Bangkok Faces Shortage Of Tap Water

george

Bangkok faces shortage of tap water

Sources muddied by landslides in lower North

post-128-1149370560.gif

BANGKOK: -- Residents of Bangkok and nearby provinces can expect shortages of tap water in the next week as water sources have been muddied by flood-triggered landslides in the lower North, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) warned yesterday. Weerachart Olarnpiriyakul, the MWA's deputy governor, said small particulate matter has surged to 2,000 nephelometric turbidity units (NTU).

An NTU is a measure of water turbidity taken by passing light through a sample and measuring the amount of the light that is deflected.

Mr Weerachart said such a high level of particles in water is unusual. Such level of turbidity has not been recorded in the city's water sources for 40 years, he said. He said the turbidity of water in the Chao Phraya river is ... [more]

--Bangkok Post 2006-06-04

more drinkable? think about all those extra fertilizers which washed over the farmlands into the river! It happens almost every year... after flooding a lot of fish die. Gives you an indication about the chemicals used by farmers.

As my house is adjacent to a farang plantation (this time farang stands for guave), I have to breath in every week some light-green chemical (can see this in his open boat) which is smelling very bad.

A dog died a couple months ago from people living next to the wall which separates the farmer from the mooban. The vet-lab told it was due to farmers chemical...

:o

tracker

Tracker,

Watch yourself for symptoms of pesticide poison. We Vietnam vets often suffer from long term exposure to herbicide/pesticide. If you notice that the skin on your hands and feet peels like a sunburn, get out of there!

sealip

And the underlying reason for all of this is rampant deforestation. Why aren't people outraged??

Why aren't people outraged because they don't understand that deforestation cause this when the last time you saw the newspapers explain it or the TV

Hmmm, getting a different picture of this up here in P'lok: all the locals I talk to seem to know that deforestation is the cause. However, their attitude is "I can't do anything about it...."

As long as this country remains in the hands of the feuds anf fiefs that couldn't give a flying toss about the people, don't expect the 'normal' people to change their attitude.

It's sad, but reality (and understandable)

Just my 0.02, Rob

This is total rollocks for us here, we have had a trickle of water for a week already and it is now expected to last another week, I initially thought it was something to do with corruption :o but now I've read this everything is clear (except the water) :D

Can anyone explain why they have to 'turn the water down'?? Do'nt they use resevoirs or am I having a silly moment??

If you refer to my recent postings on this topic @deforestation@Isaid it was an ideal time for the me.dia to imform the Thai people as to why this tradgedy happened.by media i mean by sound ,television, and all Thai newspapers.Reading postings on this topic 78% of Thai people said it was due to deforestation.they should demonstrate this in the next election.i repeat,this was brought about by the RICH & CORRUPT.They should be found out.Their assets siezed along with those of their immediate families and given to these poor unfortunate families,to enable them to start new lives. Albert

If you refer to my recent postings on this topic @deforestation@Isaid it was an ideal time for the me.dia to imform the Thai people as to why this tradgedy happened.by media i mean by sound ,television, and all Thai newspapers.Reading postings on this topic 78% of Thai people said it was due to deforestation.they should demonstrate this in the next election.i repeat,this was brought about by the RICH & CORRUPT.They should be found out.Their assets siezed along with those of their immediate families and given to these poor unfortunate families,to enable them to start new lives. Albert

I agree 100%.The Rich do what the want and everyone is looking the other way.

This is total rollocks for us here, we have had a trickle of water for a week already and it is now expected to last another week, I initially thought it was something to do with corruption :o but now I've read this everything is clear (except the water) :D

Can anyone explain why they have to 'turn the water down'?? Do'nt they use resevoirs or am I having a silly moment??

=============================================================

Inadvertantly; you have just hit the nail on the head, my friend: it IS corruption that is causing all this and "so-much-more" in this wonderful Kingdom.

What can one expect from "The Select Few" who are only interested in filling their pockets BIG TIME and to HE-LL with "the people' ? ? ? ? ? ?

RemembEr this: HOW CAN YOU TELL WHEN A POLITICIAN IS LYING ? ? ? ? ? ?

WHEN HIS LIPS ARE MOVING ![/color]

:D

Where is here?

The people do not understand deforestation? Where do you come from; Mars? or is it another "we city people" know better thing? People do not cut trees for a long long time already, the only people who

do are indeed people from the big cities who are wealtyhy enough to buy big plots of forest land, and who always seem to succeed to get an land document where the locals WHO DO NOT CUT THE TREES, do not get one. To be precise we are talking about Bangkokians, police and politicans related people, mostly associated to that other opposing party. Even the people in Burma know what is happening, but there they have really no choice. I would refer first to the destruction of water sources in bangkok and vicinity, the over consumption by the industry and so onm before I would dare to point my finger "TO THE PEOPLE THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND"....

It is not a matter of if but when disaster strikes Thailand. Whether it be environmental or economical matters little.

We have a rich country where 80% of its wealth is syphoned and plundered by the minority ruling elite. No project for development takes place unless certain selfish individuals personally profit.

I looked at Thailand on Google earth and it looked like a virus devouring a cell with large tracts of coast and mountain land being gouged for condos and shopping centres. Little if any thought is put into the environment and the profits of a few take precedence. The rush to steal land after the tsunami showed the character of these people.

The crash of '97 and tsunami have done little to emphasise the transient nature of life to the current generation. The cult of celebrity, mass media and obssession with wealth are given more importance than personal integrity, compassion and the respect for all life.

Unfortunately many suffer because of the greed of a few who perpetuate a totally corrupt system. The current leader has subverted the media to a state of impotence. All avenues for good government have been either removed or stacked with sychophants and paid lackeys.

The current regime has got away with so much without punishment or scrutiny they now feel invincible and just thumb their noses when their dirty deeds become public.

Water shortages are good, it may arouse and anger the masses into action to instigate much needed change. I feel nothing short of economic melt down can stop the current cancer inflicting Thai society.

In the past, the majority of the country were farmers an sellf sufficient in many ways. The current urban growth is a disaster waiting to happen with the shoddy efforts at building sustainable infrastructure. Due to corruption most government projects are white anted by bottom feeding takers who put their own self centred goals ahead of what is good for the country as a whole.

How long can this keep going before disaster strikes??

I looked at Thailand on Google earth and it looked like a virus devouring a cell with large tracts of coast and mountain land being gouged for condos and shopping centres. Little if any thought is put into the environment and the profits of a few take precedence. The rush to steal land after the tsunami showed the character of these people.

I wonder what it looks like now, because Google Earth is about 3 years out of date in Thailand!

An NTU is a measure of water turbidity taken by passing light through a sample and measuring the amount of the light that is deflected.

Mr Weerachart said such a high level of particles in water is unusual. Such level of turbidity has not been recorded in the city's water sources for 40 years, he said. He said the turbidity of water in the Chao Phraya river is ... [more]

Is there a TURDity level count? You know, when a broken water line runs for days and days and days, right near some sort of animal or human feces and transfers that TURDity to the city water supply!

The city is not too fast on repairing broken water lines. Maybe they use too much of that brittle plastic piping!

Well with all this rain, it should be expected.. forgive a native Floridian that has realized heavy rain, not to mention back to back to back hurricanes, but why doesn't thailand ask them how they do it?

post-128-1149370560.gif

BANGKOK: -- Residents of Bangkok and nearby provinces can expect shortages of tap water in the next week as water sources have been muddied by flood-triggered landslides in the lower North, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) warned yesterday. Weerachart Olarnpiriyakul, the MWA's deputy governor, said small particulate matter has surged to 2,000 nephelometric turbidity units (NTU).

I noticed recently, after last years many houses just flood. They local govement has built many drains. tbey are tying to put something in place. Problem 1 takes ages to build' Problem 2 they get blocked up so easy. No body to take care, so after few years flood again. Only the old people know this, like young people mye mee pnen yang. it will go away :o

more drinkable? think about all those extra fertilizers which washed over the farmlands into the river! It happens almost every year...

I think u meant to say - "think about all these boneheads who can't think what's fertilizer, what's beer chang." :D

Anyway, our taste is most likely the same. Just 20 mins ago at Don Muang (shouldn't it be closed yet??), I said to the IMM officer: "my visa is on the last page" and the officer said well, I need to find the visa! - "last page!" no, sir I have to find the visa..." A good IQ test I guess. :D

Like a dream VTBS would ever open... most likely they'll soon declare it as unprofitable as the train extension to BKK/VTBD. And u know the rest... :o .

Don't drink the stuff personally, and if I have the choice at the time I also boil any noodles I plan on eating or serving to anyone I care about with bottled H20, yet I'm just too lazy to shower with the stuff as it's just too hard to stand under a bottle with holes in it (expensive too). But I do brush my teeth with tap water here in BKK and my teeth seem to be holdin' up so far...

my god,

what you chaps are suggesting is sharing the wealth of the nation.......and we all know that communism is dead

the situation here is no more or less corrupt than in any other country.the difference being that here is is open, visible and blatant.

All this talk of deforestation and the well documented Thai lack of thought and corruption is all well and good, but how will this shortage affect those of us in Bangkok?

I presume drinking water will still be available from those water dispensers even if panic buying strips the shelves at Tescos. I presume most of us only use tap water for showering etc!

So is the tap water to be turned off and everyone in Bangkok start to smell?

I always try to conserve water, but I am a rare one, even in my own household. Everyone else thinks nothing of turning on the water--full force and letting it run.

Have experienced water shortages in Bangkok before when fire trucks came to help out. People filled up their buckets with water and brought their own soap and shampoo to take showers fully clothed being hosed down by the firemen. Could be worse

I always try to conserve water, but I am a rare one, even in my own household. Everyone else thinks nothing of turning on the water--full force and letting it run.

Yep Scott, you'd certainly be an exception.

I see water being wasted down here in Phuket too. Such things as washing dirt off of a driveway instead of sweeping it would be one example. Another would be watering golf courses... especially during the day. Now that's a waste of a lot water.

I honestly don't think that the locals will give a hoot until the flow of water suddenly stops. This is not a slam of the Thais, this happens everywhere.

post-128-1149370560.gif

... [more]

Now you can top dress your lawn as you water it. :D

Common in many places with poor quality water. :o