Translation Service

swissie

Yes, available on every street corner, but usually limited to the translators ability to convey messages like "water-buffalo sick, need 200'000 Bht".smile.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Text to be translated from English to Thai or German to Thai (doesn't matter).

What I am looking for is an agency that features a Thai familiar with one of the above languages, in combination with a Farang employee, possessing good knowledge of the Thai language.

Why? I have found out, that without cross-reading and comparisons as far as language and cultural-understandings are concerned, the "translation" can be extremely far removed from the actual meaning of the text.

Just trying to avoid the " lost in translation-syndrome".

Anyone?

Cheers.

I've made very good experiences with the following company:

http://www2.tistranslation.com/en.html

They employ both multilingual Thais as well as foreigners. I used them to have all sorts of texts translated, including contracts and official documents, and the quality always has been excellent.

They are not as dirt cheap as the "'water buffalo sick" translators you mentioned, but their rates are very reasonable for the quality delivered; and peace of mind that the translation is accurate also is important.

Visa plus .Just after Immigration on the same side going from the beach did an excellent job for me 2 years ago

.I cannot remember the cost but I thought it reasonable as the documents were for the Thai Government.and passed ok.

If requested, the German Embassy will email a list of their approved translation services.

The problem with those embassy-approved translation services is that they fully exploit their status and charge a pretty penny; 1,000 - 1,500 Baht for a simple one-page document are common.

One should use them only to have official documents translated that then are to be submitted to the embassy for notarization. Otherwise give them a wide, wide berth.