Anyone applied for an ITIN for Thai wife lately?

A Thaivisa search brings up archived topics only with no way to post a question or reply and as tax time is rapidly approaching I need to file a joint return this year and will need to submit a W-7 for my wife and attach to my 2013 1040. I have read that I must also attach a statement signed by both my wife and I but I cannot find what information is needed on this "statement". Searching the IRS website has been rather frustrating so if anyone has any recent information regarding what is needed to submit the W-7 I would be in deep appreciation...

I also understand I will automatically be given a 2 month extension for filing but would just as soon get this yearly inconvenience out of the way.

anyone applied for a itin for your wife lately? to answer that question,has your wife ever worked in Thailand for an employer who should have registered her for tax.my wife and I returned to Thailand after she had been away for 20yrs.and when we made a claim for a tax refund on fixed savings acc.all her details where on computer,as she worked in the 80's if she hasn't she needs to go along to her local tax office and register they will do it for her.you need to get a move on 7 working days left.

Edited by meatboy

Hopefully someone with recent experience will be along shortly but I did this a few years ago.

There was no statment needed. The only thing required to be sent was ID. I'm sure you don't want to send originals of her ID so you should get a certified copy of her Thai passport made. That will need to be certified at the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs. The US Embassy used to do it but not any more.

I also suggest you make sure she can sign her name in english. I had to teach my wife how to sign her name (not just print it) and then practice a few times until she was consistent.

A printed name or signed in a foreign language may be acceptable but might also require witness statements to verify that is her "mark"

I did this last year for my non-Thai wife

Here the sample of the letter I included with her application.

February 26, 2014

To Whom It May Concern,
Ms. Jane Doe was a non-resident alien and Mr. John X Smith, a U.S. citizen, on the last day of tax
year 2013 and choose to be treated as U.S. residents the entire tax year.

YOUR SIGNATURE HER SIGNATURE

JOHN X SMITH JANE DOE
SSN 999-99-9999 ITIN pending

YOUR ADDRESS YOUR ADDRESS
ON 1040 FORM ON 1040 FORM

I did this 2 years ago for my non-Thai wife

I don't recall if the letter had to be notarized by the US Consulate. Call the IRS.

February 26, 2014

To Whom It May Concern,
Ms. Jane Doe was a non-resident alien and Mr. John X Smith, a U.S. citizen, on the last day of tax

JOHN X SMITH JANE DOE

Edited by vagabond48

I did this 2 years ago for my non-Thai wife

I don't recall if the letter had to be notarized by the US Consulate. Call the IRS.

February 26, 2014

To Whom It May Concern,

JOHN X SMITH JANE DOE

Vagabond, I'm curious, how you came to use/choose the language about "treated as U.S. residents," and the broader language listed.

What you're really telling the IRS, if I'm not mistaken, is that you want to file your taxes as married jointly, as opposed to married separately.

But either way, as someone living outside the U.S. for the majority of the year, you're not a "U.S. resident," right? But rather, U.S. national residing in a foreign country.

That, and, the letter you're using doesn't seem to make any reference to the two of you being married.

I've never had to request an ITIN for a foreign spouse, but I'm looking at having to do so for the next tax year. So I'm trying to figure out all this stuff.

I believe I also used that type of language was IRS determination to allow such filing is to be treated as a US resident. I would have to read again to be sure but know it was not just "joint tax return" language I used (although believe my post says that). But am quite sure there was no set format required as I had called them to ask and they just said write something and sign. If not a US resident or citizen she would not be subject to US tax and could not be included on a joint return.

I want to use my Thai spouse as an exemption on my 1040 but she needs a TIN. Their is a form that can be downloaded from the IRS site but they also want an original passport sent along with the form to an office in the USA. I am reluctant to send the passport so I haven't done this yet. Anyone successful with this experience?

I want to use my Thai spouse as an exemption on my 1040 but she needs a TIN. Their is a form that can be downloaded from the IRS site but they also want an original passport sent along with the form to an office in the USA. I am reluctant to send the passport so I haven't done this yet. Anyone successful with this experience?

Just today I received the following email from the IRS rep at the US Embassy Beijing which confirms what has already been posted in this tread. Also not that The US Embassy Bangkok does not certify Thai documents so I have used the same agent that certified marriage documents to get a certified copy of my Thai wife's Passport with the Thai Minister of Foreign Affairs, (MFA). The cost including EMS shipping is 1700 Baht.

Please see instructions to apply for ITIN below. No need to file any extension request, you have an automatic 2-month extension as overseas taxpayer. You can find almost everything on www.irs.gov

FILE JOINT TAX RETURN WITH U.S. SPOUSE

To apply for your ITIN, you will need to get all of the required documents listed below and mail them to the IRS Austin office (address is listed on the instructions of Form W-7):

· Completed Form W-7 – click on this link: http://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html;jsessionid=R+-g71pW4u+-63fGEc3IPg__?value=W-7&criteria=formNumber

· A certified copy of your passport – you can get this by schedule an appointment with the ACS (American Citizen Service) office at the nearest U.S. Consulate. They may charge a fee.

· Form 1040 for 2013completed and signed by both of you and put “Applied For” where it asks for your TIN/SSN