Can AirAsia deny boarding in this case?

I have a flight next week from Phnom Penh to Bangkok where I will stay for 1 day and then take a flight to my home country the Netherlands. I wanted to check-in online when I got the message "unvalid passport expiry date". My passport expires in May this year but I thought that for Thailand this would not be a problem. I've done research about this subject, also on this forum some time ago, and got the confirmation that for people from the Netherlands it isn't necessary that their passports still have a minimum validity of 6 months. But when I called AirAsia in Bangkok, they told me that there was such a 6 month validity rule. Is this correct?

If not, how can I convince AirAsia that they are wrong?

How can I solve this problem?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can refuse to board anyone, for any reason. The question is, will they? What Air Asia Bangkok says and what their staff in Phnom Penh will do are not necessarily the same thing. I generally find them more flexible in PP than in Bkk.

That you have an onward ticket to the Netherlands should help. Suggest when you board, you show the onward ticket and tell them your destination is the Netherlands. If you are checking in luggage, make sure you have anything you need prior to arrival in the Netherlands with you in your carry on, in case they are able to check your luggage through (they probably will not be able to, but just in case).

No guarantee, but my guess is you'll be able to board.

• Like 2

You could print out the info you will get by entering the required info on this webpage that will give info from IATA database, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

Edit Or go to this Air Asia webpage and use the link for IATA website for the same info: http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/passport-and-visas.page

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You could print out the info you will get by entering the required info on this webpage that will give info from IATA database, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

This is the website I checked before and convinced me not to worry.

So, basically AirAsia is in the wrong according to the rules of Thai Immigration, or do I miss something?

You are missing nothing !

The Air Asia employee you encountered was not well informed -----it happens !

Print out the information "in case of need" and do not worry . It is unlikely a problem will be experienced at the airport

• Like 2

The online check in thing could just be a glitch in the system.

I suspect the phone call was somebody giving you info without checking.

You could ask them to check the link on their own website I posted in an edit while you were doing your post.

• Like 1

Im not sure if this applies to only the US or all visitors. I copied this source from US embassy website, you may want to check your country's embassy site:

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand. The passport must have at least six months validity remaining to be allowed entry. Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land. This time limit may subsequently be extended for an additional 7 days by paying a 1,900 baht fee to the Thai Immigration Bureau office. The headquarters of the Thai Immigration Bureau is located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration Bureau locations, please consult the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

• Like 1

Im not sure if this applies to only the US or all visitors. I copied this source from US embassy website, you may want to check your country's embassy site:

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand. The passport must have at least six months validity remaining to be allowed entry. Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land. This time limit may subsequently be extended for an additional 7 days by paying a 1,900 baht fee to the Thai Immigration Bureau office. The headquarters of the Thai Immigration Bureau is located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration Bureau locations, please consult the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

That info is out of date. From:http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)

Destination Thailand (TH)

vi_de.gif

Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Nationals of USA must hold passports valid for the period of

intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you have time, the Dutch embassy in PP could maybe extend the validity of your passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Very doubtful

Do you have any evidence for any country extending the validity of a passport ?

An authoritative link would help

• Like 1

"U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand. The passport must have at least six months validity remaining to be allowed entry. Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land."

Out of date on several accounts.

"Do you have any evidence for any country extending the validity of a passport ?"

Thailand use to do that.

Don't make sense.Don't want to let you leave Thailand cause your passport expires in A couple of months.Hopefully you'll be ok.Good Luck

Anyone can fly direct to their country of origin on an expired/ almost expired passport .

Holland does not extends passports.

Some Thai embassy webpages clearly mentions that the passport has to be valid for at least 6 months at arrival into the country.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/telaviv/th/services/685/17388-Visa-Information.html

But the website of MFA does not mention the 6 months period.

Looks like the information is not consistent and it would not surprise me that people have problems with checking-in with a passport validity less then 6 months.

Edited by merijn

The time Thailand requires remaining on your passport depends on your nationality. Nationals from countries that recieve a via exempt entry can use a passport that is valid for the intended duration of stay.

The Netherlands is one of the countries that doesn't allow their nationals entry on an expired passport, according to the IATA database.

Holland does not extends passports.

Some Thai embassy webpages clearly mentions that the passport has to be valid for at least 6 months at arrival into the country.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/telaviv/th/services/685/17388-Visa-Information.html

But the website of MFA does not mention the 6 months period.

Looks like the information is not consistent and it would not surprise me that people have problems with checking-in with a passport validity less then 6 months.

The information that the airline can get from IATA data base will be what they will use. They will certainly not go looking on some embassy website for info.

Since you you used the embassy in Israel as an example here is what the IATA states.

Passport required.

- Nationals of Israel must hold passports valid for the period

of intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

The time Thailand requires remaining on your passport depends on your nationality. Nationals from countries that recieve a via exempt entry can use a passport that is valid for the intended duration of stay.

The Netherlands is one of the countries that doesn't allow their nationals entry on an expired passport, according to the IATA database.

Thanks Ubonjoe.

This means that the website of the Thai embassy in Israel is not correct.

I believe the website of the MFA more then a local embassy website but it is not strange that people are confused.

Edited by merijn

Not all that get visa exemption are allowed entry with passport validity for length of stay.

National Viet Nam (VN) /Embarkation Viet Nam (VN)

vi_de.gif

Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months from date of arrival.

So, basically AirAsia is in the wrong according to the rules of Thai Immigration, or do I miss something?

The website above has the entry requirements for all nationalities going to all destinations and transit points enroute. Depending on the passport held and where you are going it can be very clear or quite complicated and you have to read and reread the paragraphs. It's legal stuff. It's in English and you may be non native English speaker trying to understand the "mumbo jumbo" like the air Asia staff.

The requirements say for a Dutch passport destination Thailand "passport must be valid for intended length of stay". So easy the passport is valid for the 1 day stay before leaving plus you have the onward ticket . The next bit says "normal passports , emergency passports....must be valid for at least 6 months...." Which seems to contradict the first information. It's not clear whether its just the emergency passport/ travel documents have to be valid for 6 months or whether this is a requirement for a normal passport as well?

KLM will know the exact answer, a decent Dutch travel agent will know , possibly there is a Dutch government website with travel advice for its citizens will have the the correct interpretation also. There should be a Thai government website with clear entry requirements also. If you don't meet the entry requirements you normally will denied boarding and its you own fault.

From an air Asia's perspective you give them usd100 for an ticket and if they take you somewhere with wrong documents they get fined usd xxxx. So they make a big loss and some check-in agent is looking for a new job! This is why they seem super cautious or fearful of letting you on the flight.

Not all that get visa exemption are allowed entry with passport validity for length of stay.

National Viet Nam (VN) /Embarkation Viet Nam (VN)

vi_de.gif

Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months from date of arrival.

The minimum 6 month passport validity is reciprocal for Vietnamese and Thai nationals entering each other's territory. I am not sure if it's an ASEAN wide thing or just a reciprocal rule, but Thais are also subject to a 6-month rule for entering Laos as are Vietnamese nationals. A Vietnamese friend of mine was refused exit from Vietnam for Laos at the land border at Lao Bao because his passport validity was only a bit over 5 months. A couple years earlier another Thai friend of mine was refused exit from Thailand at Nong Khai because her completely unused passport (I think she had never been overseas back then) only had about 4.5 months validity remaining, but luckily for her, a border pass allowing her to travel to Vientiane and surrounds (our only destination in Laos) was made and we were able to carry on with our trip, though with a long delay of more than an hour.

Laos requires all nationalities to have 6 months passport validity.

All of ASEAN requires 6 months with the exemption of Thailand for those from certain countries that can enter with one valid for the length of stay.

The website above has the entry requirements for all nationalities going to all destinations and transit points enroute. Depending on the passport held and where you are going it can be very clear or quite complicated and you have to read and reread the paragraphs. It's legal stuff. It's in English and you may be non native English speaker trying to understand the "mumbo jumbo" like the air Asia staff.

The requirements say for a Dutch passport destination Thailand "passport must be valid for intended length of stay". So easy the passport is valid for the 1 day stay before leaving plus you have the onward ticket . The next bit says "normal passports , emergency passports....must be valid for at least 6 months...." Which seems to contradict the first information. It's not clear whether its just the emergency passport/ travel documents have to be valid for 6 months or whether this is a requirement for a normal passport as well?

KLM will know the exact answer, a decent Dutch travel agent will know , possibly there is a Dutch government website with travel advice for its citizens will have the the correct interpretation also. There should be a Thai government website with clear entry requirements also. If you don't meet the entry requirements you normally will denied boarding and its you own fault.

From an air Asia's perspective you give them usd100 for an ticket and if they take you somewhere with wrong documents they get fined usd xxxx. So they make a big loss and some check-in agent is looking for a new job! This is why they seem super cautious or fearful of letting you on the flight.

Bod I just went on the royal thai consulate Amsterdam website and clicked on the visa info and its in Dutch but I think it says you need 6 month validity to get 30 day on arrival. You might need a new passport. If I were in your position however I may consider saying to air Asia that you have an onward flight and you will remain airside at BKK airport "in transit" and therefore won't be "entering Thailand". This will only work if you have no baggage! Or go to the thai consulate in Phnom Penh and ask for a transit visa this may have more relaxed requirements? Or see if Dutch consulate will extend you passport? Or get new passport from them?

Bod I just went on the royal thai consulate Amsterdam website and clicked on the visa info and its in Dutch but I think it says you need 6 month validity to get 30 day on arrival. You might need a new passport. If I were in your position however I may consider saying to air Asia that you have an onward flight and you will remain airside at BKK airport "in transit" and therefore won't be "entering Thailand". This will only work if you have no baggage! Or go to the thai consulate in Phnom Penh and ask for a transit visa this may have more relaxed requirements? Or see if Dutch consulate will extend you passport? Or get new passport from them?

You are wrong in your reading to the IATA data.

The embassy website is also wrong like many others that have outdated and very general information.

To get any visa from a Thai embassy or consulate you need 6 months passport validity..

• Like 1

You are wrong in your reading to the IATA data.
The embassy website is also wrong like many others that have outdated and very general information.
To get any visa from a Thai embassy or consulate you need 6 months passport validity..

To me the IATA info is not clear it says you need valid passport ie not expired. The next bit says 6 months validity but mentions emergency passports. Is the normal passport included in that?
Thai consulate Amsterdam say you need 6 month validity for 30 days on arrival.
I think the op needs a new passport fast in Phnom Penh, or an extension of validity of his pp, or reroute of his airfare so it takes home from another country that just needs a passport that is valid. He won't need to go to Thailand then.
He needs a new passport anyway when he gets back to holland so easiest get one in Phnom Penh now and fast if he can. Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quotes (space before and after [/quote] needed)

My investigations say you need 6 month validity , I think you are saying you need 6 month validity and the thai consulate says you need 6 month validity( although you say Amsterdam consulate is wrong?) . I think we all agree he needs 6 months validity if he wants to go home via BKK.

• Like 1