Taking Thai drivers test and getting drivers license ..

Lumbini

Went to the office near Bang Chak BTS few weeks ago and was given date of today to show up at 7:30 and take the written and driving test . After about an hour of feeling quite in the dark I found myself in a room with about 25 others taking the color test with reaction test and eye test . I got through all these tests and then it came to the depth perception test and did not understand exactly what to do and how controls worked. The Thai staff got irritated and another group was waiting outside to come in and they just told me to leave . Feeling quite let down I walked around to see if I could get help but no one really spoke English and my Thai is very little . The place was packed and after weeks of getting resident documents and and appointment for test and getting up early this morning to be there had hit a wall so to speak . I gave up and traveled back to my condo as no one would help ?

I not know anyone to take and help me who could translate and now guess I must go back and get another date to take but very confused on what to do different . Does anyone have any advice at this point or someone I could hire to help translate if I do go back . Was really looking forward to driving and renting cars in Thailand when I travel . I have lived here for years but never went through the trouble of getting license when my one from the states expired and I threw it out . The office out near Bang Chak BTS was a very gloomy scene this morning packed with Thais and hardly a smiling face and felt the longer I stayed there looking for help with no one to translate the more problems I may encounter later so just took all my paperwork with me and left . Any help or ideas would be appreciated . Not sure if I should try a different office as everything was started where I went this morning but sure don't look forward to returning to this location for third time . First visit was told I needed to wait and given the appointment for today and now not sure what to do or where to go .

What we think we become ...

I saw that when I came home , but thank you for your post . Really looking for the best options going further so I not run in to more hidden challenges like the one that was encountered this morning so when I go again my chances of success are better . It was a great opportunity to get practice in patience and I am grateful for it all .

Right ... It sounds like you need some help buddy. If I wasn't so damn busy, I would go with you and help you myself. I live very close to that office. It's late, and I need to get up early. If I remember, I will try to type up some help for you tomorrow. In the meantime, there are several threads with detailed descriptions about what you need to do. One of those threads is my own. I had to go through the entire process twice: once for my initial one year motorbike AND once for my initial one year car. That is the series of 4 tests. It is an all day event.

Even if you have someone with you, they can't go into that room where you go through the first series of tests with you (colors, depth perception, etc.). I did it by watching others go before me. If you fail, you get to try again. It should be self-explanatory.

After you get your one year license, you will be required to take this first set of tests again to renew it for the 5 year. So, you should go again and get it right. You can say the colors in English. They will understand. I did it in Thai, but I heard other foreigners doing it in English.

For the depth perception where you had problems, you can walk up to the woman and ask to inspect the devices inside. She will move them around to illustrate the initial and final position. Get it anywhere close, and they will pass you. Honestly, I can't believe you didn't pass. Like I said, you get to go again if you failed.

Usually, there will be one or two Thais in the room who can speak English. Speak up. Ask the room if anyone speaks English to help you. I am sure someone will try to help you in the best English they can muster!

• Like 1

I should add .... If you really don't know anyone and need some help (i.e.: a translator), shoot me a PM. If you don't mind hiring someone, I can send my wife to assist you. The rate is negotiable depending on what you need. She went with me for both of the initial one-year battery of tests for car and motorbike. She did not go with me for the extensions. She is now very familiar with the process; although, she doesn't drive herself! Just drop me a PM. I live 5 minutes away.

Are you going for just the car? Or, do you want car and motorbike?

Thanks so very much , going for just the car . I will PM you to see what would be fair to have wife help if possible . The place was packed and staff seemed rushed and irritated before I knew it new group was in there and when instructor saw me still sitting waiting to try again he told me to leave room . Thanks for your time writing such long reply

I can certainly understand your pain. I have been in that situation myself several times like I said before. I'm off to bed now. I will check my PMs in the morning and get back to you when I finish work. My wife says she is willing to help.

Lastly, before I sign out ... Don't stress out about it. Lots of people, especially foreigners, fail. Thais fail too for different reasons. Their English is horrible. It isn't you. It is them. Send me a PM and we will try to make life a little easier for you. We have to go there sometime soon too for another reason (annual car tax).

I am planning to get a driving license soon as well, including learning how to drive.

Since in Europe the system is completely different regarding getting a license I would like some clarification on the info I've gotten so far by searching on the net.

1. Anyone in Thailand can teach you how to drive,

Parents, relatives, friends etc.

2. Getting a Thai driving license requires you to take 2 exams.

2a. the 1st examination is the perception test, colour test AND basic road rules test, all which can be done in english, only in Bangkok

2b. The 2nd test requires you to drive around, forward, backwards, turning, parking.

Is this information correct? And what is missing?

Further, what are the costs of getting a driving license? Just saw somewhere that you can get lessons, 20 hours for 5000b

Would be very happy if anyone could help me with this since most of the thai people i ask dont know..!

Got my licences there for car and bike in one day some years ago costed me total about 600 bht i thought. the distance eye check is difficult to do wrong at all though, there are 10's of people doing it before you that you have to look at before you get your shot, its no rocket science....

when you walk in straight on your left hand side there are always the same two people a guy and a girl, the guy speaks fairly good english and is always willing to help.

good luck

As far as I know, you must return to the same office where you started the process.

Very kind offer. Just backing up what you said, I got my 1 Year MDL in CNX many years ago. Had the tests you mentioned including a "reflex" test with a mock-up accelerator and brake attached to a piece of wood on the floor. A Green light flashes and away you go. When the Red Light comes on, you hit the brake. I failed the first test so they brought in a Thai guy (my wife wasn't allowed in the room with me) the guy only just started to accelerate and hit the brake almost straight away, a fraction before the Red light. I did the same and PASSED.

We went abroad for a few years and when we came back, I just had to do the Colour Blindness Test and collected my 5 Year MDL.

Try a different office, or take up the above offer.

Best of luck!!