Visa Report: Non-Immigrant O (family), Vientiane

Obtaining a Non-Imm O visa is a pretty straight forward process. It is granted to nearly all who apply as it is just the stepping stone in getting prepared for the extension based on marriage. In essence it provides you enough time to get your money in the bank seasoned. Once you have your money seasoned then it is a pretty simple process in getting your extension based on being married to a Thai citizen......then you will need to show your financials....among other things.

Vientiane does not issue the multi entry visa based on marriage to a Thai citizen (ie Savannakhet). I have never heard of Vientiane asking for a letter from your wife asking for the visa to be issued (again like Savannakhet) AND having/showing money in the bank is not required.

So now you have enough time to get the rest of the documents ready and be well prepared for the extension application process (if needed). That is if you plan on staying in Thailand beyond the 90 days.

Yesterday I got a 1-year single entry Marraige Visa in Savannaket @ 5,000 Baht for their fast & friendly service. Had excess documentation and plenty of financials & photos that they did not ask me for, but they were mainly interested in original documents, which makes more sense. (The Aussie Embassy financial document is only a "sworn statement" by the applicant, which is quite simple to obtain). I will now apply for 'multiple entry' separately, otherwise I would have been stuck with 90-day border crossings. The new Thai Consulate (Palace style), near the Savannaket bridge is due to open soon, so maybe prices and conditions will change?? The Savannaket staff go 'out of their way' to help applicants if their is a problem; - I thanked them for their "Excellent Service."

Yesterday I got a 1-year single entry Marraige Visa in Savannaket @ 5,000 Baht for their fast & friendly service. Had excess documentation and plenty of financials & photos that they did not ask me for, but they were mainly interested in original documents, which makes more sense. (The Aussie Embassy financial document is only a "sworn statement" by the applicant, which is quite simple to obtain). I will now apply for 'multiple entry' separately, otherwise I would have been stuck with 90-day border crossings. The new Thai Consulate (Palace style), near the Savannaket bridge is due to open soon, so maybe prices and conditions will change?? The Savannaket staff go 'out of their way' to help applicants if their is a problem; - I thanked them for their "Excellent Service."

The 5000 baht you paid would be for a multiple entry visa a single entry is only 2000 baht. You will need to do border runs every 90 days unless you apply for an extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry you get for each entry the visa allows.

The cost for visas will not change because they opened a new consulate. The base price is set by by the MFA for all locations world wide (other than the exchange rate used at most locations).

• Like 2

Dear "Ubon Joe," - You could be right and they may have given me precisely what I was trying to avoid, (being partially incapacitated). The visa is unclear, in that it states number of entries as "M" but then goes on to state "Enter Before 31st March 2015." It looks like I will have to go back to our local Immigration office and talk to them, as I did not request a 'multiple entry' visa. The whole Thai visa system needs updating, as the border run system is antiquated and a senior Immigration officer once admitted that this was so, but nobody has been prepared to "bite the bullet" as it may be considered as a certain 'loss of face.' An old friend of mine (now deceased) had stayed here for 35-years using monthly visa runs, which amazed even the immigration officers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dear "Ubon Joe," - You could be right and they may have given me precisely what I was trying to avoid, (being partially incapacitated). The visa is unclear, in that it states number of entries as "M" but then goes on to state "Enter Before 31st March 2015." It looks like I will have to go back to our local Immigration office and talk to them, as I did not request a 'multiple entry' visa. The whole Thai visa system needs updating, as the border run system is antiquated and a senior Immigration officer once admitted that this was so, but nobody has been prepared to "bite the bullet" as it may be considered as a certain 'loss of face.' An old friend of mine (now deceased) had stayed here for 35-years using monthly visa runs, which amazed even the immigration officers.

You were given exactly what was asked for .

Nowhere in Asia can a one year visa be obtained which is not multi entry and Savannaket is about the only place a multi entry visa can be obtained.

All "M" multiple entry visas only give a 90 day entry for as many times as the visa is valid , Used correctly the visa will provide a total of almost 15 months stay in Thailand.

If you wish to avoid the border runs then an extension of stay must be applied for which will require the financial hurdles to be cleared.

Edited by thepool

Thanks Ubon Joe, - It looks like the original advice I received was not clear enough, so I will take your advice and the financial requirements are not a problem.Do you know if I can keep applying for an extension of stay more than one time and I am not sure how long an extension of stay would last. To complicate matters further, my wife wants to go to Australia with me late this year on an Australian "spouse visa" for around 6 - 12 months, so I presume that upon returning to Thailand, I would have to go through this whole procedure again, - Thankyou for your very helpful advice....

When you completed the application form at the consulate you must of written multiple in the space for number of entries or perhaps left it blank and they assumed you wanted a multiple entry.

An extension of stay is for one year. If you want to travel you can get a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid. You would just have to return in time to do your next extension.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of current 90 day permit to stay that you got when you entered the country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

On statement 4 from op,I never show money in bank but are quite often asked for all oher documents to be signed by my wife.

What exactly is being referred to when claiming ",I never show money in bank"

That may be true if applying for a visa outside Thailand but finances will have to be demonstrated if seeking an extension of stay.

• 5 months later...

Just a little off the subject but can a U.S. citizen use an Embassy affirmation that one has enough income to get a Non O

based on marriage for one year (not retirement) or must one show financials?

Thanks

You will not get a one multiple entry non-o visa in Vientiane. Savannakhet does them with no financial proof needed.

If you can prove income of 40k baht or more by way of a income affidavit from the embassy you an apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration.

• Like 1

Is it still possible to get a multi-entry (1 year) non immigration O visa from Singapore and then just leave Thailand every 90 days on Holiday (through air) for a few days and return... and then get another multi-entry a year later? ... or are they now wanting you to do the extension through immigration in Thailand?

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

Is it still possible to get a multi-entry (1 year) non immigration O visa from Singapore and then just leave Thailand every 90 days on Holiday (through air) for a few days and return... and then get another multi-entry a year later? ... or are they now wanting you to do the extension through immigration in Thailand?

Not sure if you would get one in Singapore.

There have been no changes. You can still get multiple entry non-o visas at some embassies and consulates.

Some will will want financial proof equal to what is needed to get an extension of stay. If you have the money it is best to get an extension.

I'm planning a trip to the Thai embassy in savannakhet to get a non O basses on marriage.

My Thai wife wants to go with me. Can she go to the embassy with me?

Also does she need a passport to visit Laos with me?

It is a consulate in Savannakhet the embassy is in Vientiane. Your wife can go with you when you apply for the visa.

Normally she could get a border pass but reports are that due to martial law they are not allowing them so she will need her passport. She will get a free 30 day entry.

They are doing the visas on the same day you apply. Make your application before 11am and pick it up at 3:30pm.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just a little off the subject but can a U.S. citizen use an Embassy affirmation that one has enough income to get a Non O

based on marriage for one year (not retirement) or must one show financials?

Thanks

You will not get a one multiple entry non-o visa in Vientiane. Savannakhet does them with no financial proof needed.

If you can prove income of 40k baht or more by way of a income affidavit from the embassy you an apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration.

#Ubon Joe

I'm hearin gthat Savannakhet is over-run at the moment, and I need to go and get myself a Single Entry Non O Visa ( married to a Thai)

Although Vientiane is a more expensive trip - I want to go there instead to avoid any complications in a wait time and abysmal surrounding in SVK.

Do I need to show proof of income in VTN?

Is it a consulate or an Embassy where I apply?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Vientiane will only do a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. In Vientiane you go to the consular section of the embassy

Savannakhet is your only choice if you want a multiple entry non-o.

Things are back to normal now at the consulate in Savannakhet. There was short term rush by Laotians to get tourist visas but that has ended now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

UbonJoe ,

heartfelt thanks in advance for your help. [its Regarding Non O (Retirement) Visa]

I am a totally confused USA Citizen and "New" to this forum !! Apologies in advance , If I am posting in the wrong area :(

(1) Where in Laos do I need to go to Get a Non O Retirement Visa ?

(2) Is this a Single Entry 90 day Visa ? OR a multi-entry 1 year Visa ?

(3) What is the 12 month Extension ? Can I apply for that extension as soon as I Enter Thailand with a Single Entry 90 day Non O Visa ?

(4) I have the Embassy affirmation showing that I have enough income to get a Non O Retirement Visa.

(4A) Do I still need to show Bank Financials ?

(5) I am currently in Thailand on a 2 entry tourist visa. The 2nd entry expires Jan 21 .

Thanks again.

UbonJoe ,

heartfelt thanks in advance for your help. [its Regarding Non O (Retirement) Visa]

I am a totally confused USA Citizen and "New" to this forum !! Apologies in advance , If I am posting in the wrong area sad.png

(3) What is the 12 month Extension ? Can I apply for that extension as soon as I Enter Thailand with a Single Entry 90 day Non O Visa ?

(4) I have the Embassy affirmation showing that I have enough income to get a Non O Retirement Visa.

(5) I am currently in Thailand on a 2 entry tourist visa. The 2nd entry expires Jan 21 .

Thanks again.

1/2. You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over at the embassy in Vientiane. Just attach a copy of you income letter to the income letter and show them the original so you can use it to apply for the extension.

If you live in or near Bangkok you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry if you have at least 15 days remaining on your current entry at immigration. You could apply for the 30 day extension of your 60 day entry and then do the change also.

3. You apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa at the immigration office for where you are living.

4. If your income letter shows an income of 65k baht or more you will not need show money in the bank.

• Like 1

UbonJoe ,

I am a totally confused USA Citizen and "New" to this forum !! Apologies in advance , If I am posting in the wrong area sad.png

Thanks again.

1/2. You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over at the embassy in Vientiane. Just attach a copy of you income letter to the income letter and show them the original so you can use it to apply for the extension.

If you live in or near Bangkok you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry if you have at least 15 days remaining on your current entry at immigration. You could apply for the 30 day extension of your 60 day entry and then do the change also.

3. You apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa at the immigration office for where you are living.

4. If your income letter shows an income of 65k baht or more you will not need show money in the bank.

Ubonjoe

Heartfelt thanks. Indebted to you Sir.

1/2 since I am living nearby Bangkok, I will do the Status change in Chaeng Wattana immigration. Saves me time and expenses of going to Laos. Thanks again:)

Since I have less then 15 days remaining on my 2nd entry (expires Jan 21). I will get the 30 days extension first and then apply for the Visa Status change .

(A) what "other" documents do I need to take to immigration for this status change application? (I have the income Affidavit)

(A1) can I do "Both" process same day?

1st......apply for 30 day extension?

2nd..... Then after getting the extension, apply for the Visa Status Change?

OR , do you suggest 2 separate days ?

How quickly is this change of status processed? Do I surrender my passport to immigration during this processing period ?

------- I have a "Must Go " out of country Commitment ( going by air) on Jan 20 .

how do I make that 14 days trip and Reenter Bangkok without jeopardizing the process?

© once I have this Non O 90 days Visa, can my Spouse (100% housewife) apply for a dependent Non O Visa so that we can be together in Thailand!

(D) Also, once I have the 12 month extension to my non O (retirement) visa, how do we get her the same extension? We want to be together all the time in Thailand.

3. Understood, thanks.

4. Understood, thanks

I will wait for your "valued" comments/guidance to my above questions. Once I have that, I will immediately start the process.

With Gratitude.

UbonJoe ,

Thanks again.

Ubonjoe

1/2 since I am living nearby Bangkok, I will do the Status change in Chaeng Wattana immigration. Saves me time and expenses of going to Laos. Thanks again:)

Since I have less then 15 days remaining on my 2nd entry (expires Jan 21). I will get the 30 days extension first and then apply for the Visa Status change .

(A) what "other" documents do I need to take to immigration for this status change application? (I have the income Affidavit)

How quickly is this change of status processed? Do I surrender my passport to immigration during this processing period ?

------- I have a "Must Go " out of country Commitment ( going by air) on Jan 20 .

how do I make that 14 days trip and Reenter Bangkok without jeopardizing the process?

© once I have this Non O 90 days Visa, can my Spouse (100% housewife) apply for a dependent Non O Visa so that we can be together in Thailand!

(D) Also, once I have the 12 month extension to my non O (retirement) visa, how do we get her the same extension? We want to be together all the time in Thailand.

3. Understood, thanks.

4. Understood, thanks

I will wait for your "valued" comments/guidance to my above questions. Once I have that, I will immediately start the process.

With Gratitude.

It will take about 2 weeks to complete the change of visa status application. You apply for it and then return to immigration 2 weeks later to have the visa/entry stamps done in your passport. You would not be able to do it before trip out of the country.

It would be best to make the trip and re-enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You wife will have to get her non-o visa from a embassy or consulate. Immigration will not do a change to non-immigrant visa for a dependent extension.

It would be best if you both went out of the country to get non-o visa at the same time.

UbonJoe ,

Thanks again.

Ubonjoe

3. Understood, thanks.

4. Understood, thanks

With Gratitude.

It will take about 2 weeks to complete the change of visa status application. You apply for it and then return to immigration 2 weeks later to have the visa/entry stamps done in your passport. You would not be able to do it before trip out of the country.

It would be best to make the trip and re-enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You wife will have to get her non-o visa from a embassy or consulate. Immigration will not do a change to non-immigrant visa for a dependent extension.

It would be best if you both went out of the country to get non-o visa at the same time.

Thanks

OK will do that at the same time when we leave on the 20th for 14 days .[ It would be best if you both went out of the country to get non-o visa at the same time.]

1. What "other" documents do I need to take to Thai Embassy or Consulate for Non O 90 days Visa ? .

2. What documents does my wife needs to have for her Non O dependent Visa ?

3. So, after I get my Visa (Single Entry Non O 90 days ) And Wife gets her Visa ( Single Entry Non O Dependent --90 days )

we both enter Thailand and apply with Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana immigration) for the 12 month extension on the 61 st day of our stay .

In that extension application, we present the "same" docs from 1/2 ?

4. Please feel free to "correct" my summation (understandings) of "all" your guidance .

Thanks again, with Gratitude

Hi Ubonjoe:

Checking in with you for "last minute" guidance , As the missus and I are getting ready to go out of country (TH) for 14 days .

***** Can you kindly go over my summation of Jan 7 and tell me whether my understandings of your instructions are correct.

I just wanted to make sure, that as we are leaving , I am taking all the proper documents with us so that our Visa applications do not face any obstacle(s) [ my Non O Visa (Retirement) application + Her No O Dependency Visa Application ]

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

OK will do that at the same time when we leave on the 20th for 14 days .[ It would be best if you both went out of the country to get non-o visa at the same time.]

1. What "other" documents do I need to take to Thai Embassy or Consulate for Non O 90 days Visa ? .

2. What documents does my wife needs to have for her Non O dependent Visa ?

3. So, after I get my Visa (Single Entry Non O 90 days ) And Wife gets her Visa ( Single Entry Non O Dependent --90 days )

we both enter Thailand and apply with Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana immigration) for the 12 month extension on the 61 st day of our stay .

In that extension application, we present the "same" docs from 1/2 ?

4. Please feel free to "correct" my summation (understandings) of "all" your guidance .

Thanks again, with Gratitude

1.You will only need the your passport and income letter.

2. Marriage certificate plus a copy.

3. You can apply for your extension up to 45 days before your 90 day entry ends.

Same for you plus proof of residence.

You will apply for your extension first and then your wife will need a copy of your passport photo page and extension of stay stamp to apply for her extension.

Ubonjoe:

Heartfelt thanks. You are "truly" heaven sent to help your fellow TVF members (esp. lost /confused "newbies" like us).

Thank you, thank you !!:)

Each point understood and we will do "exactly" as you have "conscientiously" guided the 2 of us.

With Gratitude.