Young adults and their sexual morality - Facebook posts

onlycw

The obsession with self was a mainly Western phenomenon that is now being absorbed by Thailand and other countries, facilitated by FB and the Internet in general. Unfortunately, it runs counter to Buddhist teachings.

Monks can advise the laity against "sexual misconduct" (3rd precept), which in Thailand often seems to mean promiscuity, but I think any sermons on the dangers of an inflated sense of self would be lost on the Facebook generation.

The Buddhist teachings you cite are a direct result of an analysis of the obsession of self, inherent in all mankind, yet you are attempting to label it as a Western phenomenon? Face is tantamount to Thai society and is the definition of obsession with self.

Perhaps the wayward youth would be more open to the Buddhist scriptures if it were not so obvious that Buddhism in Thailand is a business inwhich so few of the monks practice what they preach.

• Like 1

Is morality just an invention of man ?

It depends on how you define it.

I think sex outside of marriage was discouraged to avoid having children without parents.

Sex at too young an age produces a mother who isn't mature enough to care for a child.

And so it goes.

Is that "morality" or is it a communal need? Is it morality or is it practicality?

I could go on...

Although not an adult I recently asked a 16 year old about FB. They were proud to tell me they had over 900 friends. I asked how many they had actually met in 'real life'. It was 12 people.facepalm.gif

Yes, but then I can say that I have conversed with people online for over 12 years from all over the world, whom I have never met.

Rather than it being about digital relationships (for many people in the past, a pen friend in another country was someone they never got to met in real life) the questionable thing is the level of narcissism that can be found going on with all this. I can think of one example from this year. I was hiking down to a beach on a Greek island and there was a family near me also on the way down, trailing bored looking teenage daughter perhaps 18 or so who was trailing behind them because she was stopping every 2 minutes or so to take a selfie to send back. In itself that wasn't a problem, but what stood out for me was that in the moments before she took each photo she looked miserable and bored as hell. Once holding up the camera phone, she was putting on this wholy false and inane joyous expression, quickly followed by a return to bored face and extreme scrutiny of the photo just taken, followed by repeated attempts unti lthe image was 'just right'. I didn't buy what she was selling to whoever it was she was sending it to. The recipients were receving a lie at their end, and that to me is the issues that can arise from the 'self marketing' aspect of things like facebook etc.

It would seem from my observations that many young adults here and in the west are self obsessed and I personally call them the X factor generation. They are constantly taking selfies, taking photos over and over again where ever they are. Letting everyone know on FB when they are basically going for a crap. Well if that is development you can keep it.

More sophisticated and advanced gentlemen choose internet message boards to affirm their physical prowess, documented in any Thai Visa topic related to relationships and/or age gaps.

Exactly with a touch of sarcasm. Like the advanced Gentleman statement.smile.png

It's not only on facebook.

Some of my uni students talk very openly about this. One of the boys (about 19 - 20 yrs old), who attracts lots of

sexy forthright girls openly tells me he scans many chat sites popular with teens and reveals himself live full nude

full face and masturbating and he's very proud it gets results of meet-ups and full sex. He's also mentioned he's

got plenty of clips short / longer clips made on his smartphone of actual sex in short-time hotels etc., with his conquests.

One of the other male students asked 'do girls agree to making these clips?'. Answer: 'often yes, but sometimes

I video it secretly'.

One very forthright girl in the same class (about 20 yrs old) has a boyfriend in the class, they've been together for a couple

of years. The boyfriend is the male idol of the class and other girls drool over him. His girlfriend continuously talks about

their sex life in detail in front her male and female classmates. A few months back the boyfriend was just about the walk

out of the classroom to go to 7 (this is during a break) and the girl yelled across the room to tell him to but a pack of fanny

pads, all heard by everybody in the room. There is no doubt she says things like this for shock value.

Within the last couple of years I've heard folks from my original country talk about the same subject. Their comments

are exactly the same as I've written just above.

Although not an adult I recently asked a 16 year old about FB. They were proud to tell me they had over 900 friends. I asked how many they had actually met in 'real life'. It was 12 people.facepalm.gif

Yes, but then I can say that I have conversed with people online for over 12 years from all over the world, whom I have never met.

Rather than it being about digital relationships (for many people in the past, a pen friend in another country was someone they never got to met in real life) the questionable thing is the level of narcissism that can be found going on with all this. I can think of one example from this year. I was hiking down to a beach on a Greek island and there was a family near me also on the way down, trailing bored looking teenage daughter perhaps 18 or so who was trailing behind them because she was stopping every 2 minutes or so to take a selfie to send back. In itself that wasn't a problem, but what stood out for me was that in the moments before she took each photo she looked miserable and bored as hell. Once holding up the camera phone, she was putting on this wholy false and inane joyous expression, quickly followed by a return to bored face and extreme scrutiny of the photo just taken, followed by repeated attempts unti lthe image was 'just right'. I didn't buy what she was selling to whoever it was she was sending it to. The recipients were receving a lie at their end, and that to me is the issues that can arise from the 'self marketing' aspect of things like facebook etc.

Whilst I see what you are saying I also know of younger, children who have similar amounts of friends on FB. I am quite suspicious of Pedro from wherever, if you get my meaning being friends with children. With wifi and internet access for any, as parents it is very difficulty to police FB and other social networks and you never know what is going on.

Q1: Is there a new trend in young people's behavior?

No, young people have been 'getting some' for centuries.

Q2: Is this typical for 18 years olds - changing partners weekly and posting about intercourse on FB?

Two part question; yes it is typical to be doing it like rabbits. However, FB is a recent affectation. Cave men scratched pictures on cave walls using charcoal.

Q3: What do the monks teach about these issues?

The monks have absolutely no teaching on this. Why on earth would they? They have no influence here at all.

For example, I used to covet my uncles stick books on summer holidays up to the point when I discovered that a boner wasn't meant for pissing over a high wall. Then it was game-on and trading notes and partners was typical behaviour with adolescent village youth.

More recently, my step-daughter gave me her phone to see if it was repairable after it fell out of her pocket when on the motorbike. After discarding the shattered carcass, I gave her back the micro SD memory card saying that everything on that looked like it was OK. She looked mortified that I may have seen what she and her friends were sharing. Pretty much the same idea as the tattered, dog-eared copy of Fiesta that got passed around the back of the school bus all those years ago.

It's the technology, not the kids.