Convert 15-day Visa Exempt Entry To Non-b?

My employer prefers to have the workers get a tourist visa, and then go to BKK with at least 21 days left on the tourist visa and convert it to a non-B. (I know, it would be easier just to get the non-B at a Thai embassy, but my employer is hopeless in that regard)

I heard from a BKK immigration official that you can get a 15-day visa exempt entry and, on the same day, go to BKK immigration and convert it to a non-B. Maybe it has to do with 15 + 7 day extension meets the 21 day requirement?

My workplace is near the Cambo border, so it would be a huge time saving for the workers to just make a border run, then travel up to BKK immigration the same day to convert to a non-B, as opposed to getting a tourist visa in Vientiane and then converting in BKK (a 4 day process with travel).

Any thoughts?

Today I was able to get a 15 day visa exempt entry at the Cambo border, go to immigration in Bangkok, and convert to a 3-month non-B. We had a number of workers do this, with a discrepancy between immigration officials as to whether you needed 10 or 12 days remaining on the entry visa for them to change to a non-B.