i-mobile phones. Any reviews, opinions, advice appreciated.

Have any members purchased an i-mobile phone recently? If you have, what's your opinion of the phone?

I am considering purchasing the phone in the below link. The specs are good. I've handled it in a shop, but haven't been able to test one that's turned on.

http://product.i-mobilephone.com/1492_

I found the below thread, but it's over a year old.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/616950-i-mobile-iq6-evaluation-after-2-days-of-use/

More recent information would be appreciated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner has the IQ-X... It's a great phone... The only thing I would say about it is that the battery life is not so good and finding any third party cases is impossible...

Edited by sfokevin

About ten days ago, I bought an IQ 9.2 for 8,990 at the Samsung shop near Power Buy in MBK. I really love it. Its display and speed are very good and you can arrange various screens and launchers on it. My Nexus four only had the standard Google launcher available but now with Android 4.4 you can have two. The IQ 9.2 has many launchers available which can be downloaded for free from Google Play. When I first got the phone, I was using about 10% of the battery every 15 minutes. Now that I have WiFi and NFC turned off and have learned to turn off the screen before I put the phone in my pocket, I find that I use about 8% in an hour. If you want a six-inch screen (which I prefer,) the 9.2 is great. If you want a five-inch screen, the IQ 6.3 is good. It's the successor to the IQ X-3, which is also a nice phone. If you buy an imobile phone, you can get the latest model for much less than the leading four: Samsung, LG, HTC and Apple. I haven't picked up my Nexus 4 since I bought the imobile phone. Besides various shops in MBK, they are also available at IT City in Phantip. BTW, the Samsung shop gave me a free screen protector, a case and a 16 GB SD card with the phone. My advice is to buy from a big store to ensure the reliability of the warranty. Some of the small shops only offer a shop warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty.

If battery life is an important issue for you or anybody else reading this, I suggest checking out the LENOVO P-780. It's standout feature is a massive 4000 mAh battery that can last for three+ days of normal usage; no desperately looking for outlets in coffee shops or airports with this baby. It's sturdy rather than lightweight...the back is steel, not plastic. Specs are ordinary...nothing special. Has a 5" screen and runs Android 4.2.

One con is only 4 GB internal memory but it really is not an issue if one is careful to load apps onto the external (up to 32GB)memory.

The camera is decent, not spectacular and all applications run smoothly. I am not a heavy gamer so I can't address it's gaming capabilities but video playback works smoothly. This phone can be bought locally in Bangkok at JMart and other large shops for about B7500.

I've had mine 3 months now and am very happy with it.

The after-sales warranty service takes at least 3-weeks after the product's returned to the service center. That's from experience and the word of the service center staff. I think that's excellent for a locally made electrical item tongue.png!

Edited by somchaismith

Haven't had the phone long enough to comment on screen durability but after two weeks the screen on my IQ 9.2 is still beautiful with no scratches. Puts my iPhone 4 and Nexus 4 to shame!

I have an IQ 5.3, bought about four months ago.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a phone and that model looked to be very good value for money at around 5000 Baht. I've been very pleased with it, so far. Power Buy in the Pattaya Tuk Com set it up for me and attached the screen protective film. A silicon rubber protector was also included in the price.

The only slight niggle that I have with the phone - and it is slight - is with the very small memory. The phone comes with only 4GB internal memory and a lot of that is used for the operating system and for storing your phone address book. That doesn't leave much room for installing applications. You can add up to another 32 GB by installing an SD card and most apps can be moved to this card. They still leave a 'footprint' in the internal memory though so it's still easily possible to run out of space if you install dozens of apps. Not really much of a problem - after all, how many apps do you really need!

DM

I've bought an IQ1 ~ one year ago.

Rooted it, so far so good.

After a few months, from one day to another, the Phone couldn't be recognized by any of my PC's.

I tried different USB cables, nothing. Charging via USB worked though.

Donated it to my wife, since she doesn't need an USB connection to PC.

2. If you hope for updates or upgrades: forget it!

My phone has never received anything, not even security fixes, so it sticks with JB 4.0.3. until today.

It's like always in TH: Sell and forget it.

3. Since these phones are only sold in TH, there is absolutely no (english speaking) community, like xda developers.

I wouldn't buy Imobile again, since nowadays there are better Chinese phones, for the same money available.

These Chinese ones are sold everywhere, so you have good chances of support from the community.

After a few months, from one day to another, the Phone couldn't be recognized by any of my PC's.

I got an OTA update about three weeks after I bought my 6.1.

My phone has never received anything, not even security fixes, so it sticks with JB 4.0.3. until today.

3. Since these phones are only sold in TH, there is absolutely no (english speaking) community, like xda developers.

I wouldn't buy Imobile again, since nowadays there are better Chinese phones, for the same money available.

These Chinese ones are sold everywhere, so you have good chances of support from the community.

The trick with I - Mobile phones is to try and find the same phone somewhere else. My old Q6 was the same as one sold in Germany and Indonesia. I managed to get a 4.2 rom for it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The trick with I - Mobile phones is to try and find the same phone somewhere else. My old Q6 was the same as one sold in Germany and Indonesia. I managed to get a 4.2 rom for it.

If you are lucky and finding the exactly identical model, ok.

I tried it, but with no luck, I even searched in Thai forums via Google translate.

But I found it's too risky, to brick the phone with a "compatible Rom".

Especially if you don't have CWM/TWRP installed. (Or the stock-rom is not available).

Nowadays, I would only buy phones, which are supported on XDA.

But XDA support might not be important for the average user.......until something breaks. biggrin.png

It seems that with media tek chipsets (at least earlier ones) its almost impossible to completely brick them .. mediatek have a flashing software (readily available) that you can use.. I was amazed!

Tip for finding the phone. Use the rom code or phone manufacturing code. In my case it was an Alps phone. Then it is easier finding the other rebranded names.

Edited by casualbiker

I-Mobile OCTO was recently released with a medis tek octo core 1.7GHz, 5 inch 1080P screen and 32 GB internal storage with 2 GB Ram. Anybody checked this model yet thinking of buying it 12900 Baht .

there is a review on bkk post. i can't post a link.. just go to the bkk post website and type in "octo" in the search on the right top.

I've had the same problem with the USB ports with my IQX3. It's nothing to do with the phone, from what I read it's to do with the computer. Some days the laptop recognises the phone on one USB port and other days not.

There are some English language forums on XDA as i-mobile phones are sold in the Philipines under the Starmobile brand.

Would I recommend buying one? Yes, it's a decent phone for the money.

I've had the same problem with the USB ports with my IQX3. It's nothing to do with the phone, from what I read it's to do with the computer. Some days the laptop recognises the phone on one USB port and other days not...

Nope, not in my case.

I've checked the phone on three different PC's/Laptops.

My other phones/tablets work with all three machines, but not the iMobile.

I guess, that one of the data pins from the USB socket lost the connectivity to the phones mainboard.

A re-soldering might have worked, but....

Anyway, without working USB => no Rom flashing.

In my case it was an Alps phone. Then it is easier finding the other rebranded names....

My IQ1 was an "Alps" too.

alps.ics2.mp.v1

Seems to be some generic Chinese manufacturer.

Edited by Turkleton

Alps is Japanese. Probably made at one of their factories up in Nagano.

Anyway, I've been looking for a phone for my friend that offers the best cost/performance deal and have settled on the IQ 6.3, the successor to the IQ X3. It runs Android 4.3 and has a 3000 mAh battery. I've looked at all of the others - Cherry, Oppo, Lenovo, Alcatel, etc. but like the 6.3 best. I think that it sells on Lazada for 6, 490. Not a bad price for that quality!

• 4 weeks later...

www.siamphone.com says that imobile phones cannot connect to the internet via wifi. Does anyone know if this is true?

What a load of "Tosh", i-Mobile phones connect to wi-fi easily. I still have somewhere a very early basic i-mobile phone that could only connect to the internet via wi-fi.

I got an IQ-9 for 6800baht from the local Tesco Lotus. There's not a bad thing I can say about this device tbh. It's not my main everyday phone (just needed the 5.7" screen) - but coming from a GS4 & iPhone5 - it's a nice device to use.

I bought an i-mobile iq X3 in november. Great phone, great camera and videos ... very happy till few days ago: battery life quickly become shorter ... and battery expand in the case making this deform too.

Reading various forum, blog and official i-mobile facebook page same like every X3 have the same problem after 4/6 months!!! Change battery at i-mobile at cost of 750THB or 500THB if before 6 months. Not easy to open the case... I still dunno how to open

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to buy an I-mobile phone.

My concern is will I be able to use the phone on an up coming business trip to the United States?

Are there any compatibility problems?

Edited by Milanman

My concern is will I be able to use the phone on an up coming business trip to the United States?

Probably .. check the frequency on the network in the US against the i-mobile you want.

Just poking around, looks like there's an issue. The US uses GSM 850 MHz and/or 1900 MHz depending on carrier and area. These phones, from the specs in the manuals, only seem to use GSM 900 1800 MHz.

I'm not sure, but I think if the GSM frequency isn't compatible, it wouldn't make a difference if the 3G frequency happens to line up.