cbr 250 ticking update

KRS1

and why the hell they have to take off my steering stem nut ????

the new washer isnt even the right size, you can see the abrasion marks from the original one and the width it should be.

damnit

But it's a good occasion to vent at someone, being in the right.

Anyway, I've seen shims being grinded before, because the proper thickness was simply unobtainable, and the bike had to be completed no ifs and whens.

If the shim contact the cam lobe, one would put the grinded size on the other side. It it contact the rocker arm, it doesn't even matter much.

What matters is that the correct gap is achieved.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shims are expensive (relatively) because they are precision machined. No way can a guy with grinder guarantee that the shim will be uniform and true afterwards….

OP, if you want a job done properly….. You know the rest….

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

acceleration is way way way down man.

before i could shift from 5th to 6th and the bike would lunge forward, now it drops off. sad.png

Its been 2 hours since you posted the problem and you don't have the bike opened yet.

LOL...been ripping around the superhighway trying to get the ecu to relearn to see if it helps, batts been disconnected for a week...and to get batt voltage back up to decrease alternator drag, and oil back in the journals, readjusted chain slack also.

helped a tiny bit, but...still doesnt climb as quickly like it use to. Steady cruise to climb at WOT is half of what it use to be (it climbs like a stock bike now)...Making noise but it aint moving like before.

before i could shift from 5th to 6th and the bike would lunge forward, now it drops off. sad.png

Its been 2 hours since you posted the problem and you don't have the bike opened yet.

LOL...been ripping around the superhighway trying to get the ecu to relearn to see if it helps, batts been disconnected for a week...and to get batt voltage back up to decrease alternator drag, and oil back in the journals, readjusted chain slack also.

helped a tiny bit, but...still doesnt climb as quickly like it use to. Steady cruise to climb at WOT is half of what it use to be (it climbs like a stock bike now)...Making noise but it aint moving like before.

That would be the last thing to do. They put out of tolerance shims in a critical area. You can easily destroy your cams or more.

sorry to hear these man.

just drive a bit more if still the same, sell it asap and get a new one or put the money to a new honda cbr300 or get an old model kawa ninja250 for cheap. if they say true, yamaha r150 will go for 80 k too.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

That would be the last thing to do. They put out of tolerance shims in a critical area. You can easily destroy your cams or more.

...but it was tempting sad.png

now i have to buy a micrometer, i took it to the dealer so i wouldnt have to.

There is one thing that concerns me...When i was looking at the rocker, the arm that goes over the missing shim, was actually sitting inside the hole where the shim should have been. This doesnt strike me as being correct, but the 'mechanic' told me that was because the valve train wasnt assembled, but the valve train wasnt even removed yet, only the cam. I hope that fool didnt grind the shim to make clearance for that.

...and now, im looking at the receipt again and there is no 'retainer' listed in the parts list, the old retainer is all bent up from the rocker smacking into it.....just great, these fools trying to kill me or what?

Edited by KRS1

sorry to hear these man.

just drive a bit more if still the same, sell it asap and get a new one or put the money to a new honda cbr300 or get an old model kawa ninja250 for cheap. if they say true, yamaha r150 will go for 80 k too.

cant do a 150, too small.

dont even know if i can do honda again after this quality service they gave me. Buying a used Ninja 300 in CNX you have a 50/50 chance of buying someones wrecked bike.

dont know what im going to do at the moment, but if the Yamaha 300 was here id buy it tomorrow.

on a side note, doi suthep has been repaved and the surface is most awesome !...and today i received my fox troy lee 5400 knee guards from the US (just for street riding) so its making this bike service pain a little less painful. Im wearing them now as i type this...LOL

• Like 1

There is one thing that concerns me...When i was looking at the rocker, the arm that goes over the missing shim, was actually sitting inside the hole where the shim should have been. This doesnt strike me as being correct, but the 'mechanic' told me that was because the valve train wasnt assembled, but the valve train wasnt even removed yet, only the cam. I hope that fool didnt grind the shim to make clearance for that.

...and now, im looking at the receipt again and there is no 'retainer' listed in the parts list....just great, these fools trying to kill me or what?

Parts list beside, if the shim is missing it has disintegrated or it's sitting somewhere waiting to cause damage.

Time to sell i guess.

...and now, im looking at the receipt again and there is no 'retainer' listed in the parts list....just great, these fools trying to kill me or what?

Parts list beside, if the shim is missing it has disintegrated or it's sitting somewhere waiting to cause damage.

Time to sell i guess.

they found the shim next to the valve spring, you could tell it was hit hard though, there was metal frayed on the edge, like when you tear a beer can in half and the rip line will be slightly frayed up.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Nat Motors always been good for me. Came recommended by a long time friend who has bought a few bikes from them, recently a CRF250.

They are all good when they sell... it's different when it comes to the service.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Nat Motors always been good for me. Came recommended by a long time friend who has bought a few bikes from them, recently a CRF250.

They are all good when they sell... it's different when it comes to the service.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

even the big dealerships are hit and miss when it comes to service :

Someone at Nat Motors on Huay Kaew road stole my steering stem washer, under the nut and replaced it with a smaller diameter one....why, i have no idea.

The only thing i can think of, is to pull the triple clamp to get access to the ignition barrel code, a new key can be made once someone has the code...or maybe they just wanted my washer ? a 20 baht part...c'mon man, nickel and diming parts off my bike ?

Titanium is great nice and light but has problem with stress fractures. Years ago had friend with high end bicycle and lots of titanium bits and pieces he was constantly inspecting and checking he didn't want a front axel breaking at 60mph down the mountain. It does have advantages but also it has disadvantages.

• Like 1