Gay Marriage

sustento

So are the immigration rules now exactly the same? In other words, to localize, can a gay Brit come over to Thailand and import a Thai male spouse exactly the same as a Thai lady? If so, pressure ... pressure ...

Immigration rules have been the same since 2004 when civil partnerships became law. A civilly partnered couple have had all the same rights and obligations as a married couple in law since then. The only real difference with gay marriages is the word 'marriage'.

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_home/immigration_asylum_and_international/2666.asp

Edited by sustento
  • Like 2

So are the immigration rules now exactly the same? In other words, to localize, can a gay Brit come over to Thailand and import a Thai male spouse exactly the same as a Thai lady? If so, pressure ... pressure ...

Immigration rules have been the same since 2004 when civil partnerships became law. A civilly partnered couple have had all the same rights and obligations as a married couple in law since then. The only real difference with gay marriages is the word 'marriage'.

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_home/immigration_asylum_and_international/2666.asp

I actually suspected as much but wanted confirmation.

So the pressure has been on for quite some time.

Honey, I do love London in the springtime!

I assisted a former employee to get his partner admitted to the UK. The employee returned to the UK with a serious and potentially fatal disease. His partner of 7 years, a Filipino, was working in Thailand. He was allowed to go to the UK on Humanitarian grounds.

I don't know if they ever got a civil partnership, but I doubt they will ever marry. The Filipino is a Roman Catholic and marriage would be a big step. There would probably be less objection to a civil partnership.

At any rate, they are together and the worst of the former employees disease seems to be over.

I actually suspected as much but wanted confirmation.

So the pressure has been on for quite some time.

Honey, I do love London in the springtime!

Sorry Jing. I'm already spoken for biggrin.png

• Like 2

Im in favour of Gay Marriages, now you can suffer a Divorce like everyone else.biggrin.png Has there been one yet when a partner gets taken to the cleaners on some unfair claim and gets cleaned out.coffee1.gif

Doubtful in the U.K. as gay MARRIAGES there just started ...

In general yes the legal right to marry opens up the same cans of worms as any marriage. You are correct. Messy divorces, social pressure for couples to marry, etc.

Im in favour of Gay Marriages, now you can suffer a Divorce like everyone else.biggrin.png Has there been one yet when a partner gets taken to the cleaners on some unfair claim and gets cleaned out.coffee1.gif

We've had civil partnership divorces since 2004 but no famous ones yet tongue.png

We've had civil partnership divorces since 2004 but no famous ones yet tongue.png

Yes but no gay divorces from actual marriages. Yes, we know, we know, blah blah blah, legally the same, different word, but best get used to it, Britain is a MARRIAGE EQUALITY nation before and until now, it was not. Yes there is power and meaning in the word change, don't kid yourselves.

Yes but no gay divorces from actual marriages. Yes, we know, we know, blah blah blah, legally the same, different word, but best get used to it, Britain is a MARRIAGE EQUALITY nation before and until now, it was not. Yes there is power and meaning in the word change, don't kid yourselves.

Civil partnerships are still available to those who want them. Gay marriage is not the only option.

• Like 1

Civil partnerships are still available to those who want them. Gay marriage is not the only option.

It's quite funny actually. We originally got civil partnerships because the government of the day were a bit wary of pushing for gay marriages all at once so they invented civil partnerships to stop the religious getting uppity.

Now that we have gay marriage AND civil partnerships they're whining that we've got both and it's NOT FAIR!!!" lol

Som nam nah!

• Like 1

Doubtful in the U.K. as gay MARRIAGES there just started ...

In general yes the legal right to marry opens up the same cans of worms as any marriage. You are correct. Messy divorces, social pressure for couples to marry, etc.

I remember reading somewhere about the first gay people to get legally married in the U.S. It was some lesbian couple in Vermont or somewhere back East. Anyway, they had this important state court test case challenging the gay marriage ban in their state and they won. They had their celebrated wedding and then like one or two years later got divorced. Kinda funny and ironic.

Are you saying gays will face social pressure to get married? From whom...straights relatives and friends, other gays? I would only pressure such people to run like hell from marriage!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I do think the social pressure will increase from many aspects of society, including most problematically partners within relationships. I think that's a downside. I like the equality of CHOICES but there are always unintended consequences even with positive changes.