'Special Way' to end conflict possible, Thai Army Chief says

webfact

"Every Thai must return to be the order-loving Thais, not the do-whatever-I-want Thais," Gen. Prayuth said, offering advice to anti- and pro-government protesters alike, "Today we have to be the Thais who have order, respect the laws, and sacrifice our personal interests for the sake of the national interests, to ensure that the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy will be safe".

Was that address to the anti- government protesters that have caused so much damaged to Bangkok and Thailand a whole?

Why did he not say that before, but only after all of these months of protests and killings.

I, for one, hold you, Gen. Prayuth and the whole of the Armed Forces of Thailand responsible for your inaction in this matter, not to remove the protesters from all the Streets in Thailand (to protect the last election help on Feb 2nd) (which cost Thailand 3.2 Billion Baht or more) and get it back to what is used to be "The Land of Smiles"

The Thai Armed Forces failed to deliver on their "Oath" to keep the Nation safe.

Shame on you all, the so called "Thai Armed Forces" .

Please give us back "The Land of Smiles" wai.gif

Quite a good twist you did on that quote. Are you a schoolteacher for kg?

However no matter what twist you want for your fairytale happy ending this quote was not directed to the PDRC. It went to all thai people. And your comment about stopping the PDRC would have him in prison for violating the thai constitution allowing peaceful protests.

As for the last comment about general prayuths duty and him not doing it i believe you are partially correct

We will call it a half truth. Only because when the general learned of the UDD and PTP plans to seperate and recruit an army the general did not attack and arrest every participant.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The military have no right to meddle in politics. Who the hell does Prayuth think he is? By rights, this monster should be stripped of his rank for his continued threats to launch a coup.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thai general pontificates about returning to order, obeying lawn but the when it comes to Yingluck he says it's a difficult question.

The role of the military in thailand is to protect the Sovereignty of the nation, regardless of who is Prime Minister or what party they represent.

The structure of the relationship between politicians and the military in Thailand is revealed by the way that politicians of all ranks 'ask' them - they do not have the ability to 'tell' them.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Every Thai must return to be the order-loving Thais, not the do-whatever-I-want Thais," Gen. Prayuth said, offering advice to anti- and pro-government protesters alike, "Today we have to be the Thais who have order, respect the laws, and sacrifice our personal interests for the sake of the national interests, to ensure that the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy will be safe".

Politicians/police etc... Please, please practice what you preach!

The military have no right to meddle in politics. Who the hell does Prayuth think he is? By rights, this monster should be stripped of his rank for his continued threats to launch a coup.

He hasn't threatened a coup but I, for one, wouldn't be unhappy about it if one happened!!!

• Like 2

He didn't threaten a coup. He doesn't need to make threats, he can actually do it and he hasn't. What does that tell you?

• Like 2

"Every Thai must return to be the order-loving Thais, not the do-whatever-I-want Thais," Gen. Prayuth said, offering advice to anti- and pro-government protesters alike, "Today we have to be the Thais who have order, respect the laws, and sacrifice our personal interests for the sake of the national interests, to ensure that the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy will be safe".

Was that address to the anti- government protesters that have caused so much damaged to Bangkok and Thailand a whole?

Why did he not say that before, but only after all of these months of protests and killings.

I, for one, hold you, Gen. Prayuth and the whole of the Armed Forces of Thailand responsible for your inaction in this matter, not to remove the protesters from all the Streets in Thailand (to protect the last election help on Feb 2nd) (which cost Thailand 3.2 Billion Baht or more) and get it back to what is used to be "The Land of Smiles"

The Thai Armed Forces failed to deliver on their "Oath" to keep the Nation safe.

Actually it is the job of the police to maintain order within the country. Admittedly you wouldn't know it here.

The armed forces are there to defend Thailand from foreign tyrants not the home grown ones.

• Like 1

Stop over-reacting.....

What do you expect them to do if this weekend ends up in pure carnage????

Sit back and watch so you can come on here and criticize them for allowing it to happen?

Talk about naive.

There is a difference between keeping groups of demonstrators from attacking each other, and overthrowing the government.

If Prayuth had been only talking about doing the former, then way didn't he spell it out? The vague language that he is using strongly suggests that he is talking about a coup.

• Like 2

He may be the only thing left if the redshirts escalate their terrorist campaign

That is who (the hell) Prayuth is thumbsup.gif

Prayuth is one of the big reasons that the reds are turning to violence. If the 2006 coup (which he played a key role in) hadn't happened, then the UDD would exist at all today. And if they felt that the military was staying out of politics, they they wouldn't feel the need to pick up guns themselves.

• Like 2

First, this is Thailand, not which ever Western country you are from.

Second, he has not once threatened a coup.

• Like 1

Thailand is obviously not ready for a democracy as we know it in the West, maybe in 40-50 years.

If we can not get it our way we try to shut down the country and cry like babies, is what both sides do.

Maybe a coup is not the worst that could happen with the country run by the armed forces and police together. Probably would be the most peaceful time in Thailand for years.

What an unmitigated pile of steaming drivel. Is this guy really the leader of an army? Call on all Thais blah blah work together blah blah restore order blah blah respect laws...... I mean seriously, he'd have more success calling on all Thais not to drink and drive over Songkran. This nonsense bears no relationship to the real world, and to think this guy has tanks!

• Like 1

you should be careful what you write. Calling the Army chief a monster is defamation. I wish he could see what you wrote and be deported for soch childish and ignorant posts. In Singapore you would be quickely dealt with as would a lot of other posters on this forum

• Like 1

Half wit. What do you think the job of the police is?

The army's job is not to be at the beck and call of a corrupt administration openly controlled by a convicted fugitive.

Now, just who is giving their police their orders?

• Like 2

He may be the only thing left if the redshirts escalate their terrorist campaign

That is who (the hell) Prayuth is thumbsup.gif

Prayuth is one of the big reasons that the reds are turning to violence. If the 2006 coup (which he played a key role in) hadn't happened, then the UDD would exist at all today. And if they felt that the military was staying out of politics, they they wouldn't feel the need to pick up guns themselves.

Utter rubbish. The UDD have shown many times they are prepared to use guns in their intimidation campaigns. Nothing to do with fearing the military and most definitely no fear of the police.

Do your homework and check who really started the violence in 2006. And don't dismiss things just to suit your political sympathies.

• Like 2

He has never threatened to coup, in fact he has said it would not be the answer!

Though if the UDD and PDRC keep pushing he may very well have to, or would you prefer civil war?

If he launches a coup then he will probably trigger civil war. What he should have done is deployed soldiers to protect the election from Suthep's thugs. Thailand would have avoided being in limbo like it is now, and the reds wouldn't believe that the army is pro-yellow, and would likely not be raising their own militias.

But then the PTP would have claimed political immunity to avoid the array of corruption charges they face. Then they would've tried to ram or sneak through the amnesty bill again, claiming it was the will of the people. Even though their minority mandate would have been lower than their last one.

Not as easy as you thought - and handing the reins back to an administration that has been shown to act illegally, lie, cheat, and refuses to account for where the money as all gone or open the books, clearly isn't the answer.

gamini, on 02 Apr 2014 - 23:13, said:snapback.png

you should be careful what you write. Calling the Army chief a monster is defamation. I wish he could see what you wrote and be deported for soch childish and ignorant posts. In Singapore you would be quickely dealt with as would a lot of other posters on this forum

Are you for real??

• Like 1

"Suppose you work in a company, and you decide to protest against the company owner," Gen. Prayuth asked the reporter instead

He's trying to invoke the Japanese business teamwork mentality, where many employees are expected to engage in group-singing of the company anthem before work starts, to solidify teamwork spirit and unity. But Thailand is not Japan, and you can't import deep-rooted cultural behaviour patterns.

I think the Chief is right, people do need to unify and work together for peace and prosperity. Our species is always at its best when it works together for the common good. But unity needs to start at the top, working people need to feel that they are part of a team which includes the bosses. This is impossible when the bosses are hiding from justice in the desert, or when they come across as being vastly more important than the other team members. Unity demands a leader with both feet planted firmly on ground-level, somebody who is more akin to his employees than not.

• Like 1

"Suppose you work in a company, and you decide to protest against the company owner," Gen. Prayuth asked the reporter instead

He's trying to invoke the Japanese business teamwork mentality, where many employees are expected to engage in group-singing of the company anthem before work starts, to solidify teamwork spirit and unity. But Thailand is not Japan, and you can't import deep-rooted cultural behaviour patterns.

I think the Chief is right, people do need to unify and work together for peace and prosperity. Our species is always at its best when it works together for the common good. But unity needs to start at the top, working people need to feel that they are part of a team which includes the bosses. This is impossible when the bosses are hiding from justice in the desert, or when they come across as being vastly more important than the other team members. Unity demands a leader with both feet planted firmly on ground-level, somebody who is more akin to his employees than not.

Its a nice idea. But conformity and discipline towards the company lasts as long as the company takes care of all the employees and not just the bosses.

• Like 2

Did you actually read any of the article?

The perpetrator is in Dubai there General. Get to the point, stop delaying and get kick out PTP once and for all.

Better way is to take Suthep in so we can all start to recover from the damage he hes caused.

• Like 1