Riding on the sidewalk.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there is one thing we are going to agree on, you never get involved in any fights or arguments with a Thai, as it is almost certain you will need to take on six of them, and as you say, you would only lose.

Please remember, although you say you would never endanger anyone, there are people dead because of other people who said they would never endanger anyone.

All those half wits that ride on the wrong side of the road and force you into the path of oncoming traffic, are also people who think they would not endanger anyone.

This country has about the 3rd highest fatalities involving traffic in the world, and people who ride along sidewalks contribute to that.

OK driving on the wrong side of the road is 100% wrong shoot those monkeys for me.

Thailand is actually No.2 in the Worldwide road fatality stakes. I honestly don't know if this includes sidewalks. But Roadkill definitely No.2.

I promise and assure you I am a very safe, considerate and polite sidewalk driver. I even stop for pedestrians!

I don't fight with Thais just give them some money and bugger off! Cheaper in the long run. God Bless.

One last thing, and then we can just agree to disagree about riding on the sidewalk, I am going to ask you a question. About what is the top speed you ride at along the sidewalk? Please tell the truth.

Very slow, I assure you. I have a big bike and only use the sidewalk to circumvent traffic jams. I never look at the speedo just listen to the revs but I doubt if it's in excess of 20-25 kph. My bike stops on a dime and I would certainly stop to let pedestrians pass first. Steam always gives way to sail!

Now there is one thing we are going to agree on, you never get involved in any fights or arguments with a Thai, as it is almost certain you will need to take on six of them, and as you say, you would only lose.

Please remember, although you say you would never endanger anyone, there are people dead because of other people who said they would never endanger anyone.

All those half wits that ride on the wrong side of the road and force you into the path of oncoming traffic, are also people who think they would not endanger anyone.

This country has about the 3rd highest fatalities involving traffic in the world, and people who ride along sidewalks contribute to that.

OK driving on the wrong side of the road is 100% wrong shoot those monkeys for me.

Thailand is actually No.2 in the Worldwide road fatality stakes. I honestly don't know if this includes sidewalks. But Roadkill definitely No.2.

I promise and assure you I am a very safe, considerate and polite sidewalk driver. I even stop for pedestrians!

I don't fight with Thais just give them some money and bugger off! Cheaper in the long run. God Bless.

One last thing, and then we can just agree to disagree about riding on the sidewalk, I am going to ask you a question. About what is the top speed you ride at along the sidewalk? Please tell the truth.

Very slow, I assure you. I have a big bike and only use the sidewalk to circumvent traffic jams. I never look at the speedo just listen to the revs but I doubt if it's in excess of 20-25 kph. My bike stops on a dime and I would certainly stop to let pedestrians pass first. Steam always gives way to sail!

At least you are honest, say 20KPH on a "big bike"??????? What chance has anyone, especially a child going to have coming out of a shop doorway or alleyway into your path? Sorry, but I could not resist asking that,

And by the way ATF, the annual fatalities is about 80% motorcyclists whether it is on the roads or sidewalks.

No.1 Cause of deaths for Thai males aged under 40 is Motorcycles or Alcohol or a combination of both. It's also one of the major causes of prostitution due to the lack of an income provider.

• Like 1

The only people who have been upset out my sidewalk escapades have been tourists.

You only have to look at the hundreds of bikes parked on the sidewalk - they don't fly there!

Are you saying you regularly ride on the side walk? Are you a Farang? If so, I hope some tourist clocks you one. Forget about whether it is illegal or not, what about common sense?

Charming response....

Just abiding by local laws mate - when conditions require, pay due diligence??

Try not to slam the door...

Good topic I almost started it myself a few weeks ago......

While walking on the sidewalk at Patong beach with my 3 year old son,

He was almost hit by one of many motor bikes driven on the sidewalk there happens all the time,

beating the one way traffic.

I jumped between him and the bike almost took us both out.

I cursed at the Big Eassan Buff woman driving the bike (sure she not know what I say)

and she just continued on her way as if nothing happened.

Land of smiles my asssss.

So your in the south of Thailand and you assumed she was from Issan because she was a poor driver?

Seems an odd mental jump to me unless you knew her or heard her speak or are perhaps picking up some of the prejudices of our local hosts.

I am pretty sure there are some non-Issan Thais riding motorbikes on sidewalks.

Since the woman driving the bike spoke to my wife in passing with a thai/Issan/lao dialect...

she was in fact from ISSAN...I did not ASSUME she was a bad driver...SHE WAS A BAD DRIVER..breaking the law.

She was driving on the sidewalk and almost hit my child YES that makes her a proven bad driver

Not a racial thing like you are assuming as there are plenty of crappy thai drivers in Phuket from all over Thailand ....geeeez

Edited by glassdude007

Riding on the sidewalk is illegal, if you are hit by a bike, the bike should have CTPL insurance (Compulsory Third Party Liability) which has limited cover.

If you are hit and injured the matter should be reported to the police for negotiation with the rider to pay for any injuries if there is no insurance.

I don't think it is illegal, why are so many of the sidewalks lowered at junctions? Certainly not for wheelchairs, nor for floods, the water will go on the road anyway.

A motorbike is allowed to use the sidewalk if the road is blocked. This is shown in the video that you have to watch when you renew your driver license.

Many people sleep instead of watching the video.

• Like 2

Riding on the sidewalk is illegal, if you are hit by a bike, the bike should have CTPL insurance (Compulsory Third Party Liability) which has limited cover.

If you are hit and injured the matter should be reported to the police for negotiation with the rider to pay for any injuries if there is no insurance.

I don't think it is illegal, why are so many of the sidewalks lowered at junctions? Certainly not for wheelchairs, nor for floods, the water will go on the road anyway.

A motorbike is allowed to use the sidewalk if the road is blocked. This is shown in the video that you have to watch when you renew your driver license.

Of course they are. But I am 100% certain that it is not illegal to ride M/C on the sidewalk. TiT.

Of course they are. But I am 100% certain that it is not illegal to ride M/C on the sidewalk. TiT.

Your last post doesn't make much sense, but if you are really pulling guys off their bikes if they ride on the sidewalk then you're going to get your ass handed to you fairly quickly.

• Like 1

"This country has about the 3rd highest fatalities involving traffic in the world, and people who ride along sidewalks contribute to that." Exactly where did you gleen that information from? In all my time in LOS I have yet to see anyone stupid enough to race along the extra bike lane.

Everyone, including me, is careful to mind the bumps and toot for the foot traffic approaching.

"This country has about the 3rd highest fatalities involving traffic in the world, and people who ride along sidewalks contribute to that." Exactly where did you gleen that information from? In all my time in LOS I have yet to see anyone stupid enough to race along the extra bike lane.

Everyone, including me, is careful to mind the bumps and toot for the foot traffic approaching.

What are you on about? I assume you are referring to the sidewalk as the extra bike lane. Are you saying that no one has been killed or injured by a M/C on a sidewalk? Out of about 80 fatalities a day involviing M/Cs I refuse to believe that, but just supposing no M/C has ever killed or injured anyone on a sidewalk, is it a case of waiting for it to happen? What bumps are you referring to? So you ride along the sidewalk not caring if anyone steps out from a shop doorway, and toot your horn at pedestrains to get out of your way? What sort of mentality is that?

At 20kph my bike will stop in about a foot or less.

Without you going over the handlebars????

Absolutely. Modern technology ABS. Dual front brake discs etc. However a M/C taxi with crappy brakes and a passenger on board will take much further to stop.

• Like 1

I don't hear Thai's referring to it as a sidewalk. It must be an extra bike lane or Thai's wouldn't use it. I thought it was 35 deaths a day on the roads from all sources of transport. The bumps and cracks 'n' broken roadway...surely you have seen it if your been to Bangkok or Pattaya. i've never seen anyone riding so fast they couldn't stop if a pedestidiot walked into their path. Of course I toot! I wouldn't be to happy if I ran over a pedestidiot and my scooter got damaged. What sort of mentality, common sense is what it is. Not tooting would make no sense! rolleyes.gif

> I believe it is not against Thai law to ride a motorcycle on the sidewalk.

The OP obviously has been long time in thailand biggrin.png

Eight years in Thailand, and the first time I was walking down the sidewalk with my girlfriend, her sister, and her sisters 7 year old daughter. A motorbike came down the sidewalk and I stopped him and tried to pull him off, and my girlfriend kept shouting at me "no, no, you go to jail" or words to that effect.

Most falungs and Thais ride their bikes on the sidewalk. It's an alternative to to sweating off your testicles in a traffic jam. You're lucky you listened to your girlfriend otherwise an m/c taxi gang would have kicked your a**. This is not Ireland it's Thailand and the sidewalks belong to bikes. Next thing you'll be complaining about the potholes!

You come down a sidewalk on a motorbike near me, and there are no witnesses, I will personally pull you off it. I am not just being a keyboard warrior here, I really mean it.

what happens when you pull the wrong person off their bike, and they stab you in the side of the head ?

I am not saying I have never got into fights with Thai people. By all rights I should have gone to jail in my younger years in Thailand. I've beat the crap out of cops and virtually everyone else. However I thank Thailand everyday for making me a better person and forgiving me for my wrongdoings. Just please try to understand that Thailand actually means Freeland and you have much more choices here than in the West. Motorbikes on sidewalks are a minor inconvenience in the great scheme of things. So enjoy what this great Country has to offer and salute Thailand.

I am not saying I have never got into fights with Thai people. By all rights I should have gone to jail in my younger years in Thailand. I've beat the crap out of cops and virtually everyone else. However I thank Thailand everyday for making me a better person and forgiving me for my wrongdoings. Just please try to understand that Thailand actually means Freeland and you have much more choices here than in the West. Motorbikes on sidewalks are a minor inconvenience in the great scheme of things. So enjoy what this great Country has to offer and salute Thailand.

Your probably right. Come here with a chip on your shoulder and someone will try and knock it off!

• Like 1

I don't hear Thai's referring to it as a sidewalk. It must be an extra bike lane or Thai's wouldn't use it. I thought it was 35 deaths a day on the roads from all sources of transport. The bumps and cracks 'n' broken roadway...surely you have seen it if your been to Bangkok or Pattaya. i've never seen anyone riding so fast they couldn't stop if a pedestidiot walked into their path. Of course I toot! I wouldn't be to happy if I ran over a pedestidiot and my scooter got damaged. What sort of mentality, common sense is what it is. Not tooting would make no sense! rolleyes.gif

So someone walks out of a shop doorway and you hit them ( you really think you could stop in time in a situation like that?) all you are concerned about is damage to your bike, what a poor speciman of humanity you are.

what a nonsense thread!

no it is not illegal to ride on the sidewalk and it is not legal either!

And in Thailand you have to watch your ass all the time where ever you are; on bike, pavements, bar etc.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I thought that if something was not illegal, then it was legal.

Always great to acquire new insights!

You would think so, anywhere else in the world but don't forget, we are talking about Thailand here.

On another note, I've noticed that on quite a lot of the sidewalks, there are actually painted white lines. Surely, this is not for the pedestrians?

If you want to ride on the sidewalk you should at least mount a loud aftermarket pipe to warn the pedestrians!

I agree.

One reason that I prefer a MC with a real clutch is that you can pull in the clutch and rev the engine as a Hello!

Tooting the horn is so tacky.

Paddy,

I love exposing the truth. This post was originally posted in Thai Visa Legal Forum. You didn't even get one response because the lawyer, who is Thai obviously thought this question came from someone who is a F%&*)^%#G RETARD!!! Every Thai person knows bikes drive the sidewalk and they are allowed to do so because there are no bike lanes and traffic is horrendous.

If you're worried about all the little "babbys" getting killed just think how many were killed by the IRA. You wouldn't walk down the Falls Road would you? Again you terrorist B#$$%%$D you were only really concerned with compensation anyway. Were you going to push your wife under a sidewalk rider?