Thai court to deliver verdict on Saudi businessman murder on Monday

Lite Beer

Thai court to deliver verdict on Saudi businessman murder on Monday

BANGKOK, 29 March 2014 (NNT) -- The Thai court will on Monday read its verdict on the murder of Saudi Arabian businessman who was killed more than 20 years ago. The case is part of Blue Diamond controversial dating back to the 1980's.

The ties between Thailand and Saudi Arabia have since been severely strained due to the stealing of the invaluable Blue Diamond and hundreds of other pieces of jewels by a Thai worker. Three Saudi diplomats were also killed and a businessman was abducted during the search for the jewel.

The businessman, Mohammad Al-Ruwaili, who has a close connections to the Faisal Royal Family, went missing. Later, several Thai police were accused of involvement in his abduction and murder.

The government of Saudi Arabia has since lowered diplomatic ties with Thailand and imposed travel bans and work quota restrictions in retaliation.

Surapong Tovichakchaikul, the caretaker Minister of Foreign Affairs, said the ruling was an important step to the reviving of the Thai-Saudi relationship.

Ealier, Abdulelah Alsheaiby, Charge d'Affaires of Saudi Arabia to Thailand met with Thai MOF officials to express concerns over the changing of the case's presiding judge only one week before the reading of the verdict.

On that day, the Saudi government will send senior officers to listen to the verdict; representatives of Al-Ruwaili's family will also attend the court session.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-30 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Will a verdict actually be returned or is it yet another delaying tactic ?

It seems strange that the judge was changed only a week before the verdict is due which creates the unusual situation of the new judge delivering a verdict, maybe, which he himself did not deliberate on and will simply be reading the finding, if there is one, of a colleague. Why is the original judge not available ?

I would not be surprised if an adjournment is announced in order the replacement judge can read up on the case, digest the verdict and understand why it was found to be whatever it is ?

If an adjournment is ordered I shudder to think how long it will be for.

Will a verdict actually be returned or is it yet another delaying tactic ?

It seems strange that the judge was changed only a week before the verdict is due which creates the unusual situation of the new judge delivering a verdict, maybe, which he himself did not deliberate on and will simply be reading the finding, if there is one, of a colleague. Why is the original judge not available ?

I would not be surprised if an adjournment is announced in order the replacement judge can read up on the case, digest the verdict and understand why it was found to be whatever it is ?

If an adjournment is ordered I shudder to think how long it will be for.

20 years??? giggle.gif

Penn State published an interesting writeup of this case vis a vis institutional corruption a couple of years ago. I don't know if it would be permissible to link to it, but it was the Penn State Journal of Law and International Affairs if any would like to google.

This will be covered up, far too many influential people are allegedly implicated in this. What a joke that even 20 years later, the whole case has never really been solved acceptably.

Sounds about par for the course in Thailand. Twenty years should have given enough time for any influential involvement to cover their tracks. It is truly a disgusting farce and shows both the judiciary and police as simply impotent lackeys.

Now we'll be able to see whether Thialand is capable of justice or not!

Many of us think not. The judges here appear to be softer than fine egyptian cotton. I am assuming the murderer will get less than 20 years. Hope I am wrong. Justice is sometimes a wonderful thing, and something we do not see much of here in the LOS.

Sounds about par for the course in Thailand. Twenty years should have given enough time for any influential involvement to cover their tracks. It is truly a disgusting farce and shows both the judiciary and police as simply impotent lackeys.

cover the traks yes but not the diamond

I don't even know why Saudi did not cut complete ties with Thailand for what had happened. It was quite obviously that the authority (police) were in all of it from the onset. This is another example of self-destruction for Thailand, when it comes to earning trust in business relationship with foreign entities. The Saudis are not the only business people who will boycott Thailand, but these killing and kidnapping incidents clearly show that Thailand has become a country that is unstable and not trust worthy, in terms of establishing any type of business relationship. In the end, Thailand and its crooked people will end up suffering, due to their criminal and greedy behaviors.

read its verdict on the murder of Saudi Arabian businessman

reading the news article I am would have had an idea they had charged someone for murder and were trying the case

nah biggrin.png some days I lose the plot. BTW lucky the statute of Limitations has run out on these crimes biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

This will be covered up, far too many influential people are allegedly implicated in this. What a joke that even 20 years later, the whole case has never really been solved acceptably.

They knew that answer 20 years ago, they probably know where the Diamond is today! but certain laws prevent mention of what may only be rumour but TiT!

This is shameful Thailand at its best to rip off others, lie, cheat and steal. The Saudis should just boycott every aspect of their relationship with Thailand. Pull all the Thai workers, don't take anymore network trafficked women for sex, buy their rice from Cambodia or South Vietnam, and post continual travel warnings to their embassy web site. If Thailand is allowed to get away with this hijacking of property, murder, and cover up it should become an international example of Thailand breaking laws with impunity.

The Saudi's also want all of their diamonds back, including the blue diamond. That, and justice over the murder of the Saudi diplomats, is the price they demanded for helping to resolve the problems in the former Sultanate of Patani. That, however, will not all happen on Monday. In fact, it is possible that none of it will happen tomorrow.

I expect that when all the people who were potentially linked to the missing items are dead, all of the missing pieces of jewellery will be "discovered" in a buried cache by specially chosen workmen. The Saudi's will be happy to get their gems back and Thai honour sufficiently restored.

There was a photo in one of the Thai dailies in 1992 I think, the wife of a prominent Thai policemen was photographed with the Diamond around her neck at a Hi So gathering at a Bangkok hotel. The jewelry has never been seen again.