Violent attacks hit multiple sites in Bangkok

webfact

POLITICS
Violent attacks hit multiple sites in Bangkok

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Two M79 grenades exploded at the National Anti-Corruption Commission compound, and another on the Government Lottery Office next door, late on Monday night. They caused property damage but no casualties.

Of the two rounds targeting the NACC compound, one hit the deck above the ground floor and the other the roof of another building. The third grenade hit a building in the GLO compound and exploded.

An initial crime-scene investigation estimated the launch site was possibly 300 metres away, and located near Soi Nonthaburi 48 of Nonthaburi 1 Road, east of the NACC compound.

In another incident, two men on a motorcycle fired five shots at the Bangkok-based Davis Hotel owned by flamboyant politician Chuwit Kamolvisit on Tuesday morning. Chuwit said it was an actual shooting - not his own set-up. Surveillance camera footage showed two men riding past on a motorcycle and firing at the hotel, located in Sukhumvit Soi 24.

Meanwhile, police are obtaining an arrest warrant for a man identified as Sumeth Trakoolwunnoo, reportedly a senior guard working for the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee. Sumeth allegedly was implicated by a suspect known as the "popcorn gunman", who was recently arrested, police said.

They quoted Wiwat Yordprasit as alleging that Sumeth sheltered him and was involved in the shooting at Lak Si intersection in February.

Police spokesman Pol Maj Gen Piya Uthayo accused Sumeth of being one of 22 suspects under scrutiny by the police for involvement in the shooting. Sumeth is however not among the four PDRC guards wanted on arrest warrants already approved by the court.

Police yesterday arrested four pro-government red shirts, one a woman, for assaulting a monk - an incident widely distributed in images online. A large group of people is seen clearly attacking the monk, but police arrested only four people.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-26

i live under a rock and haven't been watching the news recently. is bangkok becoming rather dangerous for tourists at this point? we have our trip planned for 30th may, and will be staying at sukhumvit 20, which im guessing is close to the hotel which was shot at. As a first time traveller (of any country) im oviously uneducated in regards to what areas to avoid etc. Are their some places more dangerous than others? Any particular places best to avoid? Also after reading that dog meat article, im an extremely against eating "mans best friend". which places are known to use this type of meat as i would like to avoid them - do street venders use dog meat for their dishes?

/\ I have driven past and walked through quite a few protests (both Red and PDRC) over the past few years. As a foreigner I am usually ignored by the protesters and have taken many photos of both groups without any problems.

I did this in the daytime or early evening, I would not go near a protest site late at night, as that is when almost all of the violence occurs.

• Like 2

i live under a rock and haven't been watching the news recently. is bangkok becoming rather dangerous for tourists at this point? we have our trip planned for 30th may, and will be staying at sukhumvit 20, which im guessing is close to the hotel which was shot at. As a first time traveller (of any country) im oviously uneducated in regards to what areas to avoid etc. Are their some places more dangerous than others? Any particular places best to avoid? Also after reading that dog meat article, im an extremely against eating "mans best friend". which places are known to use this type of meat as i would like to avoid them - do street venders use dog meat for their dishes?

come on over it is ok, and as far as dog meat wouldn't know

All this violence is playing into Sutheps master plan perfectly. Its what he has wanted all along. Blood, violence, chaos.

Basically enough chaos and blood to give the military an excuse for a coup... and then he gets back in power. What a slimy individual. Police need to cut the head of the snake, there is already an arrest warrant out for this alledged murderer, they need to act on it

• Like 2

you gotta be crazy going there

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sukhumvit 20 is not as close to Sukhumvit 24 as you might imagine. The Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection was a Rally Stage previously, but there should be no immediate danger in that area nowadays. The area is "safe". The places to "avoid" are not a direct train or bus trip from your Hotel, and are clearly visible and audible long before you get close enough to be worried about association. No sweat, come and enjoy the good things that Bangkok can offer.....

Grenades thrown at the National Anti-Corruption Commission. Wow.

Can the message be any clearer?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have the red shirts posted the commission members home addresses and telephone numbers yet in their on going fight for Thaksin and justice? Red shirt style that is. the other 65,000,000 don't count.

Bangkok is large enough you can easily avoid the areas where the protesters are located (which is currently around Lumphini Park and possibly the Government Complex in Chaeng Wattana). Your hotel is far enough away from Sukhumvit 24. The hotel shooting was an isolated event in any case and probably a publicity stunt with no intent to cause harm to anyone. It has happened twice now, about 9 months apart. Probably just to keep his name in the news.

As for dog meat, only a few provinces far from Bangkok are known to regularly eat it, and I am guessing you will not be going there anyway so not to worry. Unlikely you would find it anywhere in Bangkok.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Like 2

Thankfully, the monk bashers have been caught.....

But the grenade throwers won't get caught....!

Strictly speaking they weren't caught. They surrendered (and blame the monk for causing the attack by telling them to stop beating up some other man). It wasn't their fault.

• Like 1

All this violence is playing into Sutheps master plan perfectly. Its what he has wanted all along. Blood, violence, chaos. Basically enough chaos and blood to give the military an excuse for a coup... and then he gets back in power. What a slimy individual. Police need to cut the head of the snake, there is already an arrest warrant out for this alledged murderer, they need to act on it

Red vespers number one, except it is chanted all day long.

I ate dog in Manila at one time. It was quite tasty but a dog bit me the next day. The Filipinos all said there was a connection but I couldn't see it myself:)

• Like 1

Think of Bangkok as one big Disneyland, but with both a red Mickey Mouse and a yellow Donald Duck and a heck of a lot of Goofys and packs of dwarves running around. Minnie Mouse is PM.

Dog meat not an issue, it's for export only. Try the rat meat.

Rat meat is only available in the deep south of Thailand and will be on a skewer. Not bad as they feed on leftover rice after harvest.

• Like 1

Think of Bangkok as one big Disneyland, but with both a red Mickey Mouse and a yellow Donald Duck and a heck of a lot of Goofys and packs of dwarves running around. Minnie Mouse is PM.

Dog meat not an issue, it's for export only. Try the rat meat.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Brilliant clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Grenades thrown at the National Anti-Corruption Commission. Wow.
Can the message be any clearer?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Until we know who the attackers are, I'd say No. PDRC might want to force the NACC to hurry its investigation and find against the Government by covertly attacking it in the guise of PTP supporters. And what is the message for the attack on GLO? PDRC claimed that the Government has corrupted the GLO to manipulate lottery numbers; so the PDRC might be the attackers.

When you are in Bangkok, buy a English language newspaper daily for information on protest parade routes. Avoid them and avoid Lumpini Park where the anti-government stage is set up. Nobody is selling dog masquerading as pork, chicken, or beef. Enjoy your holiday. Be polite and you will be treated politely.

p.s. Stay away from the sex shows at Patpong don't buy anything from anyone who approaches you. Be aware that tuktuks charge as much as an air-conditioned taxi. No tuktuk will really take you anywhere except a tailor or jewelry shop for less than Baht 50.

Do see the Grand Palace; the ticket there will also buy entrance to Vimanmek Mansion, get a massage at the massage school at Wat Po and see the largest reclining Buddha former king's residence and largest teak house in the world. Do take a River Express boat on the Chao Phraya River, shop for silk on Pahurat Road, herbs on Chakarawad Road. Golden Mount and Giant Swing are worth a visit as is Queen Sirikit Red Cross Snake Farm. Go shopping at MBK and across the street is Jim Thompson House. Check out Pantip Plaza electronics mall and next door Platinum fashion mall. If you have time, go to Asia's second largest wave pool in Min Buri at Si Am Water Park. Take a taxi to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market and on the same day go to the Rose Gardern on the way to Nakhon Pathom. Nakhon Pathom is the childhood home of Ho Chi Minh and has the largest Chedi in Thailand. Rose Garden has cultural shows representing all parts of Thailand. There is a tiger show next door. You can hire a taxi all day for less than 1,500 Baht plus gas. Samut Prakarn (south side of Bangkok) has Erawan Museum on Sukhumvit Road. A little further down Sukhumvit there's a great seafood restaurant on the end of a long pier into the Gulf of Thailand where you can see a good sunset. It is on Navy property but open to the public. Samut Prakarn has a theme park with 1,3 and 1/4 size replicas of all Thailand landmarks. Take the ferry across the river from the Grand Palace and visit the Temple of Dawn. Get a tailor made suit of dress. On weekends, Chatuchak Open Market is good if you can stand the heat and crowds and easy to get to at the north end of the BTS Sukhumvit Line. You Tube has video of all these things. Happy Trails.

Excellent response, that is a great tourist itinerary for every visitor . Thank you.

post-103087-0-67642600-1395808113_thumb.