Some questions before leaving for thailand

I have been accepted for a job in Chiang Mai but the school wants to work on the work permit once I'm there. So first I'm going to travel as a tourist using the the 30 days under the visa exemption rule.

Will I have any problems if I mention anything about work at immigration?

Why would you mention employment to the immigration people ?

Just mark "holiday" on the entry card as at that point without the proper visa and work permit telling them you are working will raise eyebrows and possibly an entry denial.

post-128-1105549730.jpg

Edited by Spoonman

Sorry for being such a newb. This will be my first time travelling to thailand. I'm just worried they might assume that I'll be there for work since I'll be bringing a ton of books and some musical instruments.

Sorry for being such a newb. This will be my first time travelling to thailand. I'm just worried they might assume that I'll be there for work since I'll be bringing a ton of books and some musical instruments.

Well tell the employer to supply you with the correct documentation and secure a non b visa before your arrival.

• Like 1

I'll be departing from the Philippines but I carry a european passport. I think they want to process the non b visa in thailand to save time since the school year is almost starting.

So basically I have to act like a tourist? I'm guessing an onward ticket to Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong will do?

I have another question. I'll be travelling with Filipino applicants as well My employer's secretary insists that we get an open return ticket. I think the reason for this is:

1. In case they don't like our performance during the 3 month probationary period, they can send us home anytime.

2. To make it easier for the Filipinos to get through immigration in the Philippines.

I really don't see the point of getting an open return ticket since an onward ticket to a neighbouring country will still be cheaper. Do you think the open return ticket that they insist on applies to me?

You need to get paperwork from the school and apply for a non-B visa with that. On a visa exempt entry you are not allow to work and will first need to apply for a work permit, go broad and apply for a non-B visa and then get a work permit. Making it more time consuming and more expensive.

With a non-B visa no proof of onward travel is required.

During your initial 90 days losing your job will not mean you have to leave the country.

Everyone who enters Thailand on a tourist visa must have a return or onward ticket.

That is not true.

So why is it then that airlines will not allow you to board flights to Thailand without one?

Because either they are mistaken (ask to see a supervisor), or you are referring to a 30 day visa exemption (not a Tourist Visa) for which an onward air ticket is required.

If you have any form of visa issued by a Thai consulate overseas on onward ticket is not required.

Everyone who enters Thailand on a tourist visa must have a return or onward ticket.

That is not true.

So why is it then that airlines will not allow you to board flights to Thailand without one?

The rule is that only without a visa (or a visa on arrival) you need proof of onward travel.

You are probably mistaken with a visa exempt entry, which means you do not have a visa and thus must have said proof. But with a tourist visa you have a visa and don't need proof of onward travel.

That is not true.

The rule is that only without a visa (or a visa on arrival) you need proof of onward travel.

You are probably mistaken with a visa exempt entry, which means you do not have a visa and thus must have said proof. But with a tourist visa you have a visa and don't need proof of onward travel.

Ah, I stand corrected, thanks for the explanation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I still don't understand why the secretary insists on getting an open return ticket. It's really expensive compared to an onward one.

Maybe the secretary really does not have a clue ?

Expect many problems associated with obtaining the correct paperwork to ensure a legal visa and work permit !

The warning signs are there !

• Like 1