Thai Army's use of Red Cross sign questioned

webfact

Thai Army's Use Of Red Cross Sign Questioned
By Khaosod English

13954926591395492752l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A senior Thai Red Cross official has expressed concern over the display of Red Cross sign on security checkpoints manned by Thai army troops in Bangkok.

The Royal Thai Army has installed more than 170 checkpoints - nicknamed "bunkers" due to their use of sandbags and camouflages - in downtown Bangkok with a stated purpose to provide security to the public amid the ongoing anti-government protests.

However, some members of the public have raised concern over the display of the appearance of Red Cross sign on many of the said bunkers, as it might violate the International Red Cross guidelines.

Mr. Pichit Siriwan, M.D., deputy director of the Relief and Community Health Bureau, which operates under the Thai Red Cross, said while military units are allowed to display Red Cross signs, they must be strictly unarmed and clearly identified as non-combatant personnel.

The use of Red Cross signs must also be approved by the relevant authorities first, Mr. Pichit explained.

"If the situation is not life-threatening, and if it is not a war time, I think they should avoid displaying [the Red Cross signs] altogether," Mr. Pichit told our correspondent, adding that the symbols have been routinely misused by political groups whereas they should have been adopted only by impartial volunteer groups.

"I have asked many times not to use the Red Cross sign," Mr. Pichit complained, "Every side should respect the use of the symbol, so Red Cross International can remain an impartial agency that helps people in critical situation".

Nevertheless, Mr. Pichit refused to comment on the authenticity of an alleged Thai Red Cross letter which was purportedly filed to the Royal Thai Army, requesting the military bunkers to cease their display of Red Cross symbols on their banners.

In the purported letter, which is widely shared on the social network, the authors complained that armed soldiers are sometimes stationed inside bunkers bearing the Red Cross signs.

"I didn't sign that letter, so I can't comment about that," Mr. Pichit said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1395492659&section=11

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-24

• Like 2

Everything in Thailand is open to piracy and copyright laws have no meaning, unless of course you a copying a thai product but I don't think they have ever invented or made anything original.

Ouch. That had to hurt. Talking of which, how about Tiger Balm? Or is that Chinese?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Everything in Thailand is open to piracy and copyright laws have no meaning, unless of course you a copying a thai product but I don't think they have ever invented or made anything original.

Ouch. That had to hurt. Talking of which, how about Tiger Balm? Or is that Chinese?

It was developed during the 1870s in Rangoon, Burma, by herbalist Aw Chu Kin

• Like 1

The army should be very careful to not use the Red Cross symbol inappropriately and if they are they should stop.

As for Thai inventions there is Red Bull although it took someone else to extend it internationally. There also the patents on cloud seeding held by the king but that could be said to be partly down to his non Thai education although would still count as Thai.

I believe the Singaporeans have copied Songkran

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As for Thai inventions there is Red Bull although it took someone else to extend it internationally. There also the patents on cloud seeding held by the king but that could be said to be partly down to his non Thai education although would still count as Thai.

The biggest Thai invention is called THAINESS which cannot be counterfeited, not even by the Chinese.

• Like 2

I thought they invented the 2 faced smile...

You mean the 2000 faced smile ?

• Like 1

Excuse me, Mr Pichit. With all of my most humble respects, surely The Thai Red Cross Society should clean up their own misuse of the Red Cross Emblem so as to follow TRC's own mantra of "teaching by example"

• Like 1

I thought they invented the 2 faced smile...

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They definitely re-invented corruption :) does that count?

Apparently all Thai police are paratroopers, as evidenced by their insignia, so is it fair to assume all army personnel are doctors (or at least paramedics) as well?

So displaying the Red Cross would be fair and reasonable?

Unfortunately my guess would be the bunkered soldiers wouldn't know where the nearest pharmacy/hospital is let alone a first-aid kit.

The use of Red cross insignia here is disgraceful and dishonest.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 2

If it has made in Thailand on it you can bet it is a copy.

What's the point? Are military persons colocated with these bunker logos? Is a medic or medical equipment present? Will care be available to other soldiers or populace, if needed?

Red Cross does not own that image. Military units throughout the world have such logos as the "red cross." There are Geneva convention restrictions on inappropriate display and use but this is not to protect the Red Cross organization, rather to level the fair playing field of war (I know; absurd).

If the Red Cross attempted to send cease and desist regarding this issue established practice and law is not likely on their side. I've seen these soldiers in bunkers and I've not seen arms. You cannot copyright an iconic image that has existed since antiquity, irrespective of a modern organizational claim. This is such contrived nonsense.

Army medics are available at these "bunkers" who will treat anyone in need.

A justification for using an internationally recognised symbol indicating the availability of first aid.

AH! 170 bunkers with medics????? The thia army does not have that many drs and medics.And they dont carry guns.

whistling.gif I've been in areas of conflict and civil strife many times in my career.

Many places where there were international "peace keepers" stationed with the military of that country as well as with rebels in that country.

In all of them, the Red Cross symbol is an internationally recognized symbol of "first aid" and medical help for anyone who happens to be injured .... either accidently or otherwise in any conflict.

That's what that big Red Cross means .... it says medical aid is available here.

That's why in places of conflicts that Red Cross appears on ambulances and helicopters .... regardless of which "side" of the conflict the symbol appears on.

That Red Cross means, we are medics, we treat all and everyone who comes here in need of medical attention.

Don't shoot at us.

whistling.gif

I believe that you are incorrect. There are regulations in place for the use of the red cross or one of its alternative accepted symbols. I direct your attention to the Regulations which are based on the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, mainly on the First Convention (Convention for the amelioration of the condition of the wounded and sick in armed forces in the field) and, for certain provisions, on Protocol I of 8 June 1977 additional to the Geneva Conventions, relative to the protection of victims of international armed conflicts.

Article 44 of the First Geneva Convention of 12 August 1949 makes the distinction between the protective use and the indicative use of the emblem and outlines the general rules governing the two uses. Protocol I extends the protective use of the emblem by giving to the competent State authority (hereinafter " the Authority " ) the possibility of granting such use to categories of persons and objects not covered by the 1949 Conventions. It further introduces the possibility of using distinctive visual, acoustic or electronic signals.

Note Dr. Siriwan is deputy director of the Relief and Community Health Bureau, said "while military units are allowed to display Red Cross signs, they must be strictly unarmed and clearly identified as non-combatant personnel."

He is correct. If Thailand has breached the regulations for the use of the symbol, ipso facto it has violated the Geneva Convention which is no laughing matter. I expect that statement would not have been made unless some foreign governments have not voiced their concern. I believe that the concern would have been expressed by representatives of Sweden and Norway.

"Note Dr. Siriwan is deputy director of the Relief and Community Health Bureau, said "while military units are allowed to display Red Cross signs, they must be strictly unarmed and clearly identified as non-combatant personnel."

All combat medics carry at least a side arm for personal protection.
Edit
insert link
Edited by thepool
  • Like 1

What's the point? Are military persons colocated with these bunker logos? Is a medic or medical equipment present? Will care be available to other soldiers or populace, if needed?

Red Cross does not own that image. Military units throughout the world have such logos as the "red cross." There are Geneva convention restrictions on inappropriate display and use but this is not to protect the Red Cross organization, rather to level the fair playing field of war (I know; absurd).

If the Red Cross attempted to send cease and desist regarding this issue established practice and law is not likely on their side. I've seen these soldiers in bunkers and I've not seen arms. You cannot copyright an iconic image that has existed since antiquity, irrespective of a modern organizational claim. This is such contrived nonsense.

I think you're missing the point. It's not a question of who owns the image or copyright it's about the misuse of an internationally accepted symbol.

I suppose we should be grateful there are no hooks on the corners. whistling.gif