have a lot of questions about practical stuff so I guess I should hop around the forum topics.

Hello LOS

now all u have to do is worry about airline requiring you to have one, I had to buy return at airport for 3,000 dls. Refundable , if u pay by credit card it took 2 months to return money to account, I paid cash and had to wait 10 days in Thailand for refund... Edited by Dannyboy6

Hello LOS

now all u have to do is worry about airline requiring you to have one, I had to buy return at airport for 3,000 dls. Refundable , if u pay by credit card it took 2 months to return money to account, I paid cash and had to wait 10 days in Thailand for refund...

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a visa. You probably did not have one.

See: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/