Anand tops neutral PM poll

webfact

and what happen to General Prem Tinsulanonda, who was named as the second in the Bangkok Poll from 27.3 - so just 3 days ago?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714281-bkk-poll-people-back-the-idea-of-having-intermediate-pm

anand is 87 old sick goat, which can die any time, thus paving the way for the premiership of the Great Fascist Suthep.

as to "neutral" anand was behind 2006 military coup, which abolished a democratic constitution.

if I was asked, my vote goes for Mikki Mouse.

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a sad state of affairs, when Thailand has to consider an 81 year old politician as an option.

I see you know nothing about Thailand

this statment is so far away from Thai Culture there is no way you ever get more than 10 meters from a bar when you visit

The Thai culture same as most of Asia sees wisdom in the aged

Only age demands respect

and years of experience and learning help you understand

If you ever have to marry a Thai girl like I did

I called on the oldest man in the village

when the negotiations to place all bowed and waied as he entered the room

and not 1 Thai lady who had been giving advice of 3/4 --- 1 million Baht

said a word when he decided no money was due because I was a farlang and was paying all her education expenses and giving her a new future that would benifit the family and the village

You need to learn respect for a culture you show you know nothing about

So it's a good thing that the best person for Thailand is 81 years old? As for the old man of the town, I had to deal with him too.

He was a massive trt MP and his son was recently speaker of the house. He was probably the most corrupt man I have ever met.

Age should not command blind respect.

• Like 2

I think they should give Jeremy Clarkson a Work Permit, and he can be in the interim PM. laugh.png

Totally agree,but will he like a pink Bentley or gold coloured Porsche.I think because it is Thailand a bulletproof Trabant would be more suitable.

• Like 1

It's a sad state of affairs, when Thailand has to consider an 81 year old politician as an option.

this statment is so far away from Thai Culture there is no way you ever get more than 10 meters from a bar when you visit

Only age demands respect

said a word when he decided no money was due because I was a farlang and was paying all her education expenses and giving her a new future that would benifit the family and the village

So it's a good thing that the best person for Thailand is 81 years old? As for the old man of the town, I had to deal with him too.

He was a massive trt MP and his son was recently speaker of the house. He was probably the most corrupt man I have ever met.

Sounds like tezzainoz took a shine to the old guy because he saved him a heap of money ! clap2.gif

• Like 1

Only age demands respect

Sounds like tezzainoz took a shine to the old guy because he saved him a heap of money ! clap2.gif

Nothing comes for free.......

• Like 1

Only age demands respect

I think Terry is newly arrived on these shores TH, and seems to think he's an expert, while really he's only going on his experience of his wife.

I think they should give Jeremy Clarkson a Work Permit, and he can be in the interim PM. laugh.png

Totally agree,but will he like a pink Bentley or gold coloured Porsche.I think because it is Thailand a bulletproof Trabant would be more suitable.

I am unable to answer the question, until I consult with mrs Toad as I know nothing. :-)

Dusit Poll conducted the survey of opinions from a total of 1,118 people

I'm not commenting on the veracity of the poll, just a small thing I've noticed. It seems to me that the number of people is almost exactly the same in every poll and almost every time ends with an eight. Not a big deal really.

• Like 1

Only age demands respect

Maybe the old guy was getting paid in other ways

I'm not commenting on the veracity of the poll, just a small thing I've noticed. It seems to me that the number of people is almost exactly the same in every poll and almost every time ends with an eight. Not a big deal really.

Thanks for bringing that up, it's that Yingluck again, rigging the lottery numbers.

Thanks for bringing that up, it's that Yingluck again, rigging the lottery numbers.

These polls, whatever side you support are a joke.

• Like 1

Evidently you are a newbie in Thailand and don't know who Mr. Anand is. You need to do some research so you can post intelligently.

Yes. "beliefs" overriding facts again.

Anand disagreed with the military plans to increase the defense budget and denied the military's request for supplemental funding that would have totalled 53 billion baht. He also did not agree with the militaries draft constitutional. The draft committee was hand picked by, guess who? Yep, General Sunthorn Kongsompong who was the head of government in 91-92. So Anand who is purported to build up the military did a good job of disguising it.

​Here is the kicker though…thaksin was close friends with this general and fully supported the coup that he was involved in and of course when you're a friend of thaksin there is bound to be some corruption and money laundering involved which was highlighted after the generals death which kick started corruption cases against other generals.

So in summary - Anand did not support the military. He did not support a coup that thaksin did. He saw first hand the corruption that was permeating thaksin in his younger years and would go on to say "all politicians are corrupt".

Besides these facts this poster purports to have he cuts and pastes from http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/tag/judicial-coup/ So after reading it not only is it agenda driven rhetoric…It isn't even his agenda driven rhetoric. He probably doesn't even know who Anand is.

Why don't you credit wiki, I felt like I was reading it, but in your words. If you read a bit further on, or heavens forbid, elsewhere, you'll see that Anand certainly supported the 2006 coup.

He also supported the military after the Black May massacre in 1992 with regard to protecting army personnel from any sort of charges

The Ministry of Defence set up a third investigative committee on 9 June, chaired by Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defence Pichitr Kullavanijaya. Defence Minister General Banchob Bunnag reportedly said that he had established the committee to investigate the military leaders who may have been responsible for the violent suppression of demonstrators. The committee questioned senior military commanders Supreme Commander ACM Kaset and Army Commander-in-Chief Issarapong Noonpakdee in the course of its investigation. It submitted its findings to Prime Minister Anand on 27 July.

Although the findings of the Ministry of Defence committee have not yet been made public, the Prime Minister did comment on the report in an interview with the Far Eastern Economic Review on 3 August:

"The [Defence Ministry] report, which I have no reason to argue with, was quite clear cut on the following: first, that the commanders, or whoever was responsible for issuing orders, were acting in accordance with the procedures as they existed then under the old legal framework. Secondly, the procedures led to some rather unsatisfactory results and the conclusion was that there were errors of judgement on the part of the commanders. And third that because of the errors of judgement certain changes be made in regard to certain individuals quite soon which would demonstrate that those people would be made to accept responsibility."

When asked whether some of the officers should face trials, he said, "On what basis? I only go by the report that I received. The report did not say that they acted illegally, so on what basis could they be put on trial?"

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA39/010/1992/en/3261da36-ed90-11dd-95f6-0b268ecef84f/asa390101992en.html

I didn't mention anything about the 2006 coop? You did. My point was that beliefs overrode facts in the original members comments.

I didn't mention anything about Black Monday? You did. My point was that beliefs overrode facts in the original members comments.

I am sure if I read further on there would be some other interesting comments that don't paint him in a good light.

I was not arguing about Anand's history though or what he did or did not do. I was making a point that Fryslans' beliefs (or in this case - someone else's beliefs) override facts.

However with that said it is nice of you to state a fact and then provide a link. This was exactly my point when I commented above. Beliefs stated where facts suggested otherwise.

Edited by djjamie

Yes. "beliefs" overriding facts again.

Anand disagreed with the military plans to increase the defense budget and denied the military's request for supplemental funding that would have totalled 53 billion baht. He also did not agree with the militaries draft constitutional. The draft committee was hand picked by, guess who? Yep, General Sunthorn Kongsompong who was the head of government in 91-92. So Anand who is purported to build up the military did a good job of disguising it.

​Here is the kicker though…thaksin was close friends with this general and fully supported the coup that he was involved in and of course when you're a friend of thaksin there is bound to be some corruption and money laundering involved which was highlighted after the generals death which kick started corruption cases against other generals.

So in summary - Anand did not support the military. He did not support a coup that thaksin did. He saw first hand the corruption that was permeating thaksin in his younger years and would go on to say "all politicians are corrupt".

Besides these facts this poster purports to have he cuts and pastes from http://thaipolitical.../judicial-coup/ So after reading it not only is it agenda driven rhetoric…It isn't even his agenda driven rhetoric. He probably doesn't even know who Anand is.

"....................So after reading it not only is it agenda driven rhetoric…It isn't even his agenda driven rhetoric."........................... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Which explains his long winded posts ! He is merely a copy and paste artist ! And fabio defends him ! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

It is. It's an even sadder state of affairs when an election to select prime a minister is trashed by a minority, but opinion polls are seen as a valid pointer to appointing one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In this wonderful country that we live in...surely out there somewhere, there is a Young, Modern, 21st century thinking, man or woman...an up and coming potential leader... who aspires for Thailand to achieve its full potential in this world, who is sick of the current group of so called self serving greedy klepto politicians with no policies worth following and no interest in anything accept themselves.

Im sure the majority of supporters of Yellows Reds Pinks and Whites and whatever other colors are out there would turn to a person like that.The voting majority would follow a person like that. Surely "old thinking" is not the way forward.

Only age demands respect

tezzainoz, the age issue is a very real problem and the reason most countries have retirement for old people as the faculties and body degrade from age. It's foolish to ignore it. Anand Panyarachun is 81, There's also the issue of how in touch with the people a person is, all the world wide web as you know it came around in his declining years,

I also think they want him really as a figure head rather than a decision maker, hence an old person in declining years is easier to control. Which is not a good thing. I assume Suthep backers would be behind the figure head. At least they're stopped trying to propose General Prem Tinsulanonda (93 years old) and probably about as far from neutral as its possible to get.

And then there's the popularity, they limited the choices to 4, with 3 clearly unsuitable people, and even then he didn't get a majority backing him.

I have met this man several times and I fully agree that he is one that could pull the country together.

He is smart enough to know that he has no prospect of achieving anything wothwhile unless he has a political power base behind him. He will not have that if he is genuinely neutral. So, why would he, or any other "neutral" accept the poisoned challice?

Edited by rreddin
  • Like 1

It is. It's an even sadder state of affairs when an election to select prime a minister is trashed by a minority, but opinion polls are seen as a valid pointer to appointing one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bravo!

• Like 2

Toad, if they gave Clarkie a WP, he'd wind up on the same slippery slope as Yingluck, except he'd end up with his foot in his mouth whereas she's ended up with her foot in a boot. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Anand is a respected statesman though hardly neutral.But he is not in the running though given his prestige it's inevitable his name is mentioned.The guy being lined up is Palakorn for whom Suthep is now doing the spadework.Palakorn, an eminent figure, has had a long association with the old establishment.I have nothing personal against Palakorn (indeed I admire him) but a non elected PM in the current context would be a terrible disaster.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Anand.... don't think so... think probably a bit long in the tooth to put himself on the line...not going to be a cake walk in the least should Kuhn Suthep realize his pipe dream..we're talkin' a high stress lotta pressure.. they'd need a quarterback with ability to shape shift on a moments notice... Palakorn Suwanarat....most definitively not neutral..but easy to see why Suthep would front him... but we are all speculating here...some names have been outed...boldly I might add by Natthawut... but if indeed any of these or Palakorn actually emerge it will not be neutral... you can bet the farm on that...nor will it be easy... meanwhile we wait and see what next week brings eh...?

Toad, if they gave Clarkie a WP, he'd wind up on the same slippery slope as Yingluck, except he'd end up with his foot in his mouth whereas she's ended up with her foot in a boot. rolleyes.gif

Considering his imminent racist charges I think you're description of him being on a slippery slope is a little bit precarious!!!

• Like 1

Oooh yes!

1118 Hand choosen People questioned and not even then 50% want new elections now or a "handchoosen" Prime Minister out of 4 named by "Dusit" poll...

is not "Dusit" Hotels the Group where Mr. Suthep likes to stay..??

Add all the numbers together the candidates got means in Thailand there are 148.02 percent ...?? Usualy result should be 100% in total??

(AP 40.55%, PS 37%, AS 35.43%, PC 35.04%) No idea how Dusit calculates even take 1118 out of 65 Million = 0.0017x % I must say that is VERY REPRESENTATIVE!

• Like 1

"When they were given four names of neutral prime ministers to choose, 40.55% supported former premier Anand Panyarachun.

Following behind are Palakorn Suwanatat, a privy councillor, 37%; Asa Sarasin, former permanent secretary of the Foreign Affairs Ministry, 35.43%; and Army commander-in-chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, 35.04%."

so not only were the names pre-selected by a person with an agenda, but the "votes" added up to more than 140 per cent of those asked to choose.

Amazing Thailand - a poll organised by TAT executives, probably

• Like 1