Flight into CNX Cancelled

realthaideal

Have seen a few people post on Facebook about flights cancelled due to Chiang Mai air quality. A real bummer. I live near the airport and have only heard about 3 flights in the last 3 hours take off, and none landing. Unusually slow for a Friday. Does anybody have any concrete info on this ?

I found one thing on CM108, but it's all in Thai. Basically, it says that the CM airport scene is chaotic and that many flights have been cancelled. There are also some pix of the terrible air and some PM10 ratings from earlier today. No news on what's to happen next/ outlook for future incoming flights.

Link to article: http://www.cm108.com/bbb/index.php/topic/2013-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88/

Edited by realthaideal

I see people post lots of things on Thaivisa that aren't actually accurate. wink.png

Flights are landing just fine. Some are delayed a bit but that's not unusual.

And flights to/from airports without ILS systems could be cancelled, that would apply to Pai and Mae Hong Son flights.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if there is less demand to fly up to Chiang Mai right now, so TG cancelled a flight.

post-64232-0-93910900-1395385223_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Although... what those Malaysian Air Asia planes are up to is a mystery to me.

Thai Air Asia planes (and TG, and PG, etc.) are landing just fine, but these planes from KL are just dicking around.. Wonder why they're different.

post-64232-0-16583100-1395386901_thumb.j

Also the Dragon Air flight from Hong Kong seems to have gone to Bangkok first, and is only now arriving in Chiang Mai. (Was scheduled for this morning)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Isn't it normally the case that the smog is worse in the morning? That could explain why the AM flights couldn't land and are now coming back.

Yes, it's typically worse in the morning, with some clearing happening in the afternoon. (Relatively speaking to the morning situation.. :( )

• Like 1

Lived in Melbourne for a long time, and we would wait for the sun to burn off the smog very often. I only know this because it's what the weatherman said on the radio, so logic tells me it should always be better in the afternoon.

If CNX has an operating ILS system then why can't a 747 land on its own regardless of visibility?

Even ILS has minimums that have to be followed. Fully automatic landing is done very rarely and usually for maintaining pilot knowledge. It also depends on the CAT level of the airport and aircraft such as CAT I CAT II, CAT III etc. as to what can be allowed for ILS and auto landing systems. I believe the airport and aircraft have to satisfy CAT III to allow it.

Watched a Thai air Jumbo this coming coming into land, wheels down, final approach, nose lifted, power piled on and away he went, that happened twice, after that it went back to Bangkok

That would be the one that flew back to Bangkok, refueled and came straight back.

Although for some reason, someone felt that should not be written here?!

FD3445 and TG102 from BKK are both returning to BKK.

AK1914 from KL is heading, I suspect, to BKK

PG215 is circling south of CNX

Hope nobody in the airport is waiting for a flight to BKK to connect to an international flight. They could be in big Doh Doh.

edit -

PG215 tried to land but has just gone around, maybe for another try?

Edited by briley

Winnie. Read cm108, yo ! It's real.

Well, there's definitely some impact with some delays and general weirdness.

But flights are landing and departing.

(And AK1916 from KL is finally done going in circles and looks to be landing now. wink.png )

You say Weirdness ? Well, that explains a lot. Thank you.