Sunset for Sunrise Tacos

BugJackBaron

I'm not surprised ... food sucked, the dozen or so sauces where stale ....

Thais let to run a biz ? This is where it ends up ...

Mai pen rai, mai me pen ha .... who cares about customer service ?! lol

luudee

The food was no better, no worse than other Mexican restaurants in town and the restaurant was farang owned and managed. The problem was a changing customer base (i.e., Russians).

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised ... food sucked, the dozen or so sauces where stale ....

Thais let to run a biz ? This is where it ends up ...

Mai pen rai, mai me pen ha .... who cares about customer service ?! lol

luudee

The food was no better, no worse than other Mexican restaurants in town and the restaurant was farang owned and managed. The problem was a changing customer base (i.e., Russians).

Leaving aside the subjective popint of taste, there must have been more to it than that. After all, Sam's which is in a far more hidden location

has survived the Russian invasion..

The simple fact is that he was charging Siam Paragon prices in a Cheap Charlie neighborhood. Could I ever get a dinner special there for less than 200 Bahtr?

The place was too expensive. I don't want to drop 300 baht on lunch.

We need a good taco stand that serves up a proper carnitas burrito at Donner Kabob prices.

300 Baht is expensive? I seem to be unable to get a lunch in Pattaya for that.

• Like 1

We need a good taco stand that serves up a proper carnitas burrito at Donner Kabob prices.

Then Kiss Restaurant is going to save you a fortune. Probably the most popular resto in Pattaya except for Took Lae Dee in Foodland.

Then Kiss Restaurant is going to save you a fortune. Probably the most popular resto in Pattaya except for Took Lae Dee in Foodland.

I have been to Kiss and thought the food was exactly what I expected for the price (and for a restaurant full of Russians).

I am far from rich but when in Pattaya I like to try some of the better restaurants and avoid food courts and malls. Like any hobby, I am willing to spend a little on my hobby: food and drink. Incidentally, the best restaurant during my last visit a week ago was Indian by Nature. Outstanding, and cheap for what you get.

Jingthing remember how we tried in vain to get NY DELI used for the art gallery/sandwich place? After all our helpful suggestions... they CLOSED.

Foodies have a right to speak up publicly and be heard.

Look at Tripadvisor for proof of many opinions.

I met Gil in there about six months ago. I'd had a problem with the buffett. The service guy said "only soft shell" tacos. It made no sense to me so I asked Gil about it. He was disturbed "I've lived here 30 years and am fluent in Thai" explaining that he had told them many times that of course hard shell was available. He asked me to come agin "don't give up on us". I did come again and had another incident. I asked for a bowl to mix some sauces. I was told "no bowls". Being a farang, I got up and pointed at a coffee mug and said that would be fine. The bartender said "you want coffee"? I said no, just the mug. He said it would smell bad if I put sauces in it, "use the little ones". I shook my head and said please give me a mug. He did with a disgusting look on his face. I've not been back, it was after all two strikes....

As for Soi 12 in Bangkok, they are always busy and I think Greg just invested some million baht in the beer garden complete with those misting fans, music, and cold beer. I'd be surprised if he did this knowing the block was coming down soon. He's a smart and clever guy with regards to investments in Bangkok and here. Been around for a while as well.

• Like 1

Drats ... you beat me to it. There goes my rep. I was planning to post about this just now. I had stopped going anyway long ago when the Thai manager impolitely told me I would be banned if I ever had another complaint about their food ... so I banned myself. So am I surprised by this news? Not at all. I saw it coming. Yes the food was meh and Russians were typically coming in, looking at the menu, and then walking out. What no Mexican borscht? The question now is can Pattaya support an actually good Mex resto as in Bangkok? Beats me. I want one but I wouldn't invest in it.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Given rhe way that you were bigging this place up when it first opened and were defending it against criticism of any kind with an almost religious fervour, I am most surprised that a mere threat of being banned was all it took for you to decide to boycott the place.

Drats ... you beat me to it. There goes my rep. I was planning to post about this just now. I had stopped going anyway long ago when the Thai manager impolitely told me I would be banned if I ever had another complaint about their food ... so I banned myself. So am I surprised by this news? Not at all. I saw it coming. Yes the food was meh and Russians were typically coming in, looking at the menu, and then walking out. What no Mexican borscht? The question now is can Pattaya support an actually good Mex resto as in Bangkok? Beats me. I want one but I wouldn't invest in it.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Given rhe way that you were bigging this place up when it first opened and were defending it against criticism of any kind with an almost religious fervour, I am most surprised that a mere threat of being banned was all it took for you to decide to boycott the place.

No, it was a lot more than that. No point in going into more detail than that at this point and also you clearly didn't read all of my posts on that place, I had lots of critical things to say and I did. Yes, it had some good points as well but it was never of course the holy grail of something actually decent to people who actually know what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. Also, who in their right mind (OK, not that I highly value being in the right mind, but you get the point) would remain loyal to any business where you're made clearly NOT welcome? I agree the foreigner owner is a good guy, maybe they aren't actually closing but it sure looks like they are ... but as many know if you're not ON TOP of the local people working at local business like ALL THE TIME, funny stuff happens.

Edited by Jingthing

I am most surprised that a mere threat of being banned was all it took for you to decide to boycott the place.

Luckily, that was after he got bored of it. tongue.png

That isn't exactly true either. It was good enough to remain being a loyal customer as to me there were no better local options. But it was not good enough that I missed it at all once I stopped going there (I didn't know that at the time, just turned out that way). Again for every customer that actually VOICES a problem to management, imagine how many who don't, and just don't go back and/or diss the place to their friends.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the food was okay but I agree with others that prices was probably the main factor if indeed they are closing as reported.

I think they should have had a good pattaya location if they really wanted to succeed as well.

I went a few times but stopped going because it was in Jomtien and was a bit expensive for what it was.

Went there today to find out it was closed. Prior to that I saw some hints on their facebook page, which was up this morning but now gone, that they were doing something at the new Colosseum shopping mall (or whatever that monstrosity at Thepprasit is). I liked the chips&salsa bar, otherwise ..meh. Went to Mike's instead, was the usual grub.

Mexican food is a very poor value in Thailand. It is one of the cheapest foods to prepare but yet the price is higher than anywhere else I have seen around the world. Chiang Mai however has a few places where prices are reasonable. In Texas you can get a much better lunch for around 5 US dollars. I think spending 300 + baht on lunch and a drink for mexican is crazy for Thailand where food and prices on all other meals are so much less. A full lunch meal at Fuji is 159 baht and up and is 100% more healthy.

• Like 1

How about the Mexican food at Moonshine Place, soi 4 Jomtien? Menu says "best Tex-Mex in Pattaya." ;) I once had the breakfast burrito and it wasn't too bad. Stop in while you're waiting for Immigration . . . .

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Mexican food is a very poor value in Thailand. It is one of the cheapest foods to prepare but yet the price is higher than anywhere else I have seen around the world. Chiang Mai however has a few places where prices are reasonable. In Texas you can get a much better lunch for around 5 US dollars. I think spending 300 + baht on lunch and a drink for mexican is crazy for Thailand where food and prices on all other meals are so much less. A full lunch meal at Fuji is 159 baht and up and is 100% more healthy.

Same same for the Indian restaurants. A few bite sized pieces of chicken in some gravy & a piece of bread for 300bt.

How do they get away with it?

The shwarma guys stay in business selling pretty much the same thing for 60baht.

• Like 1

Same same for the Indian restaurants. A few bite sized pieces of chicken in some gravy & a piece of bread for 300bt.

The shwarma guys stay in business selling pretty much the same thing for 60baht.

Agree, an Indian chicken curry is probably 3 times the price of a Thai chicken curry, where they are basically the same thing.

Agree, an Indian chicken curry is probably 3 times the price of a Thai chicken curry, where they are basically the same thing.

Seems to me the better business model if I were choosing which resto to open. Don't blame them for being smart.

I ate at the "Indian by Nature" last time I was in Pattaya and found it excellent value and great food.

I ate at the "Indian by Nature" last time I was in Pattaya and found it excellent value and great food.

How was the beef curry...I like mine very spicy.

Seems to me the better business model if I were choosing which resto to open. Don't blame them for being smart.
Yes, good business .... 50 to 80 baht for the food cost per dinner and charge 250 to 300 baht on meal. 8 to 10,000 baht a month for your cooks and servers. In America in most areas the labor is 5 times or more higher and the meal price is less ...Hahaha... You must really love your Mexican food to pay those crazy prices. I hope it is better than what you get in America.

Same for a margarita, the cost to make is really cheap and the price is 150 baht.... At a local mex place in America we always got a pitcher which filled about 6 or maybe 8 small glasses for 10 dollars. It would cost $30.00 or more at any of the places here.... And again the labor cost is not even near what you pay in the US.

Just saying .....

Edited by ttthailand
  • Like 2

How was the beef curry...I like mine very spicy.

I asked for spicy as I have been eating Indian food all my life, and it was spicy. I did not have the beef, not even sure they have beef on the menu, but the mutton.

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of the old Sunrise Tacos has re-branded the restaurant and it is now called Subs n Steaks. Just opened. Menu is standard fare; soups, salad, pasta, burgers, etc., but they offer sub sandwiches and steaks with both local beef and imported Canadian black Angus (and an angus burger too). Picture menus, no Russian. New color scheme on walls and seats but the layout is pretty much the same.

• Like 2

The owner of the old Sunrise Tacos has re-branded the restaurant and it is now called Subs n Steaks. Just opened. Menu is standard fare; soups, salad, pasta, burgers, etc., but they offer sub sandwiches and steaks with both local beef and imported Canadian black Angus (and an angus burger too). Picture menus, no Russian. New color scheme on walls and seats but the layout is pretty much the same.

That'll probably work here. Sounds easier to handle than Mexican food. Best of luck to the new venture! For those who want a "taste of Sunrise" that new Mexican place on Soi Buakhao can provide mas o menos.