xpat pattaya vs phuket

davetrout

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT Given that the largest expat community is Japanese by a long way Bangkok is where the most expats live.

When looking at the other two it must be difficult to tell locals or residents from tourists.

OT Given that the largest expat community is Japanese by a long way Bangkok is where the most expats live.

When looking at the other two it must be difficult to tell locals or residents from tourists.

I think Bangkok is fairly obvious as a city of 7 million+. OP Pattaya vs. Phuket

Should the question have been "is there more retirees in Pats or Phuket?"

Because there are no expats here and in patters that aren't retired?

Because there are no expats here and in patters that aren't retired?

From Wiki, this is the definition of "expat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

There are plenty of foreigners working on Phuket, and in Pattaya, whether legally, or illegally.

It depends if you want to talk about "expats" in the true meaning of the word, or retirees, and then everyone in between, such as fly-in/fly-out (FIFO) oil and gas workers and miners, those that work for 6 months in their home country, and live here for 6 months of the year etc etc.

I can't comment on overall numbers re Phuket or Pattaya but I do see a big demand for Retirement extensions in Phuket and I believe it's the Baby Boomers (born 1945-1955) coming here. For example the Phuket Immigration Office opens at 8.30am, now closes at 10.30am (for applications) reopens at 1PM and closes at 2pm or 3.30pm, depending on the number of people waiting to be seen. I haven't seen anything like it for the past three years. It would be interesting to know if this is being repeated elsewhere in Thailand.

• Like 1

The sexpats with not much money are shifting to Laos and Cambodia where they can live better on their govt pensions

They wont be missed in Phuket or pattaya

Phuket is prefered by long term expats, those who can afford it of coarse and do not continually whinge about the cost of living here

• Like 2

The sexpats with not much money are shifting to Laos and Cambodia where they can live better on their govt pensions

Phuket is prefered by long term expats, those who can afford it of coarse and do not continually whinge about the cost of living here

I have a few friends that were long term expats on Phuket. Two of them had businesses here. They were all financially comfortable. They could afford to live here, and did so for years, but still moved to Pattaya. Some of them took long term Thai girlfriends with them, so I wouldn't call them "sexpats."

They all wish they had moved earlier.

Some of the reasons given to me when asked about their decision: Pattaya is in close proximity to Bangkok for Embassies, Airports, Hospitals, Shopping etc, close to nice islands for day trips or overnight stays, public transport (baht buses) everywhere in the city, greater variety of restaurants, more accommodation options, better customer service - across all industries, and more friendly Thai's.

Sure, they also mentioned it's a lot cheaper in Pattaya, but affordability was never their main motivation for leaving Phuket.

Interestingly, I asked their girlfirends, seperately, and in private, "Which one number one, Phuket or Pattaya?" The Thai girls all said "Pattaya" as well. When asked, "Why." The general reply was, "More easy."

I disagree that Phuket prices have pushed many expats to Laos and Cambodia - but I would agree it has pushed them to other places in Thailand. Other friends of mine have moved to Issan and Chiang Mai. I don't think it's just the prices alone that have caused the move.

One only has to look at what Phuket has become, and the direction it is heading.

Took you a long time to think of a answer,apart from embassies its all avaliable here and better

Depends where you girlfriend/partner/ wife comes from and their previous accupation

people who shift to issan do not like phuket or pattaya or bangkok but of the three prefer phuket

The genuine expats i have met anyway

Lots of sexpats are shifting to Laos and Cambodia, not many expats, not the ones who can afford

to live in phuket anyway, people who come from a east european country like Romania may think Phuket is expensive

Any Australian who thinks Phuket is expensive would have to be a loser in their home country or a dole bludger

• Like 1

I have a few friends that were long term expats on Phuket. Two of them had businesses here. They were all financially comfortable. They could afford to live here, and did so for years, but still moved to Pattaya. Some of them took long term Thai girlfriends with them, so I wouldn't call them "sexpats."

Some of the reasons given to me when asked about their decision: Pattaya is in close proximity to Bangkok for Embassies, Airports, Hospitals, Shopping etc, close to nice islands for day trips or overnight stays, public transport (baht buses) everywhere in the city, greater variety of restaurants, more accommodation options, better customer service - across all industries, and more friendly Thai's.

Sure, they also mentioned it's a lot cheaper in Pattaya, but affordability was never their main motivation for leaving Phuket.

Interestingly, I asked their girlfirends, seperately, and in private, "Which one number one, Phuket or Pattaya?" The Thai girls all said "Pattaya" as well. When asked, "Why." The general reply was, "More easy."

I disagree that Phuket prices have pushed many expats to Laos and Cambodia - but I would agree it has pushed them to other places in Thailand. Other friends of mine have moved to Issan and Chiang Mai. I don't think it's just the prices alone that have caused the move.

One only has to look at what Phuket has become, and the direction it is heading.

Took you a long time to think of a answer,apart from embassies its all avaliable here and better

Depends where you girlfriend/partner/ wife comes from and their previous accupation

people who shift to issan do not like phuket or pattaya or bangkok but of the three prefer phuket

Lots of sexpats are shifting to Laos and Cambodia, not many expats, not the ones who can afford

to live in phuket anyway, people who come from a east european country like Romania may think Phuket is expensive

Any Australian who thinks Phuket is expensive would have to be a loser in their home country or a dole bludger

Just wondering, how many times have you been to Pattaya, and how long have your stayed there, accumulatively?

Also, have you ever been to Laos and Cambodia?

Edited by NamKangMan

Just wondering, how many times have you been to Pattaya, and how long have your stayed there, accumulatively?

Also, have you ever been to Laos and Cambodia?

Pattaya once over 20 years ago, that was enough for me, went to chonburi to see the new grandchild recently but

we did not bother with pattaya seen enough of it on U tube and it has not improved, it started as a R&R town and still is

Recently had a holiday in Cambodia to see the temples, i doubt we will return there, seen what we want to and

the night life is of no interest to either of us

@nedkellylives

You've been to Pattaya once, and that was 20 years ago, and you know what it's like now from You Tube.

You had a holiday recently in Cambodia and saw some temples, and all the "sexpats" are moving there.

I won't even ask you about Laos - you have obviously never been there, but, all the "sexpats" are moving there as well, according to you.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"The genuine expats i have met anyway" - please give your definition of a "genuine expat?"

• Like 1

@nedkellylives

You've been to Pattaya once, and that was 20 years ago, and you know what it's like now from You Tube.

You had a holiday recently in Cambodia and saw some temples, and all the "sexpats" are moving there.

I won't even ask you about Laos - you have obviously never been there, but, all the "sexpats" are moving there as well, according to you.

"The genuine expats i have met anyway" - please give your definition of a "genuine expat?"

Took you a long time to think of that answer which is a load of rubbish as usual

You should not post on other topics, it gives you away coffee1.gif

You are no expat, genuine expats do no do visa runs whistling.gif

@nedkellylives

Took you a long time to think of that answer which is a load of rubbish as usual

I'm under 50 years of age, I have NO choice, and no, I don't work here, or even need to work here, AND, don't say I should be on a BS ed visa - not interested.

I've met a lot of guys lke you. "Phuket's the best" they say. "Where else have you been" I ask? "No where" is the usually reply. Just like you.

So quick to put Phuket on a pedestal, yet been no where else to compare Phuket against.

You are posting on a "Pattaya v Phuket" thread, and you haven't even been to Pattaya for 20 years, and base your comments on You Tube. :)

Whilst I do appreciate your honesty in answering my question, your comments can not be relied up. You are simply out of touch with the OP's question.

@nedkellylives

I'm under 50 years of age, I have NO choice, and no, I don't work here, or even need to work here, AND, don't say I should be on a BS ed visa - not interested.

I've met a lot of guys lke you. "Phuket's the best" they say. "Where else have you been" I ask? "No where" is the usually reply. Just like you.

So quick to put Phuket on a pedestal, yet been no where else to compare Phuket against.

You are posting on a "Pattaya v Phuket" thread, and you haven't even been to Pattaya for 20 years, and base your comments on You Tube. smile.png

Whilst I do appreciate your honesty in answering my question, your comments can not be relied up. You are simply out of touch with the OP's question.

Not being a sexpat there are a lot of places i would only go to once, including Pattaya and Cambodia

I have been to a lot of holiday destinations including africa which i have no reason to return to

Been to Egypt to but that was a long time ago and there are still things i would like to see there if things settle down

Really have no ambition to go to Laos, nothing i really want to see there

There are people with money who open a business here and employ Thai People so they do not have to do visa runs

Under 50 and retired, only in Thailand

Anyway i am closing down my computer now, it will give you plenty of time to think untill tommorow

@ nedkellylives

Not sure why you have consistantly thought I need "time" to reply. I drift online and offline - no set pattern.

Anyway, I have been to all the places you have mentioned, even lived and worked in a few of them for a while as well. Yes, sh*te holes, but good money. Maybe that's why I can live in Thailand, without working, and be under 50.

"There are people with money who open a business here and employ Thai People so they do not have to do visa runs" - from this comment, I gather you have a business here, which would explain the way in which you post.

Seriously, you were last in Pattaya 20 years ago - how can you be posting on this thread????

I urge you to read the thread heading again - "pattaya v phuket." Ask yourself this question, what do you know of Pattaya now, and how can you compare it to Phuket, given you haven't been there for 20 years.

nice guy .....im alright jack ,.....phuket has some top beaches but when you live somewhere you never seem to take advantage of things unless they are needed, pattaya is better for shopping and eating and bars and ppl,....phuket is is full of thieving southern thai greedy ba*tards IMO , dont trust em as far as i could throw em, happened to me and a few friends / guys i knew , from tuk tuks that cost you x 20 of patts , depends wot u want , live among the worst thailand has to offer in the way of ppl or a town of crappy beaches but cheaper food, accomadation, women and drink with better access to te rest of LOS , .... I thought phuket was a paradise until i saw how they dont give a shit about robbing farangs of their cash in any form , especially biz .

When people talk negatively about Pattaya, I always point out to them that for dining out it might be the best place in the world. Where else are so many restaurants of all different kinds concentrated in such a small area? You want to eat Norwegian or Argentinian or Mongolian, it's all there, and sometimes very good value. Unfair to judge the city only on the merits of its overabundance of nightlife.