Fire at a Tak refugee camp reportedly kills at least 21 last night

webfact

Fire at a Tak refugee camp reportedly kills at least 21 last night

BANGKOK: -- A fire broke out at Mae La camp for displaced Myanmar people in Tak province last nigh, killing at least 21 and injured many others.

Chiang Mai rescue center said there is still some people get trapped in the camp.

The centre reported about the fire in its Facebook at about 10pm last night.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-25

One cannot imagine what it is like to be a refugee, no one wants to know you no one cares about you , you are homeless with nothing, you will never know freedom, I always suffer when genuine refugees get a rough deal, so this fire last night at Tak refugee camp saddens me greatly, RIP.

What is so ironic is that so many of these same "refugees" often travel home for extended family visits after receiving asylum from Canada. Last I heard, somewhere around 80% within 3 years of being granted refugee asylum.

One cannot imagine what it is like to be a refugee, no one wants to know you no one cares about you , you are homeless with nothing, you will never know freedom, I always suffer when genuine refugees get a rough deal, so this fire last night at Tak refugee camp saddens me greatly, RIP.

What is so ironic is that so many of these same "refugees" often travel home for extended family visits after receiving asylum from Canada. Last I heard, somewhere around 80% within 3 years of being granted refugee asylum.

I guess Canada is the new 'land of oppurtinities' then, with a 'Canadian dream': arrive as a dead poor refugee and within 3 years make enough to make trips back for family visits.

That's insane, 21 deaths! I've driven past this refugee camp, located only a couple of km from the Burmese border and about 50km north of Mae Sot many times. It's so sad to hear that so many people died. Wasn't it just a few months ago that another refugee camp, that time in Mae Hong Son to the north I think, also experienced a similar fire? What's with all these fires burning in these refugee camps? Something doesn't sound right to me.