NACC ready to indict charges against Parliament President and Senate Speaker

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The NACC is boldly going ahead with what they are constitutionally entrusted to do - and that is uphold the constitution and to investigate any infractions of it. The judicial process is going forward, and that is good news for all Thais.

Without the courts and General Prayuth the place would be a basket case

And considering how f*****d up it is, it just shows what a poor job they are doing......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In this divided land....

There seem to be two issues reported here:

1) amending the constitution that will make alterations to the composition of senators

2) after there have been allegations that the two were performing their duty dishonestly

and three questions:

a) Is it a crime to pass a bill that alters the composition of senators?

cool.png.pagespeed.ce.jz1nB6CMOI.png Is it a crime to pass any bill later ruled unconstitutional?

c) dishonest in their duties? who decides this, courts or the senate?

No doubt that hardly any serving politician in the western world would stand up under these if true. In my opinion, this is just another joke.

I do agree that the senate process seems invalid based on what has been reported for the bill, but then the senate also did not pass it, so where is the foul?

Everyone needs to play by the rule book, red and yellow and the rainbow.

what you don't understand is that even the democrats supported a fully elected senate. But the speaker and deputy added a clause that would allow MP's wives and children to become senators and lengthen thier term of office so as they could get complete control of the senate and negate the whole purpose of the senate. Just like they sneaked in extra clauses in the amnesty bill.

What you describe as "the clause" happens all the time in the US before the final vote. Courts have no jurisdiction over the congressional process or the members actions in congress. Courts do have jurisdiction over "constitutional" issues.

If the courts and General Prayuth stopped biasedly interfering in politics the place wouldn't be a basket case.

The NACC is boldly going ahead with what they are constitutionally entrusted to do - and that is uphold the constitution and to investigate any infractions of it. The judicial process is going forward, and that is good news for all Thais.

Without the courts and General Prayuth the place would be a basket case

It would be worse.

Only for the am-mart.

Bob, after ten years here I still don't understand Thai politics but as you seem to an expert I wonder if you tell me why nearly half the country supports the party of the 'amart' if they are so awful.

They can't all be rich, hi-so elite types or else Mr Thaksin would have sold more than just a tiny percentage of his Elite Club cards by now.

In 2005, in Thaksin's biggest win the Democrats only got 18% of the vote, In 2007 they got about 32% and in 2011 they got about 35%

The results below are 2006 (seats won)

Thai Rak Thai M CTP Democrat

375 2 27 96

After the 2006 coup the constitution was amended and then that constitution was amended again by the Abhisit government prior to the 2011 elections. In addition to the constitutional amendments there was also an all out assault by the courts, twice disbanding Thaksin backed political parties and imposing bans on hundreds of Red politicians.

So after skewing and distorting the system in their favour - the Democrats were able to raise their support from 1/5 to 1/3.

Still not enough.

So here we are, country in turmoil again because they Democrats and their backers want a third go a rewriting the rules to favour them.

But the simple fact is, support for the Democrats is just too low for any system that could be taken seriously by the rest of the world to actually produce a Democrat government.

All this reform talk now isn't about creating a transparent democratic system, it's simply a cover for creating a system that allows an electoral minority to win a parliamentary majority.

Such a system will never be accepted by the masses - so in all likelihood all of the ongoing death and destruction will be for naught.

As for the make up of the Democrat supporters, beyond wealth and geography I believe ethnicity and classism plays a big part.

BTW - I am far from an expert, all the experts on TV are pro-yellow

At last you write a few words I agree with, you are indeed far from being an expert.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So long as they do it fairly and without bias then I'm all for it.

I don't give a dam if they are biased if it is illegal I am all for it.

Just because some one is biased does not make an illegal action rite.

that is like saying Thaksin is innocent because the charges were from a biased source and were politically inspired.

I don't give a dam what causes them if they catch a crook good on them. If they exonerate them good on them. How is that for being non biased?

I worry for you NortherJohn.

When the dust settles and the Reds have won I think your head might explode.

I'm not sure if you'll make it to see the day Big Daddy Thaksin returns home to a heroes welcome.

If he does then you'll probably see even worse protests and maybe that civil war everyone talks about.

So long as they do it fairly and without bias then I'm all for it.

I don't give a dam if they are biased if it is illegal I am all for it.

Just because some one is biased does not make an illegal action rite.

that is like saying Thaksin is innocent because the charges were from a biased source and were politically inspired.

I don't give a dam what causes them if they catch a crook good on them. If they exonerate them good on them. How is that for being non biased?

I shouldn't have to explain this.

To find them guilty you have to be unbiased so that the evidence is considered whichever side it is and then the appropriate sentence handed down which will be the same whichever side it is.

If it was biased the other way I'm sure you'd complain.

In this divided land....

There seem to be two issues reported here:

1) amending the constitution that will make alterations to the composition of senators

2) after there have been allegations that the two were performing their duty dishonestly

and three questions:

a) Is it a crime to pass a bill that alters the composition of senators?

cool.png.pagespeed.ce.jz1nB6CMOI.png Is it a crime to pass any bill later ruled unconstitutional?

c) dishonest in their duties? who decides this, courts or the senate?

No doubt that hardly any serving politician in the western world would stand up under these if true. In my opinion, this is just another joke.

I do agree that the senate process seems invalid based on what has been reported for the bill, but then the senate also did not pass it, so where is the foul?

Everyone needs to play by the rule book, red and yellow and the rainbow.

what you don't understand is that even the democrats supported a fully elected senate. But the speaker and deputy added a clause that would allow MP's wives and children to become senators and lengthen thier term of office so as they could get complete control of the senate and negate the whole purpose of the senate. Just like they sneaked in extra clauses in the amnesty bill.

What you describe as "the clause" happens all the time in the US before the final vote. Courts have no jurisdiction over the congressional process or the members actions in congress. Courts do have jurisdiction over "constitutional" issues.

"the clause" happens all the time in the US before the final vote

Please stop misinforming this forum, as what you write cannot and never has happened in the US legislature. Every word is agreed to by a 51% majority before it is sent to the President to be signed into law or vetoed and no way can the final bill be changed from what was voted on by both houses. Hell, it's published in the public record for all to see. If you can give me even one citation to prove what you say, I will eat my hat. I follow the US government closely and even post a daily newsletter, on what they are doing, for my 26 subscribers. Stop lying.