World War II bomb explosion: Bangkok scrap shop owner to face charges

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all the fault of the farangs, who originally dropped the bomb on Thailand (or perhaps somewhere else in S.E.Asia), in the first place ! rolleyes.gif

I was wondering the same thing... I don't recall any WWII bombing in central Thailand. There was a little along the Japanese rail road, but no widespread bombing or action in Thailand during the war. So where would this ordinance come from? WWII seems strange...

From 1942 through 1945 there were over twenty bombing raids by the allies on Bangkok and surrounding areas plus one at Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

A tragedy preventable by regulation and some common sense.

Why was there no mention of the police taking action against the construction workers who dug up the dam thing and then transported it through the city.

Compensation sums are a disgrace especially when coming from those who live in 2 to 4 million Baht property's.

The very essence of this country is highlighted in this disaster.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the Thai media hasn't yet blamed the falangs who dropped the bomb.

But then again, that would mean reminding the Thai people that they declared war on the UK and USA.

The puppet leader of japan declared war on the U S however the Thai ambasador in Washington refused to deliver it. So in the wash up Thailand ( as opposed to the Japanese invaders) did not declare war on the U S. The U S bombed Bangkok to take out the Japanese H Q there. None the less a real tragedy for these poor workers who would have no idea about bombs and a real tragedy for all those affected..

cut a bomb with a torch, ahhhh... well, this is thailand after all...

its like putting out the garbage fire, with petrol

Mai pen rai

let the poor and innocent die

leave with disgrace

for the sake of saving face

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Potential Darwin Award winners, will be a proud day if they win the 2014 title. Standby for "Thailand intends to become The Hub for Darwin Award competitors,we will invest in the education system to ensure by 2016 that we are the leaders in ASEAN".

Boy! here we go again - As I have pointed out many times - Darwin does not issue awards - it is a simple pass/fail test and nothing more.

It's all the fault of the farangs, who originally dropped the bomb on Thailand (or perhaps somewhere else in S.E.Asia), in the first place ! rolleyes.gif

I was wondering the same thing... I don't recall any WWII bombing in central Thailand. There was a little along the Japanese rail road, but no widespread bombing or action in Thailand during the war. So where would this ordinance come from? WWII seems strange...

Read History. American B29's and Liberators bombed Bangkok on at least a dozen occasions. This particular Bomb was dropped by a B29 on a mission to bomb Bangkok's Railway Marshalling Yards...and it was dug up in that very area.

• Like 2

Only in your dellusional Thai bashing mind.

mrtoad, on 03 Apr 2014 - 07:37, said:

Potential Darwin Award winners, will be a proud day if they win the 2014 title. Standby for "Thailand intends to become The Hub for Darwin Award competitors,we will invest in the education system to ensure by 2016 that we are the leaders in ASEAN".

Darwin's theory of "Natural Selection" seems to be proven wrong in Thailand. Why are there so many dumb shites here.

Why indeed. Especially as most of them come up with the incredibly original "Darwin" theory, again.

As soon as I heard about the bomb I guessed some greedy little Arthur Daley type entrepreneur had a hand in this?

Cutting a WW2 bomb with a blow torch.....fark ????

UNBELIEVEABLE

This guy and the school staff that sent the children to sit on crocodiles for photos are perhaps this years semi-finalists.

To be fair and balanced it would seem the country attracts some "darwin eligible" farangs also.

I'm surprised the Thai media hasn't yet blamed the falangs who dropped the bomb.

But then again, that would mean reminding the Thai people that they declared war on the UK and USA.

Don't mention the war. whistling.gif

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Whatever the outcome, if he is high enough up in the hi-so pecking order, the owner will get away scott free and one of the dead workers will get the blame. Take for instance the Kader toy factory fire, one of Thailands biggest disasters. 188 girls died, 469 injuries, many critical. There were no emergency exits in the top floors of the 3 story building, many just jumped off, what exits there were at ground level, all locked, many died from smoke trapped in escape exits with locked doors.........................Guess what. All directors , owners and manager were exonerated but the real culprit was found to be a labourer who was smoking !

And people today wonder why the uneducated working class have had enough of these Suthep types who own and control industry. Unless things change drastically, one of two things are in store for Thailand , Dictatorship (under Suthep) or civil war.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

No one would cut open a crane hammer, so they must have known it was a bomb and just wanted to see what was inside.

AND ON THAT BOMBSHELL.............................................................

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It reminds me of the tragedy of the radiation canister of 2000: A radiation accident occurred in Samut Prakan Province, Thailand in January–February 2000. The accident happened when an insecurely stored unlicensed cobalt-60 radiation source was recovered by scrap metal collectors who, together with a scrapyard worker, subsequently dismantled the container, unknowingly exposing themselves and others nearby to ionizing radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samut_Prakan_radiation_accident

That brings back memories.

The puppet leader of japan declared war on the U S however the Thai ambasador in Washington refused to deliver it. So in the wash up Thailand ( as opposed to the Japanese invaders) did not declare war on the U S. The U S bombed Bangkok to take out the Japanese H Q there. None the less a real tragedy for these poor workers who would have no idea about bombs and a real tragedy for all those affected..

Not true at all. The Thai Prime Minister even surprised the Japanese when Thailand declared war on the Western Allies.

And although it's a lovely warm story, the supposedly non-delivered declaration in Washington is not true - it's been denied by both Thai and American participants. Nice story, but that's all it is. And even if it were true, it would be irrelevant. Delivering a declaration might be friendly, but diplomatically unnecessary.

The bombing of Bangkok was against the Japanese HQ as well as against the rail marshalling yards, and the port facilities.

• Like 1

Some images for reference.

Imagine the scene, the cutting torch and that bomb. It just defies logic, I can't believe they could be so stupid.

And these are the same people who want to build and operate a bullet train.

• Like 1

I thought Thai courts didnt recognise negligence? My God, I see literally hundreds of instances every day (every hour) that wouldnt pass the most basic of risk assessments. Cutting open a large, metal, bomb-shaped object with a blow torch is a bit of a clanger though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Guy should be on gross negligence or manslaughter charges if he knew he was buying an UXB, pathetic amount to give for a destroyed home and 10k for fatalities is just bah.gif id want his head on a plate if one of mine was a victim. Then again 5k would probably sort that anyway here.

Yea Peoples lives are very cheap here.

I'm curious to know if Thailand really did declare war on the Allies (not only the USA and the UK). Remember the railway?

From the little I know of the subject, they capitulated rather than fight, which might have delayed things by a few days only.

Any references anyone? wai.gif