tinted windscreen

My wife has tinted windows of 60% original Toyota. At night it is really hard to see bicycles at the roads, especially if they don't have any light on them. There are loads of them around here.

Now she wants to order new film on the windscreen but i wonder if there is a real tinted glass windscreen availlable for the new Altis?

Why is everybody here using that crappy film? You can't see clear through that, even not the more expensive quality's.

What tint is the best to have? 40% or 50?

If you drive/walk around here without a light you are in big danger with all those dark windscreens. Just be aware of that.

• Like 1

I use 40% lamina film on the screen, its ok, the side and rear have 60% Lamina and you dont get the starring of lights that some of the cheap films get, its cheap enough to change each year so there are no scratches, as tinting isnt really legal I am pretty sure they only do clear screens, maybe they have a sunvisor band at the most.

Is it illegal? Wow that's why they all have it haha. I didn't know that. Some transporttrucks even have huge stickers on their windows with very small holes in them. But they are good drivers, they don't need a good sight with that huge thing in the city.

Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

Most glass has some tint from factory. On the screen put tint on the top of the front screen just above your line of site, NOT below that.

I had a new windscreen put in and they guy told us that the natural tint is 20%. So I think no tint is needed. I had 40% put on the front on mine - great for the daytime but not so good at night. I don't drive that car much now so not really a problem.

• Like 1

I had 40% before on the front and back. Good enough to see at night (not dark film, the light version) and 80% on the doors. I did not like that. I had to always roll the window down (see, I am a nice farang clap2.gif ).

In my new car, I will put 40% on front and back and 60% on the doors.

• Like 1

When this has been discussed on the forum previously, something to take in to account is the age of the driver. Over 40 years of age and many people will have problems at night or in rainy weather with anything over 40% while other younger posters will say they find an 80% tint simply wonderful. If you need to wind down your windows on a rainy night or in an underground car park then your tint is too dark. I have 25/40 on my car and if I was doing it again I would have 25 all round. A couple of my Thai neighbors have what seems to be 80+ where you cannot see inside their car and I know they are always lowering their windows on wet nights at intersections otherwise they can't see where they're going or what is coming towards them but they don't care so long as it looks good...

• Like 2

When this has been discussed on the forum previously, something to take in to account is the age of the driver. Over 40 years of age and many people will have problems at night or in rainy weather with anything over 40% while other younger posters will say they find an 80% tint simply wonderful. If you need to wind down your windows on a rainy night or in an underground car park then your tint is too dark. I have 25/40 on my car and if I was doing it again I would have 25 all round. A couple of my Thai neighbors have what seems to be 80+ where you cannot see inside their car and I know they are always lowering their windows on wet nights at intersections otherwise they can't see where they're going or what is coming towards them but they don't care so long as it looks good...

Rubbish, it's bad at any age..

• Like 1

I imagine it's worse for you wearing that helmet all the time ... :)

• Like 1

Some say it s to keep the Car Cool,then they buy a Heat Sucking Black Ride. Ive found the Air Con keeps it rather Cool.

Yeah a black car may get hotter quicker on the inside but after awhile the white car will catch up and they both will be the same temperature.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

I imagine it's worse for you wearing that helmet all the time ... smile.png

Well the visor is tinted already.. tongue.png

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, don't you understand that it is totally useless to talk about % without telling which brand ? They all are different and their details are BS.

Also, I think it is useless to post info without photo.

So I am still looking...

the % is the same no matter what name is printed on the box.

Whats the deal with digging up every tint thread ? . it is not really that hard to decide......for most.

Edited by Spoonman

The OP is about tinting the FRONT windscreen/shield, not tint in general.. So it maters not what brand, they all suck for that purpose..

"The blind will never see",

especially with tint on the front screen............laugh.png

• Like 1

Yes, younger drivers should drive faster too, as along with keen eyesight, they have reaction that are lighting fast!

*My dmax has 70 windshield 30 side, which is fine. No issue with the windshield, but at night or in a darker parking garage I sometimes have to roll the windows down to use the mirrors when backing up.

*The numbers in this case reflect the amount of light that get's through, not the amount stopped.

Edited by mogandave