Thai Constitutional Court voids February election

webfact

You need to learn the proticol

Many will say your just a newbie or a fake untill you score 500 posts

so this will give you plenty of time to practice

and in the mean time back to the real boys

..................................................................................

Haha. One thing I must admit about our dear Tezza. He might be old and mumbling incoherently with spittle dribbling down the side of his mouth most times but he shoots with a shotgun indiscriminately and doesn't care who he hits clap2.gif

..................................................................................

If you had of read my posting correctly you will see I wrote

"MANY WILL SAY"

At no time did I say I agree with this notion or not

In fact in the last 3 months, 6 members have joined TVF at my request and they are all under the 500 figure postings

so if I am indiscriminately shooting with a shotgun

at least I'm not fireing blanks,,

and you are a mind reader who can say exactly what I am thinking

mmmmhhhh, now who is the puppet show ?

Hahaha. Your mind is in such a phugoid state that even the best mind reader in the world can't read it clap2.gif

Maybe your right

But you just admitted your a hypocrite because you posted you could

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear friends, foes and other posters,

I had enough. Still a dozen or so replies not seen and certainly not responded to, but I had enough. Terribly sorry if a non-reply will upset you, but I'm only a single person and have other interests as well. I may have a look over the weekend, but no promise there.

Mind you, I'm sure you guys will manage to rake up a few hundred replies more here in this particular topic before the weekend is done.

Stay cool, grab a beer and keep smiling,

elderly Dutch grandfather rubl

My dear rubl,

Like I told you on another thread, please know when to give up fighting a lost point. Yes, the elections have been ruled invalid as they were not held on the same day. And the reason for this? Suthep / PDRC. Seems that this point is obvious to all and sundry but for you.

You ignore that the government was warned that the elections wouldn't be able to be held on a single day. They still pushed on. They were told by a court they could postpone by issuing a new Royal Decree, they were told to sort things out with the EC. They ignored, obfuscated, delayed and now it's Suthep's fault?

Like another poster has said, the CC has ruled and it's water under the bridge now. I can see that you will not be swayed from your view point and I will not bother to try. As I am younger, my mind is more open to differing view points. In any case, most of the informed posts that I have read (and not from TV) states a different POV from your beliefs. I am more inclined to those views, no offence meant.

By the way, obfuscated / obfuscation has synonyms as well, in case you would like to vary your posts somewhat.

• Like 1

My dear rubl,

Like I told you on another thread, please know when to give up fighting a lost point. Yes, the elections have been ruled invalid as they were not held on the same day. And the reason for this? Suthep / PDRC. Seems that this point is obvious to all and sundry but for you.

You ignore that the government was warned that the elections wouldn't be able to be held on a single day. They still pushed on. They were told by a court they could postpone by issuing a new Royal Decree, they were told to sort things out with the EC. They ignored, obfuscated, delayed and now it's Suthep's fault?

Ahh yes it is Sutheps fault as he mobilised all these actions against the majority of Thai people. This cannot be argued with. If he had not done so. All Thais would have been able to go to the polls. The EC only issued warnings due to Sutheps actions. Let's not forget the facts here.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's no mention of when a fresh new election will be held. This court obviously wants to deliberately create a power vacuum. These right-wing machinations are now so brazen and transparent it is a national embarrassment.

People who know they are going to lose, cheat, usually by making up the rules as they go along. It's corruption on a cosmic scale, and this form of corruption is now the primary means which the right-wing/royalist/yellow side uses to gain power without an electoral mandate. They've done it before so of course they will try it again.

Given that the two sides seem to be of roughly equal power (at least while the army is keeping out of it), I can only see two solutions: one is the miraculous appearance of a non-aligned, capable, charismatic (and liberal) leader who can set up a new party on a new set of principles - an opportunity there for somebody.

The other is to accept this nonsense with forbearance until a simple and inevitable stroke of force majeure changes the political landscape radically.

Judicial conspiracy theories are not necessary. The EC publicly warned the government ad nauseum that it was not possible to conduct an election under the circumstances, and the government disregarded the EC's advice. The court is merely interpreting the law, what else would you have them do? It's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date - but not before the government does some (I would imagine, rather ugly) politicking to make the poll possible.

Once an election has been called it is an absolute requirement of the constitution that it be held within six weeks of the house dissolution. The only role of the EC is to then organise the election. What on earth ever gave you the idea that the EC has the authority to warn the government of Thailand that it should break its obligations under the constitution?

Also, who told you that " it's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date"? Only governments have the authority to call elections. I thought everyone knew that.

Wouldn't the EC have the responsibility to warn the government if they feel they will not be able to conclude the general elections in a single day? Didn't a court rule that the government could issue a new Royal Decree? Didn't the same court suggest the government sort it out with the EC? Didn't the government accept the ruling, with Pheu Thai MP's very vocal on "need to continue", obfuscation from the PM, feet dragging and delaying till it was election day?

• Like 2

Dear friends, foes and other posters,

I had enough. Still a dozen or so replies not seen and certainly not responded to, but I had enough. Terribly sorry if a non-reply will upset you, but I'm only a single person and have other interests as well. I may have a look over the weekend, but no promise there.

Mind you, I'm sure you guys will manage to rake up a few hundred replies more here in this particular topic before the weekend is done.

Stay cool, grab a beer and keep smiling,

lol rubl keep posting old man . we enjoy your views from both sides of the spectrum ;) Cricketnut!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My dear rubl,

Like another poster has said, the CC has ruled and it's water under the bridge now. I can see that you will not be swayed from your view point and I will not bother to try. As I am younger, my mind is more open to differing view points. In any case, most of the informed posts that I have read (and not from TV) states a different POV from your beliefs. I am more inclined to those views, no offence meant.

By the way, obfuscated / obfuscation has synonyms as well, in case you would like to vary your posts somewhat.

You start to get a bit insulting there, young master gweilo

An open mind suggest to be able to listen to other opinions which I do. An open mind doesn't mean accepting other opinions as facts or the simple truth though. Don't worry, most youngsters learn that lesson eventually.

Cheers,

• Like 2

You need to learn the proticol

Many will say your just a newbie or a fake untill you score 500 posts

so this will give you plenty of time to practice

and in the mean time back to the real boys

Haha. One thing I must admit about our dear Tezza. He might be old and mumbling incoherently with spittle dribbling down the side of his mouth most times but he shoots with a shotgun indiscriminately and doesn't care who he hits clap2.gif

If you had of read my posting correctly you will see I wrote

"MANY WILL SAY"

At no time did I say I agree with this notion or not

In fact in the last 3 months, 6 members have joined TVF at my request and they are all under the 500 figure postings

so if I am indiscriminately shooting with a shotgun

at least I'm not fireing blanks,,

and you are a mind reader who can say exactly what I am thinking

mmmmhhhh, now who is the puppet show ?

Hahaha. Your mind is in such a phugoid state that even the best mind reader in the world can't read it clap2.gif

Maybe your right

But you just admitted your a hypocrite because you posted you could

Honestly Tezza, your thoughts are so profound, your posts so unpredictable and at an intellectual level that completely flies over my head, that it's a non-contest. I lose :)

My dear rubl,

You start to get a bit insulting there, young master gweilo

An open mind suggest to be able to listen to other opinions which I do. An open mind doesn't mean accepting other opinions as facts or the simple truth though. Don't worry, most youngsters learn that lesson eventually.

Cheers,

Yes, rereading what I posted, I can see that. If I may, I would like to retract and offer my apologies. No insult was meant.

• Like 1

There's no mention of when a fresh new election will be held. This court obviously wants to deliberately create a power vacuum. These right-wing machinations are now so brazen and transparent it is a national embarrassment.

People who know they are going to lose, cheat, usually by making up the rules as they go along. It's corruption on a cosmic scale, and this form of corruption is now the primary means which the right-wing/royalist/yellow side uses to gain power without an electoral mandate. They've done it before so of course they will try it again.

Given that the two sides seem to be of roughly equal power (at least while the army is keeping out of it), I can only see two solutions: one is the miraculous appearance of a non-aligned, capable, charismatic (and liberal) leader who can set up a new party on a new set of principles - an opportunity there for somebody.

The other is to accept this nonsense with forbearance until a simple and inevitable stroke of force majeure changes the political landscape radically.

Judicial conspiracy theories are not necessary. The EC publicly warned the government ad nauseum that it was not possible to conduct an election under the circumstances, and the government disregarded the EC's advice. The court is merely interpreting the law, what else would you have them do? It's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date - but not before the government does some (I would imagine, rather ugly) politicking to make the poll possible.

Once an election has been called it is an absolute requirement of the constitution that it be held within six weeks of the house dissolution. The only role of the EC is to then organise the election. What on earth ever gave you the idea that the EC has the authority to warn the government of Thailand that it should break its obligations under the constitution?

Also, who told you that " it's up to the government and the EC to work out a new election date"? Only governments have the authority to call elections. I thought everyone knew that.

The EC has an OBLIGATION to warn the government if it believes the election is unfeasible it can't carry out its duties, it's standard duty of care. They would have been negligent if they didn't, and as it turns out they were right.

Since the political environment hasn't improved, the government unilaterally calling another election will have the same result, ie. failure. Obviously they need to consult the EC on how to create an environment in which a poll can successfully be held and obviously that is going to include some discussion of the date.

Any more questions?

• Like 1

What a circus! The ultimate aim is for Thailand to have a democracy Thai style which is one that the amataya or Bangkok/Army Elite are comfortable with.....

< yawn >

Can we move on from "amart" and "elite" . . . your boss and his cronies are just as much "elite" as anyone else involved in this . . .

I don't know where you think I work, but I have no boss in Thailand, and I think my boss as little or no knowledge of Thai politics. As for my opinion, it is formed over knowing and understanding Thai people of every level from farmers/garbage collectors/cooks/drivers/business men/secretaries/government officials and politicians. There are a huge number of non-Bangkok citizens that feel completely disenfranchised by the ongoing judicial politics. No matter what you say or feel, the heart of Bangkok is not the heart of Thailand, and that is where these people are coming from. Thai politics will continue "Thai Style" and the unspoken influence is a swaying factor that all Thai's consider. The problem is when the masses are disenfranchised I personally worry about Thailand working towards something of the natural of Cambodia in the 1970's, and that we do not want to see. Where is their voice? If it can't be at the poles, where can it be?

"Knowing and understanding Thai people".

Really?

Good luck with that.

and do tell- how is the CIA driven Lon Nol regiem- running past post Vietnam Colonial era influence, playing out the Cold War game between the Soviets and the US- leading into Pol Pot's Cambodia even remotely the same as present day Thailand?

You might want to spend less time, "knowing Thai people" and more time with a few thousand pages of the history of this region before you say such patently absurd things. Even a person on vacation here for a 3 day holiday knows about the elections here.

Let me guess, your GF is a Farmer, and while it is fashionable to be on the side of the "underdog"-its is probably better to on the side of sobriety and not fanciful delusions in which you feign yourself the champion of a sector of Thai population, - they wouldn't save you, even if they had the chance- and as a person that has an education ans some experience in Thailand- you should know better.

• Like 1

I watched tens of thousands of university students inconvenience themselves, many traveling hundreds of kilometers and taking up to a full day's travel each way, so that they could have their vote heard. The courts make a mockery of their efforts. No wonder that many of them end up so cynical about politics the ability of government to do its job. The court has just shot themselves (as part of the government) in their other foot.

Tens of thousands....were they marching by your house?....

No, they were missing in our Monday classes from our 50,000-student-body university after the Sunday election--a regular phenomenon at every election because of the many students who travel up to 300 kilometers on country roads and cow paths to get to their rural villages.

Notice how every forum has at least one numbskull naysayer who thinks it's his God-given mission to prove everyone else a liar? Respectfully, get a life. passifier.gif

Missing from Monday classes. Far be it from anyone to think that students would take advantage of an election to skip classes by saying they had to travel 300 kilometers on country roads and cow paths to get to their villages. I expect some of them actually did travel to their villages but 20,000 or more?

• Like 1

ok, there would be the next one, with the same effect - reds will win the majority, democrats will be losing support (that even if they contest an election).

the country is going down the drain, not the government, but courts, agencies running amok, destroying what is left from the reasonable economic, political and social stability

If PT win, then that's fine. However if they rule in the same manner they did last time round, this chaos will just start again. They and others need to start thinking in more consensus political ways.

Oh yes, no blanket amnesties, no avoiding gaol for crimes committed and, for pity's sake, no more rice schemes.

How about arresting your beloved suthep to start with.

The EC has an OBLIGATION to warn the government if it believes the election is unfeasible it can't carry out its duties, it's standard duty of care. They would have been negligent if they didn't, and as it turns out they were right.

Since the political environment hasn't improved, the government unilaterally calling another election will have the same result, ie. failure. Obviously they need to consult the EC on how to create an environment in which a poll can successfully be held and obviously that is going to include some discussion of the date.

Any more questions?

If the government would have taken EC's suggestion to delay the 2 Feb elections, they would have been in breach of the 60 day deadline as stipulated by the constitution, no question about it. As such, the govt had no choice but to go ahead with the elections as this was constitutionally, the only way forward.

Up until the decision today, even the EC could not say for certain that the elections would be voided due to the same date / day requirement.

However, as of now, we have not heard how the CC's ruling would affect future elections with regards to advance voting, a practice that has been happening previously. Moreover, they have set the precedent for future elections to be easily disrupted and therefore declared null and void as well. IMO, this is a very poor ruling and whilst it might have been within the letter of the law, it is definitely not within the spirit of the law.

• Like 2

Any more questions?

This said, it would be utterly non sensical for a government to stop an election because of the fear that it may not be completed.

The plan should be to try to complete it, and if it cannot, rule on the outcome and see if it is sufficient to achieve a quorum. If it isn't then one would assume that the next step would be for the CC to state that there should either be another election or that the government has to complete the rest of the constituencies, and if anyone trys to prevent that from occuring they should be punished under the law.

Declaring it void, is a bit odd, because it isn't as though people didn't pitch to vote, the results should be announced, the election declared void, and then another held.

• Like 2

It is a most basic rule in law that a party that prevents another from carrying out legal duties cannot use that illegal blocking as a grounds for a lawsuit. It was not the sitting government that caused the elections to be delayed a day. It was PDRC et al. Crime does pay here, as if we didn't already know that.

+1

Something along the lines of the ultra vires doctrine as applied to corporations. But I wonder if there are any legal experts on the forum that would care to present a more substantial legal argument?

Any more questions?

This said, it would be utterly non sensical for a government to stop an election because of the fear that it may not be completed.

The plan should be to try to complete it, and if it cannot, rule on the outcome and see if it is sufficient to achieve a quorum. If it isn't then one would assume that the next step would be for the CC to state that there should either be another election or that the government has to complete the rest of the constituencies, and if anyone trys to prevent that from occuring they should be punished under the law.

Declaring it void, is a bit odd, because it isn't as though people didn't pitch to vote, the results should be announced, the election declared void, and then another held.

Very interesting point. In reality, the 02 Feb elections has NOT BEEN COMPLETED. So in effect, the CC has ruled on an election IN PROGRESS.

I have polished up a picture of my favorite monkey. I will take it through the Moo Baan and offer 500 Baht if they will vote for it. I expect 100% participation. My monkey my be the right one to do the job.

It would do a better job than the 'pig's ear' that Yingluck has made of it!!

Any more questions?

No questions at all. The one......the only.......obligation on the EC is to do its job and run an election. In a democracy, failure to run an election is not an option. In pursuit of its obligations the EC has the authority to call on the awesome might of the state, both police and army, to ensure that 48 million people are free to cast their votes unhindered. The government, for very good reasons, is prohibited from sending armed forces to polling stations.

If the so-called election commissioners believed they were not up to the job then their proper course would have been to resign. As many people have already pointed out, the present laughable state of affairs gives any gang of goons with guns an absolute veto over democracy in Thailand. Believe you me, that's not a situation that will be tolerated for long.

Any more questions?

Very interesting point. In reality, the 02 Feb elections has NOT BEEN COMPLETED. So in effect, the CC has ruled on an election IN PROGRESS.

actually. it has been voided because it cannot comply with the constitution in that it could not be completed on a single day (in which it has to do in order for it to be to be validated)!!

Well the government has clearly shown that it was incapable of governing the country and so the proper course would be to have resigned (not just to have dissolved the house only to contest the election again).

Any more questions?

actually. it has been voided because it cannot comply with the constitution in that it could not be completed on a single day (in which it has to do in order for it to be to be validated)!!

Care to expand on how this will affect advance voting? Or are you saying that advance voting will also render an election void?

Well the government has clearly shown that it was incapable of governing the country and so the proper course would be to have resigned (not just to have dissolved the house only to contest the election again).

Putting aside your bias, do you know of any government anywhere in the world who has chosen your "proper course"?

ok, there would be the next one, with the same effect - reds will win the majority, democrats will be losing support (that even if they contest an election).

dems wanted a new parliament, PM dissolved the house, dems boycotted the election. The reds won, election invalidated by yellow's palls from the court, dems call for boycott of the next poll.

the country is going down the drain, not the government, but courts, agencies and fascist mob on the streets running amok, destroying what is left from the reasonable economic, political and social stability.

Ah the usual everybody else is wrong except Puea Thai excuse once again.

We are so misunderstood.

Never mind that what we did may have been wrong.

Never mind that we may have broken laws and the rules of parliament that put us here.

EVERYBODY ELSE is wrong.

Well boo hoo hoo.

Cue for MORE tears from Yingluck and MORE threats and violence from the UDD/Red Shirts.

I think that MOST of the credit for the current state of affairs belongs to the Pheu Thai party and the government. Their greed, stupidity, incompetence, and disregard for the law and ignorance on how to run a country democratically led the country here. More or less if they had played by the rules and put a little thought and competence into governance, none of this would have happened. IMHO.

Any more questions?

Exactly. Who is to say that the votes are insufficient, until all the boxes have been opened, and counted. You can't do that without counting and announcing.

When the institutions of the state set themselves against the will of the people, there's only ever going to be one outcome. History shows that pitchforks beat bayonets every time.

Talk us through how the Pol Pot regime was overthrown. Is that recent enough for you?

Care to expand on how this will affect advance voting? Or are you saying that advance voting will also render an election void?

advanced voting is spelled out in the constitution, so it wouldn't render an election void.

• Like 1