Storage container back home. Shipping to thailand from oz

davidst01

I have a storage container in oz and paying $200 a month for the privilege- its a 4.5 x 3.0 but probably only two thirds full of my furniture / life possessions. Some antiques / quality furniture, some white goods, boxes of books etc, useful stuff for a house that I would like to have access to now.

This money is clearing burning a hole in my pocket at $2400 a year ($4800 thus far). I don't want to make the school boy error of paying it for 10 years and then giving it away for nothing. Currently the insured value is 25k.

The dilemma I face is..... do I fly home spend a month of my time and money to try to arrange a garage sale- possible get rid of 1/2 of it and then ship the other half over here OR give a shipping company a key and send it all over here. A garage sale will be more or less giving it away for nothing and its also a bit of a hassle for me as the storage container company said that I cant do one on site (nanny state at its best).

I read a comment on this forum a year ago from a guy from oz who shipped a container load of his stuff over here and it cost him $6k or something like that. Now I cant find that thread.

If you are from oz and recently shipped stuff to thailand can you share the information with me- which company you used etc. Did it arrive in one piece. Was anything stolen?

The last time I went home for a month I think it cost me around $10k (after flights, car hire, accommodation, food, etc- includes everything). Its duly noted I don’t particularly want to go back there to be honest…

I've read about farang who sell or give away absolutely everything back home and start again over here. I cant do that as 1/2 of the stuff in that container represents memories for me and I value some of it for sentimental reasons.

Any opinions are appreciated. Maybe you have been in my situation in the past. What did you do?

Many thanks

Big hassle either way, ongoing if you bring it all over, best off simplifying, shed all that STUFF just weighs you down.

Don't have a friend with a country block, buy a used shipping container?

Otherwise pay someone to cherry-pick the truly important items and ship just those.

All the "just stuff" they can keep or give to the vinnies.