What foreigners dont get about Thai girls.

michaeltheR

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that hard like any relationship you both set down the " rules " shall we say but you must take into account the Thai culture it's a must I beleive as westerners we come here thinks it's all so easy find a lady settle down whatever it's not like any relationship you have to work at it.....again set the guide line but be aware that Thai people have a different set of values nedds and requirements to most western women and I mean that nicely.

Before you jump into the relationship take things slow talk a lot find out what she is looking for compare it to what you want if they are close together go for it.

BUT like all relationships you have to work at it.

Think About It

You didn't notice that unless you speak thai, the conversation doesn't go much beyond where to eat your next meal, did you?

Thai at Heart, I respect your personal observation, but you can never generalize.

There are many couples in Thailand that can have proper conversations and discuss anything and everything.

Thai people do learn English.

Farangs seldom bother to learn Thai.

This assumed your missus speaks passable English. When I first arrived in thailand, a while ago, in the place I was, there was one girl who spoke English passably, and she learnt it in a coastal resort swinging her thing.

It was learn thai, or satay aloan. I would recommend it. It broadens the selection pool rather massively and I wouldn't have met my wife of 13 years without it. That said, she also talks about her next meal, straight after eating, occasionally.

Good point - I wouldn't have met my wife of 13 years too if I hadn't learned Thai

Your wife was 13 years when you met her. Ok...

• Like 1

You didn't notice that unless you speak thai, the conversation doesn't go much beyond where to eat your next meal, did you?

Thai at Heart, I respect your personal observation, but you can never generalize.

There are many couples in Thailand that can have proper conversations and discuss anything and everything.

This assumed your missus speaks passable English. When I first arrived in thailand, a while ago, in the place I was, there was one girl who spoke English passably, and she learnt it in a coastal resort swinging her thing.

It was learn thai, or satay aloan. I would recommend it. It broadens the selection pool rather massively and I wouldn't have met my wife of 13 years without it. That said, she also talks about her next meal, straight after eating, occasionally.

Good point - I wouldn't have met my wife of 13 years too if I hadn't learned Thai

Your wife was 13 years when you met her. Ok...

I agree,

White people who use the word 'farang' never learn Thai, but lots of other white people do.

An other one offended by the word Farang.

If you live in Thailand get used to it.

If not get to accept it.

By the way, I do speak Thai.

• Like 2

But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Unless you (foreigner) have a lot more money than him (Thai).

Were you this deluded before you arrived in Thailand or did you start exhibiting symptoms afterwards?

This is why farang guys end up with the 3rd rate women from the bars.

They think it's all about money here

• Like 1

Yes, every Thai-speaking farang I know has no problem with the word, use it all the time, answer to it when called, realize it CAN be used as an insult, just as the word "Thai" or "Asian" can be, but in fact rarely is.

are you serious?

Is that a man who answers to the word falange when called, or some sort of small furry animal that will rub against the bottom of your leg, when called?

Whether you speak Thai or not it would not get much beyond than that.

Edited by garrya

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that.

Prefer wealthy Thai guy about their age.

But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says.

Thai girls that Thai guys don't want (too much baggage, too old, low social status, etc.).

But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Unless you (foreigner) have a lot more money than him (Thai).

This is a FACT

I witnessed a relationship breakup here of a guy who is part of the inner circle of friends of the girl I was with, just lose her because a new guy stepped in a bought her a house,

He is thai, they are both 30,

the guy she was with is a broke thai who is drinking himself to death now, as she posts pictures on her facebook of all the restaurants and clubs he takes her too, while the other one thought being a great lover and professing is undying love for her, would stop her from leaving him

for the money

• Like 1

Yes, every Thai-speaking farang I know has no problem with the word, use it all the time, answer to it when called, realize it CAN be used as an insult, just as the word "Thai" or "Asian" can be, but in fact rarely is.

are you serious?

Is that a man who answers to the word falange when called, or some sort of small furry animal that will rub against the bottom of your leg, when called?

Depends on the context doesn't it?

Out and about in public, or with those I'm most intimate with, no problem.

And for myself, those are the only situations where it's used to address me in person and I know enough to understand it's not meant disrespectfully. Not that I think I'm all that "deserving of respect" just because I'm white.

And if the small furry animal's calling me to the session room, I'll happily answer to "fattie" or "grandpa" or whatever else she'd like to call me!

Edited by wym
  • Like 2

I disagree with the OP. I am late forties still have hair, am fit but average looking.

I have money but don't show it at all.

I bought and nice big bike and got a new (but not overly expensive penthouse in Phuket)

I started dating and was overwhelmed by the quantity of dates and phones calls I ended up getting.

I was even used a couple of time by young girls still at University. There is definitely a farang badge of honour amoungst these young college girls.

I tried to pursue one of them but she just told me frankly that I was nice but she just wanted to try having sex with a farang and I seem like a nice guy.

After 6 months I made a decision to get rid of the apartment and change my SIM because it was just too stressful organising my time to keep on dating.

• Like 1

I disagree with the OP. I am late forties still have hair, am fit but average looking.

I have money but don't show it at all.

I bought and nice big bike and got a new (but not overly expensive penthouse in Phuket)

I started dating and was overwhelmed by the quantity of dates and phones calls I ended up getting.

I was even used a couple of time by young girls still at University. There is definitely a farang badge of honour amoungst these young college girls.

I tried to pursue one of them but she just told me frankly that I was nice but she just wanted to try having sex with a farang and I seem like a nice guy.

After 6 months I made a decision to get rid of the apartment and change my SIM because it was just too stressful organising my time to keep on dating.

Living in Patong Beach ?

Funny man u.

• Like 1

After living here for a couple of years I noticed that Thai girls are a hard piece of work and it is much harder to get a real relationship than in Western countries. Many foreigners like me assumed that it would be easy as Thai women are more friendly and outgoing. However if one lacks the "game" then one would be even less succesful here than in our native countries. Any thoughts?

Yes.. This is not my experience.

No game needed, for some reason they flock to me like flies to a steaming pile.

And that's especially the 25-35 year old middle class ones. I don't think I have 'a game' either. Or not consciously anyway.

It's much harder to stay single in Thailand than it is to get stuck with one or more Thai chicks.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

OP, good on you for recognizing something that may not be obvious to a novice farang. This could be a good topic if the idiots stay away. The problem with farangs in Thailand is that they get most of their intel from other farangs. And other farangs almost always only know Thai women who are in the "farang scene." Which is to say mostly BGs or serial farang-hunters (mostly prowling on dating sites and farang hang-outs).

Normal Thai girls, e.g., the sort of Thai girls most farangs would want to meet, prefer to speak Thai and do not think that farangs walk on water. They just want a normal relationship with someone they can connect with and talk to. It's really that simple. So if you can't speak Thai, you're relegated to the "farang scene" sort of Thai girl, which sucks.

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that. But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says. But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Speak for yourself mate....

This assumed your missus speaks passable English.

cant imagine why i would spend any time in a serious relationship with a woman who didn't

i speak thai passably well, i have made an effort to learn, but i have never had a relationship of any significance here where the lingua franca wasn't english. its not like educated thais are thin on the ground in bangkok.

but then i also went to the trouble of teaching my child proper english and always attended the best schools i could afford. I never spoke to her (or her mother) in pidgin like so many "fathers" i see here. i cringe at the thought.

for an evening im willing to communicate purely in thai and i appreciate the challenge, for a relationship, i would expect a partner i could communicate with and who could communicate with me.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, good on you for recognizing something that may not be obvious to a novice farang. This could be a good topic if the idiots stay away. The problem with farangs in Thailand is that they get most of their intel from other farangs. And other farangs almost always only know Thai women who are in the "farang scene." Which is to say mostly BGs or serial farang-hunters (mostly prowling on dating sites and farang hang-outs).

Normal Thai girls, e.g., the sort of Thai girls most farangs would want to meet, prefer to speak Thai and do not think that farangs walk on water. They just want a normal relationship with someone they can connect with and talk to. It's really that simple. So if you can't speak Thai, you're relegated to the "farang scene" sort of Thai girl, which sucks.

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that. But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says. But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Speak for yourself mate....

Oh so you're "Rico Suave" are you?

Let me guess; you, aged 60, married a 28 year old Sino-Thai ex-model with a Ph.D in biology who spoke perfect English . . .

Well my Mrs is fluent in English, Spanish and Thai while I am fluent in only English, can jumble a bit of Thai together if hard pressed, and like tapas.

Works for us.

Thais look good, have good food, and give good massages but once you've met a sweet Filipina, very hard to consider any other nationality, in my opinion. They win hands down in taking care of the man.

no, no, no, its the Democratic Republic of the Congo girls.... whoops, its almost 3am, better go to bed.

The difference is subtle but may I say rewarding and worthwhile to find out.

If you take the time to discover, you're polite and attentive and always put her first before everything else, you'll find out one particularly endearing thing.

are you serious?

Depends on the context doesn't it?

Out and about in public, or with those I'm most intimate with, no problem.

And for myself, those are the only situations where it's used to address me in person and I know enough to understand it's not meant disrespectfully. Not that I think I'm all that "deserving of respect" just because I'm white.

And if the small furry animal's calling me to the session room, I'll happily answer to "fattie" or "grandpa" or whatever else she'd like to call me!

your quote,

"And if the small furry animal's calling me to the session room, I'll happily answer to "fattie" or "grandpa" or whatever else she'd like to call me!"

Best quote on TV, by far!

• Like 1

Women are the same all over the world. They all want the same things in life. The difference in Thailand is a mixture of cultural/social things as well as the fact that there is more poverty so you have to be careful to weed out any bad ones.

This assumed your missus speaks passable English.
cant imagine why i would spend any time in a serious relationship with a woman who didn't

i speak thai passably well, i have made an effort to learn, but i have never had a relationship of any significance here where the lingua franca wasn't english. its not like educated thais are thin on the ground in bangkok.

but then i also went to the trouble of teaching my child proper english and always attended the best schools i could afford. I never spoke to her (or her mother) in pidgin like so many "fathers" i see here. i cringe at the thought.

for an evening im willing to communicate purely in thai and i appreciate the challenge, for a relationship, i would expect a partner i could communicate with and who could communicate with me.

12 years married 2 kids and when we met, my missus barely spoke a word of English. Have lived in Europe, and back to thailand and now back in UK planning where next. I came to Thailand working at the age of 22.

I have worked in various roles around Asia, but in thailand all my jobs benefitted from speaking thai. With the missus, not sure if we speak more or less Thai. It depends on the nature of who is in company and the seriousness of the subject .

Kids are bilingual. I never speak thai to my kids, and my wife never in English. Kids have come back to uk from bilingual school in thailand and no one noticed they weren't native speakers.

I dated a couple of girls before I spoke Thai, and I hated not knowing what was going on. I couldn't handle being out of the loop.