Some 1000 dog carcasses found in Sakhon Nakhon

webfact

The wife is from Sakhon Nakhon. She tells that me in Sakhon Nakhon province there are Vietnamese immigrant communities (from the 70’s war). I’ve seen large catholic churches there which she tells me are for the Vietnamese immigrant communities. She also tells me that Thais are not the ones consuming dogs there but it is the Vietnamese immigrant communities. I have no idea if she is correct or not. Anybody agree or disagree with her theory?

I live in Esaan about half way between Kalasin and Mukdahan. There are quite a few roadside restrurants, if that's what you want to call them that serve dog. Not many young people around here eat dog but quite a few older people do. The most popular delicacy is rat. They claim rat meat is not dirty like the ones in Bangkok because these live in rice fields. I tried one bite and the taste was stronger than venison. The best part is when they lay the rat over the fire to BBQ it hair and all. It smells worse than my ex brother-in law.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if they hadnt been too lazy to dig a hole and dump the carcesses and cover it over nobody would have noticed

dumping 1000 dog remains in tropical climate like thailand is sure gonna stink for days and attract millions of flies

lazy stupid thais .....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

On meeting any Thai from Sakhon Nakhon I always ask 'kin mar bor?'

Our area is not a dog eating area, though our dogs are aggressive to some people and passive to others for no apparent reason. The wife reckons the dogs behavior is due to a persons past eating habits.

We used to have dog catchers that would trawl the villages for unwanted animals which were exchanged for a bucket. The dogs were massed into the cage on the back of a ute for transport to guess where - SAKHON NAKHON

Some say dog eat dog....you are what you eat. Maybe there is more to this

Wish there was a transmittable disease from eating dogs and cats. Then we could gather up the sick bastards and put THEM out of their misery!

There are transmittable diseases from eating dog meet.

Several recent outbreaks of cholera in Vietnam have been directly linked to the production and consumption of dog meat

Trichinella is a zoonotic parasite which causes trichinellosis in humans. In China, trichinellosis has become the most important food-borne parasitic zoonosis, and dog meat consumption has been correlated with eight outbreaks. Similarly in Thailand, the incidence of Trichinella larvae found in dog meat in the areas favouring consumption of the meat is considered to be an upcoming major public health problem.

Sometimes (I say sometimes) we learn something thanks to some TV members thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Thai police find hundreds of dog skins dumped in forest

BANGKOK, March 26, 2014 (AFP) - Hundreds of dog skins have been found dumped in an area of northeastern Thailand notorious for exporting canine parts as a delicacy or for use as a leather substitute -- including for golf gloves, police said Wednesday.

Acting on a tip-off, police made the gruesome discovery in bags left next to a large pile of dog bones in a forest on Tuesday in Sakon Nakhon, which borders Laos.

"The skins would be bleached -- some are then sent (by smugglers) to other countries to be made into gloves for playing golf," Lamai Sakolpitak, from a special police unit to suppress smuggling and the trade in animal parts, told AFP on telephone.

"Experts say that dog skins are also used for instruments such as drums," Lamai said, adding that it is illegal to kill canines to sell their parts in Thailand or abroad.

Lamai said the find was likely linked to a recent raid on two nearby makeshift factories where skins were stripped from dogs.

"Some people were afraid that we would find the skins at their houses... so they dumped them," he added.

Local campaign group, Watchdog Thailand, condemned the killing of dogs for sale, explaining that exporters pay around $10 for every live dog, including pets and strays from the surrounding areas.

They then butcher the animals, skin them and blow-torch the carcasses to preserve the meat for sale -- mainly to buyers in Vietnam and China where it is a delicacy.

"The skins are used for golfing gloves, hats, small purses and wallets," a staff member of Watchdog Thailand told AFP, requesting anonymity.

"Cow-leather-products are more expensive and therefore are not always used to make small products."

The group said the raid earlier this year also yielded scores of dog carcasses and skins.

In May last year around 2,000 dogs kept in cages -- and apparently destined for the dinner table -- were rescued in the province.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-03-26

It should not take the RTP long to find a dog killing/locker plant, capable of the volume mentioned (1000 dogs) that is close enough to the dump site that its a motor bike ride away. The again, if you can not catch potential wrong doers who show up at your investigation site, it might be time to chase a different type law breaker. Motorcycle theft gangs???

Two bikes, four bags. eight dogs? (pun not intended) 125 trips to the woodland dump. Somebody was asleep or not doing their job suspicious activities???????????

The stray dogs down along the river bank here dig up the nests of the bee eaters and kingfisher that nest in holes in the sand banks and destroy the nests of other ground nesting birds. These mongrels continue to breed and increase in number and will bark at and threaten anyone who goes near them. A real menace.

As for cats, wild or otherwise, they don't just kill to eat they kill, leave what they have killed and kill again, they can kill many small birds and animals in one night.

How many of you with a cat have had it bring home a bird or other animal to show off ? probably most.

Sorry mate, but is that a justification for the main subject? I hope not.. Sterilization & humane culling are the answers

• Like 2

Wish there was a transmittable disease from eating dogs and cats. Then we could gather up the sick bastards and put THEM out of their misery!

And Indians think you're a sick bastard for eating cows. If cultural differences are distasteful to you, maybe you'd be better off sticking with your home culture instead of imposing yours on others.

• Like 2

The body odour stay with the person who eats dog meat for several years, to test it get close to any dog and it will bark the person as it can smell.

this is not true ,theres no proof that anything stays detectable even by lab tests for "several years "

The body odour stay with the person who eats dog meat for several years, to test it get close to any dog and it will bark the person as it can smell.

Don't be so ridiculous. That would mean that I smell of chicken today, pig yesterday and tomorrow I will smell of tuna.

How ridiculous, never heard anything so stupid in all my life.

• Like 1

It's well known some people in Sakhon Nakhon eat dog. In other areas too.

My missus as a kid was fed dog. She was told it was pork. After eating her uncle told her it was dog.

She says for weeks after eating it she couldnt walk past a dog without it growling at her.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I tried BBQ dog when I was in Hanoi last year. It was the end of the lunar month so an auspicious day and there were dog restaurants everywhere.

The only after effect was when I went to take a piss my right leg automatically lifted up in the air.

LMFAO

Just a small fraction of the money that is annually squandered on propaganda / publicity here, would be enough to set up modern dog care centres and dog-rescue teams. An even smaller sum would go a long way in educating the next generation that dogs are our friends, and we do not need to harvest their meat or their skins for any reason.

People who love dogs need to make a public stand on this issue, to start the ball rolling and establish national dog protection laws.

I'm glad some of youTVers have great senses of humor, started my day off laughing and smiling. These dogs were not people's prize pets(I hope), so if you have eaten dog meat all your life it's no different for them as for you and I eating the meat of our choice. I have a dog a she is probably(next to the misses) my best friend.

Oh right. And men can lick their own balls after eating it too.

id rather sub contract that out even if i was flexible enough to do it myself .........

Just a small fraction of the money that is annually squandered on propaganda / publicity here, would be enough to set up modern dog care centres and dog-rescue teams. An even smaller sum would go a long way in educating the next generation that dogs are our friends, and we do not need to harvest their meat or their skins for any reason.

People who love dogs need to make a public stand on this issue, to start the ball rolling and establish national dog protection laws.

Dogs are not my friend they are a pest. Must have about 20 roaming our moo bahn, they shit everywhere, bark through the night, fight with each other and terrorise kids. We need dog eadication laws, they need putting down not protecting

• Like 2

Down the street they eat dog. Often here when a dog disappears, the locals think it went on the menu. When the man that lives there stops by all the local dogs go crazy. The locals say the dogs can smell it in his sweat.

It's well known some people in Sakhon Nakhon eat dog. In other areas too.

My missus as a kid was fed dog. She was told it was pork. After eating her uncle told her it was dog.

She says for weeks after eating it she couldnt walk past a dog without it growling at her.

• Like 1

Dogs are not my friend they are a pest. Must have about 20 roaming our moo bahn, they shit everywhere, bark through the night, fight with each other and terrorise kids. We need dog eadication laws, they need putting down not protecting

You can't/shouldn't blame the dog. It is the people who feed these strays that are the problem. The more food the dogs get the more they breed. If you do give food to a stray dog (but I'd rather you didn't) do the decent thing and clean up its poop. Failure to do so shows little regard for your human neighbors. Remember: your food=your dog=your poop.

Dogs are used basically as burglar alarms and home protection. In the sticks anyway.

Its true though that they are a pest. Sh*tting and barking all night. People walking to the village shop have to carry a stick or a catapult. See them scamper when you pull back even an unloaded catapult.

Pepole here tend to have 2 to 4 dogs. You get used to it after a while.

Please send the Sakhon Nakhon hit squad asap!

I was reliably informed that dog meat can contain nerve tissue that contains creuztfeld yacobs disease.

That's why in Korea , dogs are farmed and fed clean meat. Eating strays and lost dogs means that the meat is rife with dangerous nerve tissue. Not for me.

Dogs were originally bred from wolves by man as a protector of property, sheep, cattle, family etc. Not as a direct protein source.

How and when did the dog itself turn up on the menu? Was it crop failure, famine, war, Winter that prompted people to start eating their supposed "best friend", (same as horses), and it became a "tradition"?

Seems <deleted> up to me, but then again a lot of Asia seems that way. Makes me laugh when some Westerners here blame the dogs for barking, chasing their bicycles, and generally being a nuisance, totally omitting that it's the usual Thai apathy, neglect of care, training, responsibility, sterilization, etc. The mutts bother me sometimes as well. I wish i could poison the dumb owners and get away it

I was reliably informed that dog meat can contain nerve tissue that contains creuztfeld yacobs disease.

That's why in Korea , dogs are farmed and fed clean meat. Eating strays and lost dogs means that the meat is rife with dangerous nerve tissue. Not for me.

Dogs were originally bred from wolves by man as a protector of property, sheep, cattle, family etc. Not as a direct protein source.

How and when did the dog itself turn up on the menu? Was it crop failure, famine, war, Winter that prompted people to start eating their supposed "best friend", (same as horses), and it became a "tradition"?

Seems <deleted> up to me, but then again a lot of Asia seems that way. Makes me laugh when some Westerners here blame the dogs for barking, chasing their bicycles, and generally being a nuisance, totally omitting that it's the usual Thai apathy, neglect of care, training, responsibility, sterilization, etc. The mutts bother me sometimes as well. I wish i could poison the dumb owners and get away it

Do you think that rural thais who work in agriculture all day will decide to train and sterilize their dog?

Im sure they would rather eat rice.

Its not apathy its for economic reasons.

You wont get any many dogs in Thailand who could star in Lassie come home.

Its probably ecenomic reasons they are eating dog in the first place. Either that or its 'sep ee lee'.

You are a bit cruel....Why deny people to eat the meat they like to eat, In some peoples eyes a dog is just some 5 kilo of meat nothing else..

Why should you decide what people on another continent should or should not eat.... Just plain stupid,,

glegolo