Pollution and Songkran - advice urgently needed!

coralia

A friend of mine will be in Chiang Mai between 11-15 April with her little boy; unfortunately she has booked this trip without consulting me, or else I would have told her not to set foot in Thailand at all in April...sad.png Too late for that now. I have two questions:

1. Pollution. I have asked about this already, and got the answer that the air should clear up by Songkran. In spite of that, I keep reading on this forum that the air is still very bad there. She will be in Chiang Mai in just over a week - will the situation improve by then...? I realize that nobody's a prophet, but based on experience from previous years...?

2. Songkran. Should I advise them to stay in their hotel (I think it's a resort, quite far from the centre of town) all the time? I understand that people will be throwing water around the moat, so that area should be avoided completely. But what about the rest of the town? Are there any "safe" areas? Could they visit the Zoo (I remember they had some pandas...) and Wat Suthep?

They are also planning to visit the Golden Triangle. Is that a good idea, given all these problems?...

Please advise. I have never been to Chiang Mai at this time of the year, I don't know what to tell her...

Thank you very much!

Does your friend have bad health or some thing?

If so don't come. As for the water around the moat being thrown yes there is always a chance of some thing going wrong there. But it is over blown in the reporting. Many of the people doing it in that location have been doing it for years no problem. It is a very small percentage that get some thing from it. Rent a vehicle and drive around the moat and have a look and then think to your self are these people doing it for the first time and all going to have problems. Answer no many repeaters.

There are other areas to experience it in to a far lesser degree. Why come during the season if she has to hide out from it. Or is that you projecting your fears onto her. Maybe the kid might love it.

I see no problem with visiting the golden triangle it has been a tourist attraction for years still is.

I guess I haven't made my point quite clear: my friend has booked this trip to Thailand without consulting me; she doesn't know anything about Thailand. She was not aware that April is the hottest month, she was not aware of the pollution problem or of the political trouble, and she has no idea what Songkran is about. I tried to tell her but she doesn't believe it's going to be that bad... I guess some stupid travel agent offered her some discounted tickets and she thought it would be a good idea to go to Thailand... She is definitely not the sort of person who would appreciate having water thrown at her!!! Her little boy is a fragile 4-year old. I tried to convince her to cancel the whole trip but she won't . At least she seems to have booked herself good hotels/resorts... Someone please tell me if they can go to the Zoo and Doi Suthep? Is there any chance that there will be lunatics throwing water in those parts of town...? And should I advise them to wear face masks?

Thanks again.

Coralia, it seems that you are a good friend and duly concerned.

But you have given her fair warning - what else can you do?

Maybe she is a Pollyanna like the previous posters. I hope her son doesn't have to get IV antibiotics like two of my friends did.

" Someone please tell me if they can go to the Zoo and Doi Suthep? Is there any chance that there will be lunatics throwing water in those parts of town...? "

Anywhere outside throughout Thailand you are susceptible to getting splashed.

• Like 1

I suggest having her view some youtube videos so she can see what songkran in Chiang Mai is all about. It may very well not be to her liking. If she doesn't want to get wet, she needs to go everywhere in a car. This town is madness at Songkran. The best stuff in Chiang Mai (in my opinion) is out of town anyway, so she needs to plan her days spent here carefully.

I agree with others that the pollution problem is overblown and has been far worse in past years, and most likely even less of an issue at Songkran.

I suggest having her view some youtube videos so she can see what songkran in Chiang Mai is all about. It may very well not be to her liking. If she doesn't want to get wet, she needs to go everywhere in a car. This town is madness at Songkran. The best stuff in Chiang Mai (in my opinion) is out of town anyway, so she needs to plan her days spent here carefully.

I agree with others that the pollution problem is overblown and has been far worse in past years, and most likely even less of an issue at Songkran.

All the problems are over blown.

That is not to say there are not problems just not near as some would have you believe.

It can be an eye opener for many westerners to see a whole nation celebrate with out fear of what they will look like.

To be able to celebrate on an on going basis in public. Almost unheard of in the western world. With the exception of course New Orleans and Rio in Brazil. Maybe the friend won't like it but that is not any of the OPs business. If the friend does not enjoy it then feel sad for them. If they do enjoy it then feel happy for them.

My advice for the OP is to stay at home cover their head under the blankets and let their friend enjoy the festivities with 90% of the rest of the people living here.

Also pass on Winnie's advice.

Unfortunately this good friend of mine has no time or patience for Youtube, Wikipedia, or even leafing through a travel guide... Besides, she's leaving tonight for Bangkok (just in time to catch some lively demonstrations tomorrow...). I'm glad to see that most posters think all the problems are overblown and are making fun of me... hopefully they are right. I have been to Thailand about 20 to 30 times (can't remember exactly), and I have had quite a few unpleasant experiences there, although I had read the Lonely Planet in depth and tried never to do anything silly... I was caught up in Pattaya during Songkran 10 years ago, it was disgusting (though I understand from the Pattaya forum that it's much worse now). I remember that we spent a lot of money changing our flight tickets to get out of Thailand immediately. I can only hope that Chiang Mai is not as bad as Pattaya...!

Hopefully the political trouble won't affect them either... I was in Thailand in November 2008 when the yellow crowd occupied the airports, it was not fun (though perhaps they thought otherwise... nobody wants to prevent Thai people from having fun, of course...). I'm probably paranoid but I'm afraid that it could happen again: I remember that it was a remarkably efficient method for bringing down the government. Oh, and I had some unpleasant experiences in Chiang Mai as well: a close relative of mine was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing, right in front of Kad Suan Kaew. Broken leg, four days in hospital (Chiang Mai Ram is lovely - better than any hotel!), six weeks with her leg in a cast. All because of her bad karma, of course... I hope my friend and her little boy will be able to avoid crossing streets... perhaps they'll levitate instead!!

I apologize for being so grumpy... I suppose I'll feel a lot better when they'll be back home safely!!

Thanks all for answering my post.

By the way, what happened to the Downtown Inn?...... I may want to stay there if I ever visit Chiang Mai again.wink.png I missed THAT experience!!!

Our bodies are all different. I got really soaked my first songkran, and ended up throwing up this weird white liquid. It is possible that it was a result of the CO2 from the cars, or a mix of that and bad water. or both. or neither. i was fine after a 24 hour scare. That moat never looks clean. However, if you do everything in moderation i'm sure you/them will be fine. remember, there is risk in everything we do. so, deep breaths, relax, and you will be fine.

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is horrible. I was there about 10-15 years ago too. Chiang Mai is much better for many reasons.

Thanks, Winnie, I hope you're right... Since you seem to be the most knowledgeable person on this forum, could you just tell me if you think it's safe for them to go to the Zoo and Doi Suthep?... I'm afraid they're going to spend their four days in Chiang Mai holed up in their hotel (or resort, whatever). I can't imagine people splashing each other either at the Zoo or at Wat Suthep - but then, with Thai people, you never know...

Thanks again.

" Someone please tell me if they can go to the Zoo and Doi Suthep? Is there any chance that there will be lunatics throwing water in those parts of town...? "

" I can't imagine people splashing each other either at the Zoo or at Wat Suthep - but then, with Thai people, you never know... "

Anywhere outside throughout Thailand you are susceptible to getting splashed.

Edited by ThaiWx

Been asking the same question, but NO! Okay if young, good lungs, no allergies & a nonsmoker. Otherwise wIt for a month into the Rainy season - June or July.

Here's a TV thread from not to long ago, very much doubt anything has changed since.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/712428-chiang-mai-tourism-unaffected-by-haze-pollution/

It's Thailand, travel, enjoy, if you die, more will come to replace you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is horrible. I was there about 10-15 years ago too. Chiang Mai is much better for many reasons.

Thanks, Winnie, I hope you're right... Since you seem to be the most knowledgeable person on this forum, could you just tell me if you think it's safe for them to go to the Zoo and Doi Suthep?... I'm afraid they're going to spend their four days in Chiang Mai holed up in their hotel (or resort, whatever). I can't imagine people splashing each other either at the Zoo or at Wat Suthep - but then, with Thai people, you never know...

Thanks again.

Actually, given that it's the main religious event of the year too, I would definitely recommend they make it out to some temples (any temples) including Doi Suthep. The key though is leaving very early especially when going to Doi Suthep because traffic will be very challenging especially when coming back. For Doi Suthep think leaving at like 6am. ;) Virtually nobody will be hurling water at that time (perhaps some early-bird kids) BUT... it's going to be 38 degrees C out there.. getting a cooling splash is hardly the end of life as we know it..?

But anyway, traffic will be the issue coming back from Doi Suthep. Tuk tuks or red bus songthaew drivers will know of ways to get back though, mostly likely cutting through CMU and then Suthep Road (because Huay Kaew is blocked) which is still navigable until noon or so. After that the only way to get into town is through the airforce base (whcih doesn't require tags during songkran), Aom Muang Ring road and then up Chang Klan. (No need to remember this, taxi / tuk tuk drivers will know nad manage)

Zoo is in the same area so a very similar story. So yes it's very possible.. Catching the temple events (not necessarily Doi Suthep) is a really good experience, lots going on and lots to see. Some tours will also still go on, so they could book something that involves tigers and elephants. Will they get a splash or two (or more) : absolutely. But.. cooling down from the insane heat is pretty nice! You sometimes sound like they're throwing Sulfuric Acid around. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks again.

Actually, given that it's the main religious event of the year too, I would definitely recommend they make it out to some temples (any temples) including Doi Suthep. The key though is leaving very early especially when going to Doi Suthep because traffic will be very challenging especially when coming back. For Doi Suthep think leaving at like 6am. wink.png Virtually nobody will be hurling water at that time (perhaps some early-bird kids) BUT... it's going to be 38 degrees C out there.. getting a cooling splash is hardly the end of life as we know it..?

But anyway, traffic will be the issue coming back from Doi Suthep. Tuk tuks or red bus songthaew drivers will know of ways to get back though, mostly likely cutting through CMU and then Suthep Road (because Huay Kaew is blocked) which is still navigable until noon or so. After that the only way to get into town is through the airforce base (whcih doesn't require tags during songkran), Aom Muang Ring road and then up Chang Klan. (No need to remember this, taxi / tuk tuk drivers will know nad manage)

Zoo is in the same area so a very similar story. So yes it's very possible.. Catching the temple events (not necessarily Doi Suthep) is a really good experience, lots going on and lots to see. Some tours will also still go on, so they could book something that involves tigers and elephants. Will they get a splash or two (or more) : absolutely. But.. cooling down from the insane heat is pretty nice! You sometimes sound like they're throwing Sulfuric Acid around. wink.png

Thank you very much, Winnie! I'll try to pass all that information on to my friend... Hopefully their hotel will be able to arrange an air-conditioned car (not a tuk-tuk or a songthaew) for them, so they'll feel safer and perhaps they'll keep dry... Booking a tour also sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again.

I guess I haven't made my point quite clear: my friend has booked this trip to Thailand without consulting me; she doesn't know anything about Thailand. She was not aware that April is the hottest month, she was not aware of the pollution problem or of the political trouble, and she has no idea what Songkran is about. I tried to tell her but she doesn't believe it's going to be that bad... I guess some stupid travel agent offered her some discounted tickets and she thought it would be a good idea to go to Thailand... She is definitely not the sort of person who would appreciate having water thrown at her!!! Her little boy is a fragile 4-year old. I tried to convince her to cancel the whole trip but she won't . At least she seems to have booked herself good hotels/resorts... Someone please tell me if they can go to the Zoo and Doi Suthep? Is there any chance that there will be lunatics throwing water in those parts of town...? And should I advise them to wear face masks?

Thanks again.

Relax for goodness sake. Many nice places and things to do. They throw water...so what it's hot. Kids love it. Stay away from the moat. Go to an outer village where it is not so busy. Get wet and have an experience to remember. As for political problems ??? Where in Chiangmai??? It is a happy time and if you dress for it , cover your valuables just simply go and have fun. If you are so agaist it you can always hide in your room and watch t v. YUK

Thanks again.

Relax for goodness sake. Many nice places and things to do. They throw water...so what it's hot. Kids love it. Stay away from the moat. Go to an outer village where it is not so busy. Get wet and have an experience to remember. As for political problems ??? Where in Chiangmai??? It is a happy time and if you dress for it , cover your valuables just simply go and have fun. If you are so agaist it you can always hide in your room and watch t v. YUK

Yes, well, they are in Bangkok right now and I haven't heard from them.sad.png

They'll be going to Kanchanaburi next and I see the temperature there is 43 degrees........bah.gif

I know they'll be spending most of this "holiday" holed up in their hotel rooms... at least they'll be in good hotels. But it's a pity she spent so much money on flights.

Thanks again.

Yes, well, they are in Bangkok right now and I haven't heard from them.sad.png

They'll be going to Kanchanaburi next and I see the temperature there is 43 degrees........bah.gif

I know they'll be spending most of this "holiday" holed up in their hotel rooms... at least they'll be in good hotels. But it's a pity she spent so much money on flights.

Jesus, are you for real?

You are happy they will be "holed up in their hotel rooms"?!

Are you also scared of your own shadow?

You really need to chill out and stop worrying. I see many young kids at Songkran having fun.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2