Retirement Visa

I go back to US, end of July my question is.

(1) When I transfer eight hundred thousand baht to my Thai bank, can I withdrawl all of that out

the first month ?

(2) I have read conflicting threads about taking money out of Thailand !

(3) Do you need a doctors report when filing for retirement visa ?

Thanks again ( it really sucks slowly losing your eye sight )

If I read what you are saying correctly you are going back to the US and filing for a retirement visa from there.

You will need to send to the Thai Embassy in the US proof of that amount of money in a US bank, a bank statement will be fine.

You will need a Thai health report which you can download from a US Thai Embassy site or get one from a local hospital here.

You don’t need the money in a Thai bank unless you are renewing your retirement visa.

After you have lived in Thailand a year you need to show $20,000 in a Thai bank. As far as I know it only needs to be there when you renew your visa which you have to do once a year.

Maybe I can help. If you intend to STAY in Thailand there would be no reason to take out the money you have transferred IN.....You will need money to live on and Immigration likes to see you withdrawing periodically to meet living expenses which tends to prove you are not working, which is a no-no. 800K baht sounds like a lot but it's about twenty thousand dollars, and some Thai banks are paying over 4% interest, if that bothers you.

If you have some pension or retirement money coming in every month you can multiply your total monthly income by twelve and subtract it from the 800K baht and thats's all that will be required to be transferred. Money transfers into Thailand are fairly simple, and are fairly inexpensive compared to the charges the banks are getting now for using their ATM cards. I pay CitiBank $30 per transfer, regardless of how large, or how small. Citibank, starting April 1st starting charging 1%

for using a ATM machine other than their own. Bank of America really sticks it to you, as do most of the other ones.....except for a few, and they won't be far behind I'm afraid. I have heard it's rather difficult to transfer money OUT. You can just let your pension or retirement funds stay in your U.S. bank, if they're direct deposited, retain your U.S. address, and transfer as needed.

As I stated in my earlier post, the medical certificate needed is simply a case of going to a clinic and paying 200 baht, (that's what I paid), and have the "technician" fill out a pre-printed form stating that you do not have the five "dreaded" diseases, you sign it.....he signs it, date stamps it and that's it. No examination, check-up, blood pressure.....no nuthing except he asked my lady, in Thai if I had any of the diseases, she told him no and that was it. C ost 200 baht. Hope this helps, and have a happy life in LOS.....You won't be sorry. Good Luck, ErnieK

I think the OP is asking if he can transfer the 800K in, get the visa, then transfer it out, possibly because of fears of holding money in a Thai bank and perhaps devaluation risks (understandable concerns).

Yes, if going for the O-A from the US, all you have to do is show the 800K in a US bank, but LATER for one year extensions, show the money in a Thai bank. (Assuming poster is not using pension income to qualify.)

So the interesting part of the OP question is if a person qualifies for a one year extension showing 800K in a Thai bank, and then pronto transfers it out, and then transfers it back in the next year at visa time, is this kosher? I haven't the foggiest, but maybe someone does. Seems to me it would look to immigration that he borrowed the money for a short time to get the visa.

Edited by Thaiquila

I think the OP is asking if he can transfer the 800K in, get the visa, then transfer it out, possibly because of fears of holding money in a Thai bank and perhaps devaluation risks (understandable concerns).

Yes, if going for the O-A from the US, all you have to do is show the 800K in a US bank, but LATER for one year extensions, show the money in a Thai bank. (Assuming poster is not using pension income to qualify.)

So the interesting part of the OP question is if a person qualifies for a one year extension showing 800K in a Thai bank, and then pronto transfers it out, and then transfers it back in the next year at visa time, is this kosher? I haven't the foggiest, but maybe someone does. Seems to me it would look to immigration that he borrowed the money for a short time to get the visa.

I think, and this is only my personal opinion, that you'll find that getting a "retirement visa" is a little more complicated than you think. To get a retirement visa requires you, in your home country, to get a physical.....at your expense, provide a guarantee from your bank that you have sufficient funds to qualify, and, the toughest of all, get a certificate from the law enforcement officials in your local community attesting to the fact that you have no criminal record, or are wanted by the law.

Then, when it comes time to renew, you have to have the money in a Thai bank anyway, and the letter, and you have to live on SOMETHING while you're here the first year, so why not just transfer the money NOW, and use that money for day to day expenses........and Thai immigration LIKES that because it usually means that you're not working.

On the other hand, I believe the simplist and most hassle-free way is to apply for a 90 day "NI-O"

(Non-Immigrant "O", {O meaning "other"}), visa from one of the Thai consulates, (I used Denver), and it was absolutely painless. I emailed them asking what I needed, to apply, and in three days I had an answer. (Passport, ONE passport photo, completed visa application, (downloaded on www.thaiembcdc.org), a money order for $50, (one entry), or $125. (multiple entry) and a self addressed stamped envelope.

I used the U.S postal service, a money order from the post office, and two 5 X 9 brown envelopes, one of which I had stamped with return postage, folded and put in with the other stuff. In eight days, including a week-end, I had my visa back with the 90 day visa stamp, and the notation that it had to be utilized within 90 days of issue. (It had to be USED within 90 days.....the actual visa doesn't start till you check in and get stamped at Thai immigration at the airport, or whatever).

Then, during the last 30 days of my visa I applied at Thai immigration, in Pattaya, for an extension for the remainder of the year, (from my entry date, [which, in this case was Feb. 15, '06]). So, on about the 20th or so of April, I went to the American Embassy, in BKK and asked for a letter verifying my pension income, filled out the form, presented it to the lady, sat down and waited, and in about fifteen minutes she called me to the window, had me attest to the fact that the figures I had written on the form were correct, signed the letter, date stamped it, had me sign it in her presence, and in less than an hour, (not counting travel time) I had my most important letter to Thai immigration showing that I had sufficient income to qualify for a visa.

Meanwhile, I had opened an account at Bangkok Bank, at the Carrfour branch on Central Road, in Pattaya, the first week I was here. I had brougnt about three thousand with me. Before I left home,

I went to my bank, CitiBank, and set up the mechanics for transferring funds, on line, from my account in California. (Very easy to do). When I opened the account at Bkk bank I asked the lady for info on transferring and she gave me a pre-printed form with all the information I needed to make the transfers. (About as simple as it gets). The next day I went to a "internet place", got on line, and make a 5 K transfer. The next day it was in my BKK account, in baht, at the current exchange rate. The charge by Citi was $30 for the transfer, regardless of the amount. As far as I can tell, BKK bank didn't charge me anything for the transfer. Some say they charge a small amount but if they did it never showed up anywhere. When I opened in CitiBank they told me then that I would not have to pay a fee for using ANY ATM machine.....anywhere. so for a long time I used the atm's exclusively, on my trips over here, never bringing much cash with me. NOW.....

since April 1st, Citi charges 1% plus an international conversion fee, to use an atm not their own.

I've read that almost ALL the banks started this, as a means of raising even MORE profit for the banking industry. I know B of A really sticks it to ya' if you use a foreign atm.......I no longer use Bank of America.

Okay.....After going to the American Embassy I went to a clinic, accross the street from Carrfour shopping center, on central road in Pattaya, and asked for a letter for immigration stating that I did not have any of the five or six dreaded diseases, (don't remember what they were, but one was advanced syphillis). He knew what I wanted, pulled out a form from under the counter, asked my lady a couple questions, in Thai, she nodded her head, and he filled out the paper, after examining my passport, signed it, stamped it, had me sign it, and that was it. No physical, no check-up, no nothing.......except the 200 baht. Oh, and I forgot to say, the American Embassy charges 1200 baht for the "pension" letter. Make a copy of the letters, you can use them next year. Immigration will accept a copy, but they want to see the original.

In the meantime I had bought a car so I had to transfer some more cash into my BKK bank account so I again went to a computer "Place", downstairs from Carrfour, and transferred $9950.00 to my acct. from Citi in Calif., and, again, it was in my BKK acct. the next day. I have read somewhere that any cash withdrawls, or transfers over ten thousand bucks automatically "red-flags" your acct. and signals the IRS to check it, so I hold my trnsfrs to under 10 K. Maybe I'm a little too cautious, I dunno, but I ain't taking no chances. I had pension income over and above the minimum requirement of 65 K a month, so I didn't have to have 800 K in my account. All immigration wants to see is the bank book, and a letter from bkk bank saying that you have an open account with them. So my next move was to go to the bank branch and request a letter for immigration. She knew what I wanted, and again took a pre-printed form from under the counter, took my passport and bank book, dissapeared into a back room, and five minutes or so later came out and presented me with the bank letter of guarantee, folded in an envelope, with the bank's letterhead........200 baht.

I made copies of everything, my passport, my bankbook, and all the "active" pages of the bankbook, and all the letters, etc.....Still got most of 'em.....I guess I'm a little paranoid.

Armed with all the paperwork, I was READY for immigration. Since I live in Pattaya, I visited the Pattaya immigration office on Soi 5, in Jomtien, a brand new installation, from the crowded office on soi 8 in Pattaya. It was a breeze, I filled out the application for an extension, went over to the cashier's desk, paid the 1900 baht, sat down and waited, and in about five minutes I was called. It was an absolutely painless experience, they were about as polite and cooperative as anyone could be, and anyone who "bad-mouths" Thai immigration has had a bad experience, because I have nothing but good to say about them. The whole thing took less than a nalf hour, and my lady and I walked out of there a very happy couple.

The last officer I talked to, a lady, cautioned me to be sure and report back in 90 days, and every 90 days thereafter, and not to be late, the fine is 500 baht a day. She even gave me a form to be filled out at home, with the date I have to report again. They just want to know where you live, and what you're doing, (not working), and if you've changed addresses, etc.....I think that's normal in any country, including ours.

You do what you want to do, but for me, what I had imagined would be a harrowing, nerve racking experience, turned out to be not so at all. Except for the running around here and there, and the trip to Bangkok to the embassy, it was a pleasant, educating experience.

If you choose to go the mail route, the address of the Denver Thai Consulate office is:

Royal Thai Consulate General

Consul assistant

1123 Auraria Parkway, Suite 2000

Denver, CO 80204

...........OR............

Royal Thai Consulate General

121 S. W. Salmon St. - Suite 1430

Portland OR 97204-2924

Ph. (503) 221=0440

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

U.S. Embassy Consular Service

95 Wireless Rd., Bangkok 10330

Near Phloenchit Skytrain Station, M-F: 7:30-11:00/1 - 2 pm

(Suggest you take public transportation, or taxi.......parking non-existent and crowded)

Good luck, and enjoy your life in LOS.....Ernie

I go back to US, end of July my question is.

(1) When I transfer eight hundred thousand baht to my Thai bank, can I withdrawl all of that out

the first month ?

(2) I have read conflicting threads about taking money out of Thailand !

(3) Do you need a doctors report when filing for retirement visa ?

There are basically two ways of staying in Thailand for retirement:

1. In your home country, apply at a Thai consulate for a non-immigrant visa category OA. This is a non-O visa pre-approved for retirement.

2. Obtain from any Thai consulate a non-immigrant visa category O, single or multiple entry. After entering Thailand, during the last 30 days of your permitted stay, apply at your local immigration office for an annual extension for the purpose of retirement.

Each method has its advantages and disadvantages and it depends what your preferences are.

With non-OA, you can delay the application for annual extension, and thus the requirement to show 800k in a local bank account, by almost two years. However, for the visa application, you need a police report and other things mentioned by Earnie.

With non O, no extra documents are needed for the visa application at the Thai consulate. In fact, seeing that you are already in Thailand at the moment and if you did not enter with a non-O visa, you should be able to apply at the local immigration office for a change of visa status to non-O, then apply for annual extension. In addition to proof of funds you need a medial certificate from a local doctor, costs between 100 and 300 Baht according to reports I have seen in this forum.

About taking money out of Thailand: there is a limit of how much cash you can take out; I don’t know haw much it is at the moment. Regarding bank transfers abroad, best ask your Thai bank about the procedure.

Prior to every subsequent application for annual extension you will have to bring your account balance again to over 800k, with money brought in from abroad. If after remitting in 800k for the first extension and them transferring all of it abroad again, then bringing in 800k again for the second extension immigration may wonder what funds you used to live in Thailand during that year (suspicion that you earned money in Thailand, without work permit, without paying taxes)

---------------

Maestro

ErnieK

I'm curious as to what you put down on the visa application for the reason for your visit. Other than retirement, it appears that you have to provide a letter in order to document the reason for your stay. Thanks.

I pplied for a NI-O visa, and, if I remember right, all I put on the application was "To plan for permanent retirement". The Denver consulate didn't question it. Maybe I was just lucky, Ernie.

I pplied for a NI-O visa, and, if I remember right, all I put on the application was "To plan for permanent retirement".
That’s exactly what to put as purpose of visit when you want the non-O, which is the easier way to go for retirement, in my opinion.

If you write simply β€œretirement”, chances are that the consulate processes your application for a non-OA.

---------------

Maestro

. 800K baht sounds like a lot but it's about twenty thousand dollars, and some Thai banks are paying over 4% interest, if that bothers you.

off topic i know but is that on a savings account of term deposit and if savings, where?

thx steve

Many of the consulates including Houston do not issue a "O" visa for retirement. Most now require you get a "O-A" which is expensive getting a medical report from a USA doctor , police report, showing funds in the bank.

Much easier just to arrive in Thailand with a 30 day transit stamp. As long as 21 days are remaining on the stamp, we can change it to a "O" visa inside Thailand if you have a notarized letter from the USA Embassy that you have a income of over 65,000 Baht per month ( You are on the honor system so no proof required), a medical certificate from the doctor or clinic. ( cost around 300 Baht, tell them its for the retirement visa) Your passport and two 4 X 6 cm. photographs. You apply that day. You get a 30 day extension and go back in 30 days for the year extension and you get a year. Thats it. The government will charge 2,000 Baht for the change of visa and 1,900 Baht for the extension. If you want a reentry permit, they charge 1,000 Baht for every single entry or 3,800 Baht for the multiple for the year( unlimited entries into Thailand) If you have no need to travel, you are not required to get a reentry permit. ( If you do travel, please be sure to get one before you leave or your extension of stay will be terminated)

www.lawyer.th.com

Many of the consulates including Houston do not issue a "O" visa for retirement. Most now require you get a "O-A" which is expensive getting a medical report from a USA doctor , police report, showing funds in the bank.

Much easier just to arrive in Thailand with a 30 day transit stamp. As long as 21 days are remaining on the stamp, we can change it to a "O" visa inside Thailand if you have a notarized letter from the USA Embassy that you have a income of over 65,000 Baht per month ( You are on the honor system so no proof required), a medical certificate from the doctor or clinic. ( cost around 300 Baht, tell them its for the retirement visa) Your passport and two 4 X 6 cm. photographs. You apply that day. You get a 30 day extension and go back in 30 days for the year extension and you get a year. Thats it. The government will charge 2,000 Baht for the change of visa and 1,900 Baht for the extension. If you want a reentry permit, they charge 1,000 Baht for every single entry or 3,800 Baht for the multiple for the year( unlimited entries into Thailand) If you have no need to travel, you are not required to get a reentry permit. ( If you do travel, please be sure to get one before you leave or your extension of stay will be terminated)

www.lawyer.th.com

Does he have to do 90 day visa runs, under this type of O?

We have O's wife and myself. Unlike most here my wife (Thai Born) is a US citizen - naturalized.

On one vist to immigration in BKK, they were very helpful and explained many things.

The most important to me was in law there is black and white. In Thailand in her case, although

she on paper is the same (US citizen) she could get a 1 year extension, on the spot.

Big time Gray area - TIT and I liked it actually. I of course could not. I don't want to do visa runs alone etc. So we went to Thai Consulate in Hawaii. Another O for both. We never wanted any governments seeing our incomes etc. But with a letter from Embassy -

Heres my question - Can I do likewise (show letter) and get around the 90 day trips to Cambodia?

Thanks in advance......

No. He or you can live in Thailand forever.

We have O's wife and myself. Unlike most here my wife (Thai Born) is a US citizen - naturalized.

On one vist to immigration in BKK, they were very helpful and explained many things.

The most important to me was in law there is black and white. In Thailand in her case, although

she on paper is the same (US citizen) she could get a 1 year extension, on the spot.

Big time Gray area - TIT and I liked it actually. I of course could not. I don't want to do visa runs alone etc. So we went to Thai Consulate in Hawaii. Another O for both. We never wanted any governments seeing our incomes etc. But with a letter from Embassy -

Heres my question - Can I do likewise (show letter) and get around the 90 day trips to Cambodia?

Thanks in advance......

Yes

www.lawyer.th.com

1. You don't provide your age. If over 50 then you could obtain an O-A visa or convert to extension of stay for retirement here in Thailand with income of 65k per month or bank deposit of 800k.

2. Your wife should have a Thai passport and not even need a visa if she uses that to enter the country. There are many here with duel citizen wife.

3. The other extension option would be support Thai wife and that only requires 400k but must be done together and there is closer checking. Not sure if they would honor that method with wife here on a visa stay however.

No. He or you can live in Thailand forever.

Thanks in advance......

Yes

Sunbelt is the Best!

Question 2 - I get the letter and all attachments etc. I have 9 months left on this visa.

Can I just do anytime before the next run? If so, I assume that I can do the 90 reporting right here on the island where we live. They have immigration and we are registered there.

Thanks Again in advance! SunBelt is the Best!!!!!!!!!!!

www.lawyer.th.com

1. You don't provide your age. If over 50 then you could obtain an O-A visa or convert to extension of stay for retirement here in Thailand with income of 65k per month or bank deposit of 800k.

2. Your wife should have a Thai passport and not even need a visa if she uses that to enter the country. There are many here with duel citizen wife.

3. The other extension option would be support Thai wife and that only requires 400k but must be done together and there is closer checking. Not sure if they would honor that method with wife here on a visa stay however.

Dear Lopburi, we are both going to be 49 later this year - same age.

Also, she has NO Thai Passport, No Thai ID Card. She is a US citizen - 100%

You bring up an interesting point(s) though.

SunBelt?

You will not be able to use the retirement option until age 50.

Why not an ID card, home register and passport? Believe she will need this if she ever wants to buy land here and most Thai do maintain dual nationality. Would she ever want to return to the US if anything were to happen to you? Life here is much easier with the national ID card rather than a foreign passport if you want to avoid over payment and everyday red tape. She will still be a full US citizen.

As for visa runs they might not be bad for a year or so at that age. A trip to Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Vientiane might be enjoyable. Even if she has an extension of stay she could obtain a multi re-entry permit and join you.

You will not be able to use the retirement option until age 50.

Why not an ID card, home register and passport? Believe she will need this if she ever wants to buy land here and most Thai do maintain dual nationality. Would she ever want to return to the US if anything were to happen to you? Life here is much easier with the national ID card rather than a foreign passport if you want to avoid over payment and everyday red tape. She will still be a full US citizen.

She has been a US citizen for over 20 years. My understanding is US does not allow dual.

The only thing she has is a copy of her Thai Birth certificate. I am down with what you are implying.

I didn't think we could go that route. Our biggest concern was the dreadful 90 trips. No fun there.

So if she could get a Thai ID and maintain her US citizenship - wonderful. I frankly don't know.

I am exploring my options, to make life easier.

Thanks for the advise so far, I'm sure I'll be asking more. Cheers!

we are both going to be 49 later this year - same age.

Also, she has NO Thai Passport, No Thai ID Card. She is a US citizen - 100%

Ooops. You have to be 50 years old to apply for the extension of stay based on retirement.

I would apply then on the basis of support of a Thai national, with a marriage certificate and the stamp in her USA passport showing she is Thai( writing below the one year stamp) you can try to apply with the letter from the Embassy. I would do the application in BKk. Apply when 30 days are remaining on the 90 stamp. I would reco you will need to have a lawyer as someone will need to convince them why your wife has no Thai ID card and why you should still be able to get the extension of support of a Thai national. Our professional fee will be 6,500 Baht if you wanted to hire one of our lawyers. No extension, no fee will be charged.

The other option is if you own a condo in your name, which was purchased new from a Thai developer or have 3 million Baht in a Thai State bank acct. You can get a extension of stay based on investment.

So if she could get a Thai ID and maintain her US citizenship - wonderful. I frankly don't know.

I just saw your other new post. She can have a Thai ID and USA passport. Its lots of red tape getting the Thai Id though.

Having the Thai birth certificate improves your odds of getting the extension of stay based on support of a Thai national.

www.lawyer.th.com

Hate to disagree, but the Herculean leap from a 30 day permit to a Non-Immigrant status won't happen.

Hi Doc,

They now are allowing a 30 day transit stamp to be converted to a non immigrant visa inside Thailand. As long as 21 days remain on the stamp. This of course, unfortunately does not apply to those nationalities that arrive with a 15 day stamp.

www.lawyer.th.com

My understanding is US does not allow dual.

They most surly do; as a good percentage of the posters here can attest. A quick Google search should settle your mind on that point.

First of all, Thanks to all. This is found for thought!

Second, the wife just told me that she told me she could get the Thai ID card before and I didn't want her to, as I thought (incorrectly) it would screw up her US stuff.

So, first is get the Thai ID card? No Thai passport required.

As far as "Red-Tape" her brother in law is a high ranking police officer i.e. attest to why no ID card so long etc. We have built a house here and the land is in our nephews name. That could change.

( I must note) We totally trust him like he was is one of our own...

But life would be so much more simple, if Thai ID Card etc.

Any more advise on this matter is greatly appreciated. Bring it on Please!

Hate to disagree, but the Herculean leap from a 30 day permit to a Non-Immigrant status won't happen.

Dear Dr, you are talking about the other case, right? If so, I agree to a point. Usually, it's best for him to get the O at a US Consulate 1st and come back, correct?

You might want to start a new thread on "how to obtain Thai ID card" and I am sure some who have done this will come to your aid.

And remember; the wife is always right. :D

Great idea! Thanks again, Lop! It should be very informative and from what we'll have to go through will be very educational for TV readers!

And you are right of course, :o

Best

Dear Dr, you are talking about the other case, right? If so, I agree to a point. Usually, it's best for him to get the O at a US Consulate 1st and come back, correct?

Times have changed. Used to be easy to get a "O" for a retirement visa in the USA. Now the Embassies/Consulates are told by Thailand, not to issue a "O" but a "O-A" This requires the medical certificate from a Dr in your home country( expensive), hassle of getting the police report, showing money in the acct, etc.

Now you just apply for the visa INSIDE Thailand from a transit stamp. Several months ago and it would of been a different story.

The goalpost change in Thailand and you just have to adapt. "As Thailand turns" The good news is it is much easier now than needing to do a visa run to Penang to apply for a β€œO” visa in order to extend the visa in Thailand.

www.lawyer.th.com