Can a Thai be a Christian and a Buddhist

Donnievino

In it's pure form Buddhism is not a religion but a life philosophy, Buddha never intended to be seen as a god.

Daily practice of Buddhism in Thailand is blended with all kinds of other religious and suspicion elements from a variety of backgrounds.

In the end all religions are effective means to make large groups of people support decisions that are not in their interest!

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the OP's wife is a devout and practising Buddhist (although I think the use of the word 'devout' in relation to Buddhism is a misnomer) why would he want to convert her to Christianity? Has he no respect for her at all?

Because Christians believe, overtly or covertly, that Christianity is the ONLY true religion and, assuming he loves her, wants her to have salvation also.

Salvation by doing one of these things ? Budishm and Christianity are far from the same thing

post-101358-0-69775900-1396494773_thumb.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

Being a good person needs no religion.

Except that "good" is just a human observation and in fact there is no good or bad.

It might just be semantics and your understanding of the word "good" and "bad", but I would say that good and evil are only human constructs and that there is no definitive "evil".

Morals are just a matter of opinion, not immutable natural laws.

• Like 1

If the OP's wife is a devout and practising Buddhist (although I think the use of the word 'devout' in relation to Buddhism is a misnomer) why would he want to convert her to Christianity? Has he no respect for her at all?

Because Christians believe, overtly or covertly, that Christianity is the ONLY true religion and, assuming he loves her, wants her to have salvation also.

Salvation by doing one of these things ?

Hehe, yeah, I am an atheist, but I am not so desperate to pooh pooh religion based on flawed arguments. All those things were BCE and thus not Christian......Start an argument against Judaism, however, and you may have something.

There are hundreds of thousands of devout Thai Christians. Thai is simply a nationality, and Thai Christians will tell you that. As for her being '"Buddhist", have you asked her why? Her response will most likely be "because that's what my parents were". They will also say they believe in it at first, but after using questions from different angles they will eventually say they don't really believe in it but it is ceremonial. As a former evangelical Christian who came to Christ through Thai Christians, I can tell you Thais have no problems educating themselves on other religions other than Buddhism. They are not sensitive culturally on this subject as supposed to us touchy farang. Although they get the impression Islam is a bit radical. Gee I wonder why.

As a practicing member of the Church of God, the Utterly Indifferent I would say it does not matter one bit either way, as God does not care about you and will take no notice or interest.

The "Church of God, The Utterly Indifferent"?

Mind you, I shouldn't be too scathing as, whether by divine intervention or fate or by creating my own luck, life's been pretty good to me lately.

I know a Thai lady who converted to Christianity--- early one Sunday morning in her village--there was about 2 hrs of "chatter " coming from loudspeakers somewhere -when asked what was all that about--she said -- and I quote---

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian blink.png

anyone else heard these " announcements" ? wai2.gif

Yes, and I got a very good explanation from an English speaking monk.....they publicize who gives what so that there is no question how much money was donated and where it was going to be spent, unlike "missing" funds in so many other religions that will go unnamed. No one person is left to handle the funds either. In some villages, the phuyai baan handles it with others signing receipts and treasury reports with him. No one can be accused of mishandling the funds.

And, yes, Buddhism and Christianity can co-exist in a person's life. It is between the practitioner and whichever deity he or she believes in come Judgement Day. It is not up to us to decide who is right or wrong. I find those that protest the most seem to be unsure of their own beliefs when they want to alter someone else's....just my two-cents worth.

• Like 2

Jesus was not a Christian and Buddha was not a Buddhist. They also did not propagate those religions.

The religions got formed around some teachings three hundred years after in both cases.

There is a huge amount of evidence that Jesus was in India and Tibet from age 13 to 30 and zero evidence in the Bible to refute it.

In India Jesus came in contact with Hindu and Buddhist sages that helped him to realize his full unity with God as many have done already in the Indian tradition and continue to this day.

Trust me that many Christians are rotting in hell because of their contempt for non-Christians and many Buddhist are in heaven because of their simple belief in kindness and compassion.

Is not kindness and compassion what Jesus was trying to teach?

The best way to convert someone is to be good example and let them convert by their own desire not by putting any pressure or fear of rejection, furthermore there is no need to change religions as a Buddhist can love Jesus and a Christian can appreciate the wisdom of Buddha.

Nice thought on conversion.

I've also seen compelling evidence that Jesus returned to India and died years later aged circa 70, in Kashmir.

Thomas almost definitely stayed in Goa.

I know a Thai lady who converted to Christianity--- early one Sunday morning in her village--there was about 2 hrs of "chatter " coming from loudspeakers somewhere -when asked what was all that about--she said -- and I quote---

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian blink.png

anyone else heard these " announcements" ? wai2.gif

Yes, and I got a very good explanation from an English speaking monk.....they publicize who gives what so that there is no question how much money was donated and where it was going to be spent, unlike "missing" funds in so many other religions that will go unnamed. No one person is left to handle the funds either. In some villages, the phuyai baan handles it with others signing receipts and treasury reports with him. No one can be accused of mishandling the funds.

And, yes, Buddhism and Christianity can co-exist in a person's life. It is between the practitioner and whichever deity he or she believes in come Judgement Day. It is not up to us to decide who is right or wrong. I find those that protest the most seem to be unsure of their own beliefs when they want to alter someone else's....just my two-cents worth.

That's two cents well spent luangtom --Thanks for detailing more info on my "early morning call " thumbsup.gif

There are hundreds of thousands of devout Thai Christians. Thai is simply a nationality, and Thai Christians will tell you that. As for her being '"Buddhist", have you asked her why? Her response will most likely be "because that's what my parents were". They will also say they believe in it at first, but after using questions from different angles they will eventually say they don't really believe in it but it is ceremonial. As a former evangelical Christian who came to Christ through Thai Christians, I can tell you Thais have no problems educating themselves on other religions other than Buddhism. They are not sensitive culturally on this subject as supposed to us touchy farang. Although they get the impression Islam is a bit radical. Gee I wonder why.

And gee, I wonder why Muslims (and Sihks and many olive-skinned people of no religion) think Christians in Bible Belt USA are a bit radical too.

I was a Buddhist monk in Thailand once. A few weeks after I had ordained I realised that the other monks had thought I was a Christian (for some unkown reason!). So even though they thought I was of a different religion they allowed me to ordain in their religion.

As for belief, there is no reason a Buddhist can't be a good Christian and there are many that are. Thai Buddhists beliefs are very similar to CHristianity anway. They see the Buddha as some sort of god who grants favous to prayers - ask a Thai what they say or think about when 'praying' in front of a Buddha statue and they will be asking for personal favours such as money etc.

Bankei

Religious choice is essentially a personal decision. While some organized churches, in this case, might not allow someone who has not renounced Buddhism to become a member of their church, there really isn't much to keep someone from believing in any manner that he or she wishes. Christianity is practiced in many places in the world that differ from a strict interpretation of only the Bible. In Mexico, they have adopted many of the old Mayan beliefs and practice them openly in the church. In Africa, animism is an accepted part of Christianity. In the US, the Church of Latter Day Saints practices things from the Book of Mormon that are not expressly mentioned in the Bible. Russian Orthodox is different from Roman Catholic which is different from Church of England which is different than Baptist.

Even the Bible, as we know it, is much different than its early incarnations. It took several centuries following The First Council of Nicaea to come up with the foundation of the Bible as we know it today.

The point is that what a Christian is has no set acceptance. If your wife wants to worship as a Christian yet retain her Buddhism, then I would say that is her choice. Welcome her decision.

• Like 2

A very simplistic view of religion.

Some of us have secured our passage to the next life and it didn't come about by denying the higher authority.

As religion is nothing more than performance-based acceptance, then it would simply be a matter of how much time in the day can one afford to perform, and how convincing can they be to convince or persuade others that they are truly self-employing themselves as a Buddhist and Christian.

Religion is the bane of mankind's self-actualization.

On that second line of tripe, I submit that death is not an option, and I haven't sensed any invisible friends yet, to date (which, or whom) satisfy my own requirements of what it takes to hold any authority over anything or anyone.

Everything you have described regarding your concerns over your friend utterly stink of performance-based acceptance and getting all worked up over informing her about six-foot rabbits named Harvey, and urging her to run obstacle courses in front of you to convince you that you are doing Harvey's work.

If it were a matter of spirituality, then this would not even be a thread, simply because you would simply be thankful for enjoying the company of a nice, sweet individual in your life and having absolutely no thought about getting all worked up over informing her about six-foot rabbits named Harvey, and urging her to run obstacle courses in front of you to convince you that you are doing Harvey's work.

But that's the rub. You will not ever be convinced or persuaded that she has a personal relationship with your friend, Harvey, unless she religiously follows your obstacle course daily and you can see her jumping through hoops and balancing objects on her nose.

Rather instead, how about having a little faith in her goodness? Leave her be and accept the good person she is? Cease and desist with your imagined thoughts of what Harvey wants, or what another man or woman in a costume told you what Harvey wants, and just leave things be.

Or, simply leave her and go out and find a like-minded woman instead of becoming romantically involved in doing Harvey's work. If it is all that much of a meaning to you, then I am certain that Harvey understands and your goodness will be to her benefit when Harvey finally grows some cojones and personally decides to come out of hiding and to materializes in front of her and give his own story instead of her having to listen to it from you, or thousands of others (dead or alive) who all cannot seem to agree on the matter.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Jingthing, on 03 Apr 2014 - 04:24, said:
wooloomooloo, on 03 Apr 2014 - 04:12, said:
benalibina, on 03 Apr 2014 - 03:45, said:

Some of us have secured our passage to the next life and it didn't come about by denying the higher authority.

Am I the only one that finds that statement smug and arrogant. Reminds me of way first class passengers look at the great unwashed as they walk by them to the cheap seats. I'd prefer a deity who doesn't reward that!

Fear not, you are not alone... our own, after life paradise, will be so much nicer, without people like wooloomooloo.

• Like 1

Salvation? Salvation in his mind but what of hers? He fell inlove with her as she was now he wants her to make a major life change? Na that's wrong he wants to control her because the religion he practices tells him all other religions are false. That's far from love that's being brain washed and not knowing it.

To be fair, it's not quite like that. If he was a solid believer in the idea (lets just call it that for sake of argument) that smoking is bad for your health and tried to get her to quit....he would be trying to change the person he first fell in love with.

I know it's not the best argument, but the point being that HE truly believes in his god, and so wants to share the benefits of that belief.

I despise prosletysers as much as the next guy, but I do accept that they believe that they are doing good.

As a practicing member of the Church of God, the Utterly Indifferent I would say it does not matter one bit either way, as God does not care about you and will take no notice or interest.

The "Church of God, The Utterly Indifferent"?

Mind you, I shouldn't be too scathing as, whether by divine intervention or fate or by creating my own luck, life's been pretty good to me lately.

A prayer from the Reverend C. Horner Redwine, Church of God, The Utterly Indifferent

Oh Lord Most High, Creator of the Cosmos, Spinner of Galaxies, Soul of Electromagnetic Waves, Inhaler of Inconceivable Volumes of Vacuum, Spitter of Fire and Rock, Trifler with Millennia - what could we do for Thee that Thou couldst not do for Thyself one octillion times better? Nothing. What could we do or say that could possibly interest Thee? Nothing. Oh Mankind, rejoice in the apathy of our Creator, for it makes us free and truthful and dignified at last. No longer can a fool point to a ridiculous accident of good luck and say, "Somebody up there likes me." And no longer can a tyrant say "God wants this or that to happen, and anybody who doesn't help this or that to happen is against God." Oh Lord Most High, what a glorious weapon is Thy Apathy, for we have unsheathed it, have thrust and slashed mightily with it, and the claptrap that has so often enslaved us or driven us into the madhouse lies slain!

- The Reverend C. Horner Redwine

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

Religions are organizations created by men to help people learn and live their version of the teachings of their God. It is true that you do not need to belong to a religion in order to live the teachings of God. You can be a good person without the need of an man made organization (religion) to help you. Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. all have their own espoused path to exultation. But, the life patterns and end goals are all nearly the same. Teach your wife to accept them all, enjoy both the Christian teachings and Buddhist's teachings, plus you do the same. This approach will help you find harmony in your relationship, and you can both achieve respect within your religious needs.

Buddhism is not a Religion.

So the answer is Yes.

Disagree!

DO... or you are not = religion (a.k.a. performance-based acceptance)

BE... and you are = spirituality (a.k.a. faith-based acceptance)

My son may not DO, but he still IS my son. I am the one who hand a direct hand in creating him, and I accept the responsibility of BEING his father forever, and loving him enough to never damn him regardless, and to be there for him as long as I animate this body.

Now, as a divine being, I either accept the responsibility of having a direct hand in creating trillions of people throughout time (fearfully and wonderfully made) and considering them as my children from the get go, or I prove myself a figment of another man's mind and cut them all loose as soon as I get done having a direct hand in creating them, and retreat into hiding in a cowardly fashion to become a dead beat dad.

Then I haunt the imaginations of other people's minds, and get them to self-appoint themselves as my mouth pieces, and to go out and hunt down each other and convince and persuade each other to repent for the crap life I had a hand in putting them all into, and then expect all of them them to come back to me (after it were I who left them after creating them) and apologize; and a few trinkets certainly won't do any harm for the effort and certainly get my Fatherly love stirred up.

Religion takes the blueprint of a father's love for his children, and turns it into the sort of mindless, stinking pap that any intelligent individual, who has ever had a child and loved him or her as I love mine, can see a mile away.

Leave the lady be. Let her be who she is and enjoy it, or have one of those (how did the poster in the other thread put it?) have one of those walk away moments.

That's just a smattering of the many ways I see this. And please don't reply with what Harvey says. Either send Harvey my way, or leave my opinion be.

And gee, I wonder why Muslims (and Sihks and many olive-skinned people of no religion) think Christians in Bible Belt USA are a bit radical too.
Do you have anything productive to add about Thailand? Like I said, touchy farang

Anyone should be able to practice any religion or faith they want, as long as they do not interfere with others in any way. Personally, I respect all religions and faiths except one, and saying it would be against forum rules.

you should learn the truth about Christianity.....there are no Christians in the world anymore....only a bunch of "wanna be's". I guarantee you that you are not a christian regardless of what you believe....because Christianity is a way of living (a behavior). The book can not be followed, therefore there are any such beings. Christ wasn't a christian either....he was a Jew. Sorry to burst your bubble....but you should spend a great deal of time researching christianity....especially HOW the bible came to be!!!!!!!! Seriously, it would make a guy like you sick to your stomach to finally know the true about your "religion".

But..............

Like most of "your kind"....you don't take advice.....

you continue to live blindly

You could learn something from the Buddhist....

A Thai can believe in anything from anywhere at anytime.

A Thai can believe in Hinduism and Buddhism at the same time - as many do - and there are temples to handle this.

A Thai can believe in witchcraft, magic, money, amulets, money-making enterprises in temples, eating meat, praying for luck, anything really and won't have any concerns about conflicts of belief.

A Thai is the complete, unadulterated religious and philosophical realist. Mai pen rai.

Buddhism + Christianity all rolled into one Thai? No problem.

• Like 1

Seastallion, on 03 Apr 2014 - 05:37, said:
sustento, on 03 Apr 2014 - 05:15, said:

Someone should inform "Christians" that Jesus, for the believers, was NOT a Christian.

Love is universal and all Spiritual Avatars taught Love above all other teachings, whatever the differences between religions regarding the after life has no bareing here, and you should have no concern regarding it until you get there and discover the Real Truth, before you reincarnate once again in graduating beyond the pit falls of religion.

Interman, on 03 Apr 2014 - 10:32, said:

You can say the same for most, if not all, religions. Just look at Catholics, christened as babies, so have no say/choice.

• Like 1