"red Snapper" In Thai?

listenup

How do I say Red Snapper, the fish I eat sometimes in Thai? I go to thai school and have a thai G/F but they haven't got a clue... Hopeing someone here can help me!

Thanks!

Small, delicate fresh-water fish, with fine red and white skin? Plaa Daeng (red fish) is what my GF calls it. Not really red snapper, but maybe that's the fish you're talking about.

Small, delicate fresh-water fish, with fine red and white skin? Plaa Daeng (red fish) is what my GF calls it. Not really red snapper, but maybe that's the fish you're talking about.

I'm not sure, have never seen the fish myself, I just order it in restaurants. Let's see what the others can suggest :o

The specific name of Red Snapper in Thai is ปลากระพงแดงเขี้ยว bplaa grà pong daeng kîeow

But if you want to buy it in the market or order it in the restuarant you can just say ปลากระพงแดง bplaa grà pong daeng

For all interested in Thai names of food related, there are about 1,000 sounds (Thai recordings) relating to food in "SpokenThai" program. Related categories:

1) Food items

2) Fruits and vegetables

3) Food and eating related

4) Restaurant related

5) Thai dishes

See the full list here: "SpokenThai"

The true red snapper (Lutjanus campechanus) doesn't occur in Thailand, only in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico near the Americas (hence the species tag campechanus, linked with the Mexican state of Campeche).

RedSnapper.jpg

Thailand's dept of fisheries names four kinds of ปลากระพง (I've added the English names):

1.3 ชื่อวิทยาศาสตร์ของปลากะพงแดง

- กะพงแดงเกล็ดห่าง : Lutjanus johnii (John's snapper)

- กะพงแดงข้างแถว : Lutjanus vitta (blackstriped snapper)

- กะพงแดงหน้าตั้ง : Lutjanus sebae (emperor snapper)

- กะพงแดงสั้นหางปาน : Lutjanus malabaricus (Malabar blood snapper)

In general these four might be lumped together as Pacific snapper, completely different flavour from Gulf/Atlantic snapper. In the States it's a common discussion point, and when a menu lists 'red snapper' customers will often ask if it's 'real' red snapper! Some restaurants may serve both, since both are available there.

A full list of Lutjanus species can be found at this site.

While googling around I came across this Thai site with the latest market prices for all kinds of fish traded in Thailand.

ํYoot I couldn't find mention of the variety you named, ปลากระพงแดงเขี้ยว, anywhere on the Web.

This may just make things more confusing, but the fish that my mother in law calls 'plaa kraphong daeng' is known as 'plaa thap thim' in most restaurants.

It is very possible mother in law confuses the two, but I thought I should mention it all the same.

I hear Thais calling animals by the wrong name all the time. For example, in Khao Sok a lot of the local guides call a Slow Loris a sloth... sorry, wrong continent. I've hear monitor lizards called Iguanas... wrong continent again.

There's a leaf that some Thais eat which they call coca leaf (source of concaine), but if I'm not mistaken the coca leaf (Erythroxylum coca) is indigenous to South America.

I'm not really surprised that they mislabel fish as well. This is not meant as a slam on Thais... this sort of thing happens everywhere.

Bla tup tim is the freshwater fish, red snapper (blah grapong daeng) is ocean water.

Another name for the ocean snapper is daeng keo (red fangs)

According to my husband the fishing fanatic :o

This may just make things more confusing, but the fish that my mother in law calls 'plaa kraphong daeng' is known as 'plaa thap thim' in most restaurants.

It is very possible mother in law confuses the two, but I thought I should mention it all the same.

I've seen 'plaa thap thim'for sale in resteraunts as "red snapper" but as SBK said they are two different species but do look very simular. I usually let the wife order "plaa kraphong" if we are eating it as I usually get it confused with "plaa ga bong" (tinned sardines) :o

Plaa thap thim - ปลาทับทิม - is Oreochromis niloticus, known in English as 'tilapia', and in Thailand it's usually farmed.

Back to ปลากระพง, the Thai term is used to refer to a few other fishes, aside from those generally thought of as 'snapper' (Pacific snapper). For example ปลากระพงขาว (plaa kraphong khao) is applied to barramundi and giant seaperch. Another is ปลากระพงแสม (plaa kraphong saem) = javelin, silver javelin, silver grunt - Pomadasys maculatum; Pomadasys kaakan, etc.

I think the 'daeng khiaw' แดงเขี้ยว name must be a colloquial term almost exclusively used by sportfishers/local fishermen as an alternative term for ปลากระพงแดง as it doesn't crop up on any Thai websites concerned with taxonomy, like www.fisheries.go.th. In general it seems that ปลากระพงแดง (or แดงเขี้ยว or ปลากระพงแดงแดงเขี้ยว) is used to refer to John's snapper.

My favorite Thai saltwater fishes for eating are ปลาอินทรี (plaa in, king mackerel), ปลาโอ (plaa oh, tuna), ปลากระบอก (plaa kra-bawk, mullet) and especially ปลาสำลี (plaa samlee, black-banded kingfish).

It's pretty clear to me now why the UN takes so long to do anything. DO they even sell the freakin' snapper here? Fish is fish! Oooooh, but nooo Red Snapper is soooo much better. I'll wait for the book. It's good name for a title. Where's that writer Moore?