Cost of a simple Will in Thailand

Jip99

There is a brilliant section in the Thailand Law section called "Ask the Lawyer". A great place to get some reasonable advice.

Unfortunately, it is locked topics only so one cannot comment on the replies.

In response to the above question a indication of 10,000 Baht was given to produce such a Will.

That sounds exceedingly high.

A friend recently paid 3,000 Baht for a similar Will including a Thai translation.

• Like 1

Sooo...not sure what I'm missing ....but ask your friend his lawyer's name and pay the 3,000 baht for a simple will. That sounds like a GREAT deal.....unless of course you were thinking of only spending 1,000 baht which is about enough to get you in the front door.

My point was that "Ask the Lawyer" is a locked topic so you can make comments on the thread.

So .... we have a question "How much for a simple Will" and an answer of 10,000 Baht ......... with no opportunity to come back on the answer.

I am suggesting that the answer is VERY expensive and better value options exist.

Also, the OP refers to a girlfriend. Depending on individual circumstances it may be practical for them to marry e.g. if he is a UK citizen a wife would likely be eligible for bereavement payments.

If it is VERY simple he could consider relying on the Thai intestacy rules - if wife could present herself at the bank with the death certificate (With or without court order) and 'bingo' they pay her out.

My point is that none of these issues can be discussed/debated on a closed thread.

• Like 1

On Samui for sale you can download a last will in Thai and English for 25$

If it's a download i presume you can do it anywhere. Have you got the download site reference please.

http://www.samuiforsale.com/view_document/8-last-will-and-testament-for-thailand.html

You can download a free sample for preview as well.

10 Baht here:-

http://www.thaicontracts.com/view_document/5-last-will-and-testament-th-en.html

On Samui for sale you can download a last will in Thai and English for 25$

If it's a download i presume you can do it anywhere. Have you got the download site reference please.

http://www.samuiforsale.com/view_document/8-last-will-and-testament-for-thailand.html

You can download a free sample for preview as well.

10 Baht here:-

http://www.thaicontracts.com/view_document/5-last-will-and-testament-th-en.html

Now that is very interesting since those sites are related to each other. Notice that all the contracts are 10 Bht only. Will have to test one out .

Got the answer already.

Checkout confirmation

Note: no orders will be processed! PayPal is currently in the sand box mode for the purpose of testing and developing this website. Please check back again soon.

Edited by JesseFrank

Just write the Will in your own handwriting in English and sign and date it. No need for witnesses.

From what I have read this constitutes a legal Will in Thailand.

After you die it will be translated into Thai and presented in court.

I wouldn't rely on that.

At least have a read of the available downloads to understand the minimum format required by Thai law - which includes 2 witnesses.

A death certificate will have more practical use than your handwritten piece of paper.

The cost of the will can be nothing if u have very little, and one, or a few beneficiaries, and probably adequate. If you have word wide properties, many descendants etc. professional advice seems a good idea, with the costs being proportionately higher (Proportionally higher than nothing ?..like 0! and other mathematical curiosities,such as Homer Simpson's solution negating Fermat's Theorem).

At the bottom end, the costs of the will are nothing, to what you will be quoted for the subsequent execution of the will. The Lowest quote I had was Baht 45,000.

Edited by drx13

The cost of the will can be nothing if u have very little, and one, or a few beneficiaries, and probably adequate. If you have word wide properties, many descendants etc. professional advice seems a good idea, with the costs being proportionately higher (Proportionally higher than nothing ?..like 0! and other mathematical curiosities,such as Homer Simpson's solution negating Fermat's Theorem).

At the bottom end, the costs of the will are nothing, to what you will be quoted for the subsequent execution of the will. The Lowest quote I had was Baht 45,000.

Why would there necessary be an execution cost, as you can appoint anyone as executor ?