Hidden in the civilized Chidlom: Glue-huffing teens

webfact

Hidden in the civilized Chidlom: Glue-huffing teens
By Coconuts Bangkok

g0.1.jpg?itok=LP2BR5Gb

BANGKOK: -- Behind the business district’s luxurious condos and shopping malls, a city’s invisible children squat.

Last night a Pantip user shared photos of local glue-huffing teens she snapped from her window she claims gather around a Chidlom bridge by Saensab Khlong. She said that despite complaining to the police every month for six months, law enforcement has done nothing, nor has anyone else come to intervene with the children.

“I usually walk my dog and work out every evening, and one day one of them came toward me and asked for my money, so I gave him a THB20 bill just to get away,” Nui recounted. That day she got back to her condo and took their photos.

She also claims the gang almost attacked her recently.

The second time Nui says she faced one of the adults who threatened to “take her” if she didn’t give him some money.

Nui says she doesn’t want to see them locked up but get some help. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/25/hidden-civilized-chidlom-glue-huffing-teens

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-03-25

what happened to the good old thai sticks, and sitting down listening to reggae? This is awful. Idiot kids get into chroming everywhere, but the threat of violence is a great concern. I understand inhalants are not addictive, but indicative of an attitude which either devil may care. I don't know much about this one though.

Sad, very sad.

It's not so much for the police do anything here.

It's up to social welfare agencies.

But is anybody interested in this country?

Don't know, and haven't seen any social activities.

so sniffing glue whether in public or private is not against the law ?? if this is so then by the content of your post about welfare systems being non existent you are condoning their behavior and their obvious disrespect for other people let alone the aspect of potential violence

• Like 1

The government needs to take responsibility for it's citizens and get these kids the help they so desperately need. Someone needs to bring this to the international eyes through media so as to bring shame on the government, then I bet they would act .

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what happened to the good old thai sticks, and sitting down listening to reggae? This is awful. Idiot kids get into chroming everywhere, but the threat of violence is a great concern. I understand inhalants are not addictive, but indicative of an attitude which either devil may care. I don't know much about this one though.

I am not sure about them not being addictive but glue sniffing certainly destroys what little brain cells these kids have.

• Like 1

The government needs to take responsibility for it's citizens and get these kids the help they so desperately need. Someone needs to bring this to the international eyes through media so as to bring shame on the government, then I bet they would act .

It's always "someone" else that needs to do things...

sad.png

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They are not addictive, no, but they are very unhealthy and lead to permanent brain damage

There must be millions on it here then !!!

government is more concern about road safety than his own teenagers .... of course the road safety was a joke but in fact one question only : what about the parents ???

...the parents give the kids the money to go buy the glue so that the kids aren't hanging around the house bothering them....for the parents....out of sight...out of mind. They don't give a 'ship

BUT

what gives? Every society has this in every country. Thailand is no different. It is tragic, but what are you going to do....write about it on some chat / website?

government is more concern about road safety than his own teenagers .... of course the road safety was a joke but in fact one question only : what about the parents ???

From my experience, many kids in this situation, are throw-a-ways. They have been abandoned by their parents, who may be addicted themselves or are in jail. They may come from abusive homes and have run away. The gang becomes their surrogate parent and they group together for protection and to share resources and addictions.

The police, at least from my back home experience, would make the initial contact. They then take the kids into protective custody and turn them over to social/child services. That piece of this unfortunate puzzle is underfunded, understaffed or just plain absent in the LOS.

Untreated, these kids are doomed to a life of misery, followed by a premature death.

• Like 1

Sad, very sad.

so sniffing glue whether in public or private is not against the law ?? if this is so then by the content of your post about welfare systems being non existent you are condoning their behavior and their obvious disrespect for other people let alone the aspect of potential violence

Rubbish. Complete cr$p. These kids are homeless. They use glue because it's the only escape they have. These are not 'normal' kids who are expected to show respect. These are kids who have been abused and thrown into the rubbish bins by Thai society and left to fend for themselves. Why should they show respect to the society that has rejected them outright?

• Like 1

From my experience, many kids in this situation, are throw-a-ways. They have been abandoned by their parents, who may be addicted themselves or are in jail. They may come from abusive homes and have run away. The gang becomes their surrogate parent and they group together for protection and to share resources and addictions.

The police, at least from my back home experience, would make the initial contact. They then take the kids into protective custody and turn them over to social/child services. That piece of this unfortunate puzzle is underfunded, understaffed or just plain absent in the LOS.

Untreated, these kids are doomed to a life of misery, followed by a premature death.

Any charity that is concerned as i'd be interested in helping?

Out of sight out of mind no one cares about anyone else in Thailand only themselves its the whole culture attitude and mind set in Thailand that is wrong, parents should teach their children to look after one another and help their friends in times of need not just think me me self-centred all the time .

Absolutely. To quote a Tuk-Tuk driver who had just thrown his styrofoam lunch container into a storm drain parked on Sukhumvit: "No problem! Nobody see!" (except a highly-ignorable, non-citizen Farang). That statement must apply to just about every activity in this country ranging from high-level corruption to thoughtless Tuk-Tuk drivers.

For those of you who would look to the government as a solution, good luck with that! It is impossible to govern a perversely immoral society.

Edited by MaxYakov

Sad, very sad.

So you went into a full lecturing mode....

When you are finished, could you go provide some help to these children.

And bring along some of these buddhists that offer food and reverence only to Buddha, to ensure luck for themselves only.

And if you are in a mode of lecturing me as well, try someone else, I really do my share....

Sad, very sad.

Rubbish. Complete cr$p. These kids are homeless. They use glue because it's the only escape they have. These are not 'normal' kids who are expected to show respect. These are kids who have been abused and thrown into the rubbish bins by Thai society and left to fend for themselves. Why should they show respect to the society that has rejected them outright?

i think you missed my point i was merely trying to disagree that this sniffing/snuffing was not a problem that the police (which ever department)

should be attempting to at least show some sort of concern similar to those that you pointed out

Probably parents are also addicted to glue or other drugs... or alcoholics like so many of them, unfortunately...

Government dont give a SHIT ! They are only counting their daily corrupted income

Hopefully it will not end up like in Rio where police hunt these kids and.... kill them coffee1.gif

Sad, very sad.

So you went into a full lecturing mode....

When you are finished, could you go provide some help to these children.

And bring along some of these buddhists that offer food and reverence only to Buddha, to ensure luck for themselves only.

And if you are in a mode of lecturing me as well, try someone else, I really do my share....

please don't bother with the resume

Any charity that is concerned as i'd be interested in helping?

Google, Father Ray.

Probably parents are also addicted to glue or other drugs... or alcoholics like so many of them, unfortunately...

Government dont give a SHIT ! They are only counting their daily corrupted income

Hopefully it will not end up like in Rio where police hunt these kids and.... kill them coffee1.gif

I would be fascinated to learn how you confidently assert that the parents are "probably" addicts... does this come from personal experience or is it based on data from some credible source? I'm not saying they couldn't be addicts, but to assert that they "probably" are is just stirring the pot when you "probably" have no freakin idea in terms of fact!

Well I have Seen Some body puffing the Whitrner Fluid Which we use to make Corrections which smells like alcohol let some body do some thing i Suggest Why Not the Thai Visa Start a Social Awareness Programe and some Thing like NGO its only an Opinion all members can also help in this and most probably like some Charity creating awareness .