Letter from British Embassy certifying my new passport ?

Morning all,

Went to transfer my extension of stay from old to new passport, but was told I need a letter from the British Embassy certifying my new passport ? Well have had a look on their website and can't find where it says they do this.

Has anyone done this before ?

Thanks

They do them. There is a form letter you fill out and they stamp and sign it.

If not in Bangkok you should contact them about getting it done by mail. Many have done it this way. You will need to send a copy of both passport photo pages.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what a waste of time, why do they need such a letter?

Because they do !

If it's not a Thai passport, it might be fake!

• Like 2

Good to know that facility is available

As I must renew my 10 year Passport in May

next year I am currently researching how and where this is done,the only option now seems to be to renew in the UK,and I have printed off all the relevant forms,however As We are required

to keep our Passports with us at all times here in Thailand ,will the UK Passport office accept Signed Colour Photocopies instead of the Original

Also,am I able to travel overseas whilst the new passport is being processed?

next year I am currently researching how and where this is done,the only option now seems to be to renew in the UK,and I have printed off all the relevant forms,however As We are required

to keep our Passports with us at all times here in Thailand ,will the UK Passport office accept Signed Colour Photocopies instead of the Original

Every thing you need to know can be found here. Changes to British passport services in Thailand

You send color copies instead of the passport. You cannot travel after your application is received,

I had to travel to Bangkok last year to get the letter, Rayong immigration required it. The reason for the letter is, as explained to me by immigration, because the passport has been posted from the UK and it could be stolen and they ignored my protests to look at the pictures and you can see it's the same person. So in my opinion the passport may as well be posted to the embassy and picked up personally as you have to go and get the letter.

I travelled back to the UK last year on my old passport because my visa was in it without any problems after I had received my new passport, the clerk in the embassy was quite surprised about it and thought it shouldn't have been possible. I flew via Amsterdam so had my passport checked 3 times each way with no problems lol.

Edited by sandrabbit

Seems odd to trust a letter more than an actual passport. How do they know the passports of the 20 million tourists that arrive each year are genuine. Perhaps all tourists arriving in Thailand should be required to bring letters certifying that their passports are genuine. And why don't immigration want the same letter for all passports. The mind boggles.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did you read what was on the computer screen which clearly state copies of the passport pages are to be sent

I renewed my passport two months ago and Khon Kaen immigration moved all the stamps over to the new one without question, and without a letter from the British Embassy. As always, each office makes its own rules.

A friend of mine also done this at Jomtien no letter was needed

I renewed my passport two months ago and Khon Kaen immigration moved all the stamps over to the new one without question, and without a letter from the British Embassy. As always, each office makes its own rules.

A friend of mine also done this at Jomtien no letter was needed

Same in Korat, no letter needed, just take the old and new passports and fill in the form!

No. You cannot travel.

(except to Bangkok and back - twice)

• Like 1

Closest I've come is the visa in my old passport which, according to the UK consulate concerned, couldn't be transferred to, or utilised with, a new passport. It could, simply carrying the two passports until the visa expired. I should have thought the same applied to the extension of stay.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have seen no reports of Jomtien wanting one.

What about Phibun Joe.......?

I don't know. I had a letter from my embassy gave me with my passport when I had my stamps transferred and they kept it.

If in doubt it is best to get one is what I suggest. The UK embassy will do it by email and EMS the letter to you for free.

• Like 1

Jomtien Immigration did require the UK Embassy letter when I renewed my retirement extension 4 weeks ago, coincident with 'stamp transfer' from old (full) passport to the new passport. I asked the girls at Reception a few days before the event and they said yes so I popped up to Bangkok and got it.

The original was submitted with the extension renewal paperwork and not returned with the passport.

Edited by NanLaew

Jomtien Immigration did require the UK Embassy letter when I renewed my retirement extension 4 weeks ago, coincident with 'stamp transfer' from old (full) passport to the new passport. I asked the girls at Reception a few days before the event and they said yes so I popped up to Bangkok and got it.

The original was submitted with the extension renewal paperwork and not returned with the passport.

I can recall several reports by members stating they did not have a letter and got their stamps transferred.

That is a bit different than asking if one was needed. Perhaps you were told something different than reality.