Japan to abandon whaling in 2014

webfact

Japan to abandon whaling in 2014

Tokyo - Japan will not conduct whaling operations in the Antarctic Ocean this year in the wake of a UN court ruling, the government said Wednesday.

Japan decided not to send a whaling fleet to the Southern Ocean later this year after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague said Monday that Japan must end its "research whaling" programme.

Australia had brought the case to the ICJ in 2010, alleging that Japan was breaching international law by killing hundreds of whales every year for commercial purposes.

"It is extremely regrettable and disappointing but we will abide by the ruling," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Wednesday in a meeting with Koji Tsuruoka, who represented the government in the case, the Kyodo News agency reported.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-02

• Like 2

It is not about what they say on that website which is rubbish.bah.gif

It's all about what United Nations judges have ordered. And Japan has agreed they will comply with the order, so it is good news!clap2.gif

United Nations judges have ordered Japan to end whale hunts in the Antarctic after dismissing Japanese arguments that the hunting was carried out for scientific research purposes.

The International Court of Justice's ruling is binding on Japan and cannot be appealed following a case bought by Australia in 2010.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/10734305/UN-orders-Japan-to-halt-whaling-in-the-Antarctic.html

• Like 1

With 10 years of whaling against the World opinion and after killing 3,600 of these magnificent mammals who are believed to be smarter than humans "for scientific research"

I wonder why the Japanese are not farming their beloved delicacy?

There would be no International outcry. The worst thing might be that people didn't like their breath...

Edited by ABCer

Yea Sea Shepherd !!!! The story was in the Sydney Morning Herald......

http://media.smh.com.au/news/environment-news/whaling-action-was-risky-business-5313020.html

Odd that this great news would be called a hoax. Some kind of online counterattack by Japan ?

And Greenpeace said it was all their doing without a mention of Sea Shepeard & Capt Paul Watson.

Quote from Paul Watson

Greenpeace Seems to have Absolutely no Shame

Wow! Greenpeace just gave me the most amazing news - they shut down the whalers in the Southern Ocean.

They even addressed the news to me personally. I feel so honoured that they would take the time to personally notify me.

They notified me that Greenpeace just shut down the Japanese whale hunt in the Southern Ocean. A victory for Greenpeace they say. I am a little surprised. It had not occurred to me before receiving this illuminating message from Phil.

We have not seen them down in Southern Ocean waters since 2008. Now I would not mind if they had mentioned that Sea Shepherd had carried the ball to the finish line but according to Phil, Greenpeace did this all by their little old selves.

The problem is that the ICJ verdict has not ended whaling and we still must prepare to take our ships down to the Southern Ocean in December.

2014 will not be the first year that no whales were hunted. Greenpeace forgets that Sea Shepherd has been chasing whaling ships down there for the last four months. And Phil may be a little premature on 2015.

Phil wants you to send Greenpeace money because according the Phil, this victory in the courts was all Greenpeace's doing. No credit given to Australia or New Zealand and not a mention of Sea Shepherd's campaigns between 2002 and 2014.

According to Greenpeace, Sea Shepherd simply does not exist.

Well if the whalers do ignore the verdict and return to the Southern Ocean, it will not be Greenpeace that will be there to greet them. It will be the brave international volunteers of Sea Shepherd.

Phil this was a great victory for the whales and it is really sad that you have chosen to exploit this victory for this opportunistic pathetic plea for funds.

Perhaps Phil you can enlighten us as to what you want these donations for? You have not done anything in Antarctic waters since 2008.

Will you be there in December if the Japanese return? Most likely not.

You say you want to keep the momentum going but your momentum stopped dead in the water six years ago when you abandoned the whales of the Southern Ocean to the Japanese harpoons. Just what whales are you protecting? You are not in the Faeroes, you are not in Taiji, you are not in Iceland, you are not in Norway. Where are you Phil?

What do you mean by fully committed? Are you talking about handing out brochures, petitions etc. What is your definition of "fully committed" mean Phil?

You did not give Sea Shepherd anything but condemnation for our efforts.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

Captain Paul Watson

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Letter From Phil Kline (Who has never been to the Southern Ocean)

Paul –

ump for joy — no whaling in the Southern Ocean this year!

I have amazing news that I've waited my whole life to be able to share with you. Japan has officially cancelled all plans to hunt whales in the Southern Ocean in 2014.

This will be the first year since 1904 that no whales will be hunted in Antarctic waters.

This is huge. Today marks a phenomenal victory for whales — and for Greenpeace supporters like you who have joined together to call for an end to commercial whaling. I can only imagine that if we could communicate this news to whales — they’d also be jumping for joy.

Since 1989, Greenpeace has sent nine anti-whaling expeditions to the Antarctic. More recently, supporters like you have fought tirelessly to end the subsidies that keep commercial whaling alive and stop the unjust and unprofitable market for whale meat.

This day wouldn't have been possible without your support. Thank you!

I hope you will take the time to celebrate this great news for whales with me today. This is proof that, together, we can make real change to protect the world’s whales and the oceans that they live in.

For the whales,

Phil Kline

Senior Oceans Campaigner

P.S. Today is a huge victory for whales, but we know we still have a long road ahead. Greenpeace is fully committed to ending ALL commercial whaling — but we need your help. Please keep this momentum going with your donation today. Your support will help us in the fights ahead in 2014 — protecting endangered whales, our oceans, and our planet.

• Like 1

I am glad Japan is out of the Southern Whale Sanctuary.

I think they, along with Iceland and Norway should be able to traditionally hunt whales, responsibly, in their own waters. They have been at it for centuries.

If Paul Watson starts up Land Shepherd and starts harassing sheep and cattle abbatoirs, then I suspect many people will take a different view of him.

Either become a Jain or realise that man is top predator and uses many other creatures in his diet.

These people are no different from the Chinese. They will find loopholes to continue to hunt and eat sick.gif whales, dolphins, pangolins and tigers.

Are you being sarcastic or just utterly stupid for saying that the Japanese are no different from the Chinese.

Because,I don't think the Japanese eat Pangolins neither Tigers.

FYI, shark flake is the most type of common fish to be served in Australian Fish & Chips. So sharks are fine but Whales aren't?

And there must be a reason why dolphin-safe label exist right?

It's not just what you call "These people" that eat marine life.

• Like 2

I am glad Japan is out of the Southern Whale Sanctuary.

I think they, along with Iceland and Norway should be able to traditionally hunt whales, responsibly, in their own waters. They have been at it for centuries.

If Paul Watson starts up Land Shepherd and starts harassing sheep and cattle abbatoirs, then I suspect many people will take a different view of him.

Either become a Jain or realise that man is top predator and uses many other creatures in his diet.

If you can not see the differance between these 2 groups Cats4ever then you need a white stick, one is producing the animals that are needed for slaughter, the other hunting a species into extinction.

• Like 2

Rearing for slaughter is no different from hunting, it's still unnecessary killing to eat. Humans do not need to eat animals or fish and those pointing the finger at the 'nasty' Japanese are of course stuffing themselves with dead animals everyday, so who are the real hypocrites here?

• Like 2

Let's hope that this is true and the barbaric acts will end. The way they kill the whales is horrific ! Now what about the dolphins at 'The Cove' ?

And all the pigs, sheep, chickens and cows in all the abattoirs? don't kid yourself slaughter is somehow 'humane' - it's not.

• Like 2

They are only stopping in that ocean. An outright ban is what is needed. The majority of whalie meat was rendered down for oil for lamps a century a go and is no longer needed.

• Like 1

Rearing for slaughter is no different from hunting, it's still unnecessary killing to eat. Humans do not need to eat animals or fish and those pointing the finger at the 'nasty' Japanese are of course stuffing themselves with dead animals everyday, so who are the real hypocrites here?

A Typical stupid comment from a Vegan, it is well known that Meat is Brain Food, which is why such people make such comments!

I am not a vegan but I assume from your ignorant comments that you are a carnivore. Meat is not 'brain food' that's pretty obvious! Hindu's in their hundreds of millions are just one example of non meat eaters, and they seem to be pretty smart. Here's a few others, not a long list as I do not want to hurt your brain:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Famous-Vegetarians-in-History/14487

Notable Vegetarians
  • Pythagoras, (580 – 500 BC) Greek mathematician and philosopher
  • Plato, (428 – 347 BC) Greek philosopher
  • Plutarch, (46 – 120 BC) Greek philosopher and biographer
  • St. Frances of Assisi, (1182 – 1226) Italian founder of Franciscan order of friars
  • Leonardo da Vinci, (1452 – 1519) Italian painter, architect and engineer.

--------------------------

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

sloppy reporting.... the decision of ICJ was not as described in a case bought by plaintiffs, incorrectly described.

The decision was that Japan's whaling of the southern ocean was NOT for scientific purposes.

This is somewhat differrent from the original article and the myriad of uninformed comment since.....

They are only stopping in that ocean. An outright ban is what is needed. The majority of whalie meat was rendered down for oil for lamps a century a go and is no longer needed.

Whale meat should be considered a ressource especially when it come to the sustainable whale stocks like Minke whale which is estimated to be of 200.000 individuals in the Atlantic.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

• Like 1