Reviews on Tripadvisor!

baneko

Anyone with less than 40 reviews or under 28 cant be trusted to give a good review. Many can be posted by staff and friends. Many don't really complain about the hotel or restaraunt but about the town they are in. If they dont like it.

'Best thai food ever' post 4 ever is always a good one. Go to the market. Restaraunts in tourist hot spots cook for farangs. My missus always says 'mai aroy'.

'The best burger in the world' when youve not been round the world and only eaten BK or MaC D.

'Try the som tum' when a real one would burn the face off them.

I think Tripadvisor is good for reviewing hotels. For food no way.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by baneko
  • Like 2

Your post makes no sense.

TripAdvisor is a used for many things - reviewing hotels, restaurants, attractions etc - they also have a very good forum.

When people review hotels they review everything from quality of sleep to the food they have eaten. This is what gives people information on the hotel and helps others decide whether they will book there or not. Reviews are subjective and what one person likes someone else will hate. There is nothing you can do about that.

As a hotelier i think TripAdvisor is a great tool for both the hotelier and the potential guest. Yes it is open to abuse by some hotels etc but for the most part it is very informative and whether you like it or not people choose hotels and restaurants based on their TripAdvisor ranking.

• Like 1

I don't know how this would work on sites like TripAdvisor but this was a case from NY Times settled in 2011:

When irate and frightened customers took to the Internet to describe their ordeal — as dozens did over the years, on sites like getsatisfaction_com — it would elevate his site’s position in Google searches.
A few days after the article was published, Google announced that it had convened a team to look at this issue and had already changed its search algorithm so that no company could use negative feedback to positive effect.

I agree totally with the OP. For restaurant information, it is extremely unreliable.

Yes I realize many people do use the site for this information.

But here's test for residents in Pattaya who actually know the local food scene.

Look at the Tripadvisor top 10. If you think their top 10 makes sense, I'll beat my hat!

Poor tourists, how would they know better?

That's why if there are other sources available for places you are visiting, best to have a look.

You have a point but I would say CAN be unreliable when it comes to restaurant reviews. What you say about Pattaya is also true of Kamala, Phuket. But the main reason for skewed results and rankings is insufficient numbers of reviews.

I also take a large pinch of salt with many of the reviews and you have to learn to read between the lines.

In the UK I would say it is far more reliable for food owing to a large number of reviews for most restaurants.

But in the main I still find it a useful tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

... and the relevance of your post for this forum is??? coffee1.gif

Because its a GENERAL forum.

TV is starting to get boring. I notice none of the negative posters ever open a thread. Only wating to post negativity.

The hotel reviewer on Tripadvisor with a few reviews under their belt can be beleived.

Again many restaraunt reviews cant. A 25 baht som tum in my village or local talat is guaranteed to be more authentic than any served to tourists in a restaraunt serving tourists for 100 baht. Thats from the missus. All food in tourist spots (samui/patong) wherever is to the taste of tourists.

I would only beleive reviews of thai good from Thais.

What I'm saying is I dont beleive most reviews on Tripadvisor....

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app