Transfering $28,000 USD to my Bangkok Bank account

there is no such limits about transferring money into thailand

i have transferred up to 10 million per time a few times from european banks just by filling in a form

the main issue is transferring money back to the west ,if you decide to send it back it can be a tricky procedure

not impossible but certaintly more redtape than transferring money into the kingdom

As others have said no limit at the receiving Thai end. Where are you trying to send it from and how?

I know for figures above a break point (cannot remember what it is but not much) I have to agree in writing with my UK bank before they will send. Offshore account no issue but many banks have limits you can change.

From abroad?
From which country?

SWIFT or U.S. domestic ACH to Bangkok Bank via New York?

Should be no problem with limits using SWIFT.

With ACH as above, the U.S, bank will determine the per transaction limit and also the monthly cumulative limit. My limit used to be 2,000 per transaction and I don't know the monthly cumulative. Again, it depends on the U.S. bank.

Edited by Jingthing

Change your domestic (home) bank limits for your account (and tell them you're in Thailand).

I'd be careful with taking that suggestion globally and literally.

Depends on the bank and the country.

If this is a U.S. bank with a U.S. address, saying your residence is now Thailand can quite possibly result in account closure.

Change your domestic (home) bank limits for your account (and tell them you're in Thailand).

If this is a U.S. bank with a U.S. address, saying your residence is now Thailand can quite possibly result in account closure.

Do you have any factual information to back this up?

My UK bank sets a limit of 20,000 GBP a day for telephone instructions and 10,000GBP a day for internet instructions. Probably have to write to them to get approval to transfer more in one day.

Alternatively just make transfers every day until you get what you want.

Do you have any factual information to back this up?

Yes.

There have been reports here over the years.

I have made exploratory calls to U.S. banks saying what if I move abroad and have no U.S. address of record, and they said, we won't service you anymore then,

This is also a potential issue with any brokerage account of credit card account.

This is one of the issues the ACA has been working on for years.

Also note some U.S. banks will not do ACH transfers even if you have a foreign home address even if they keep it open! I read that detail personally on the U.S. account I used for ACH to BB.

Banking and the Patriot Act

There is NO provision in the Patriot Act which forbids banks from accepting clients who do not live in the US. However, US banks are looking at the increased diligence provisions in the Patriot Act and using these as an excuse to get rid of any clients who are too difficult to assess. Click here for guidelines to follow if you have problems.

ACA has recently learned (December 2011) that the US Treasury Department has offered to help ciitizens who have problems with account closures at US banks. If you are notified of account closure of an existing account by a US national bank (i.e. not a "local" bank), you can file a complaint with the Customer Assistance Group of the Treasury Dept. ( www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm ).

ACA as well as the Americans Abroad Caucus are very interested in getting feedback from people who use this process.

http://americansabroad.org/issues/banking/banking-and-the-patriot-act-update/

As a defense against these kind of problems, BEFORE I left the U.S. I opened more U.S. accounts than you can shake a stick at. So I've got backups up the wazoo. I would recommend that to a certain extent to new expats ... having just one U.S. account is just too risky, if they close it, it will be VERY HARD to open a new one if no longer a U.S. resident. But I overdid it, it is really hard to maintain so many accounts.

Edited by Jingthing

thank you everybody for input... i think i got this worked out. i just looked at Bank of America to Bangkok Bank transfer for $11,000 USD and the exchange rate was so poor there was a $550 difference between their quote and XE app quote for current Baht to USD. WOW...

thank you everybody for input... i think i got this worked out. i just looked at Bank of America to Bangkok Bank transfer for $11,000 USD and the exchange rate was so poor there was a $550 difference between their quote and XE app quote for current Baht to USD. WOW...

As a a cherished member might say, who buys from XE! Wow even more.

So you were never having problems transferring money but were concerned about the interest rates? Am I reading you correctly?

Did I say tell them you're resident in Thailand?

Which 99% of expats cannot be as they enter here on "Non-Immigrant" Visas or extensions thereof.

It is always wise to inform any Bank in any international country that you may be drawing from Thailand - or they may well block your account.

Which 99% of expats cannot be as they enter here on "Non-Immigrant" Visas or extensions thereof.

It is always wise to inform any Bank in any international country that you may be drawing from Thailand - or they may well block your account.

The US Treasury Department has offered to help citizens who have problems with account closures at US banks. If you are notified of account closure of an existing account by a US national bank (i.e. not a "local" bank), you can file a complaint with the Customer Assistance Group of the Treasury Dept. ( www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm ).

From JT's link.

No you didn't say you were a resident in Thailand.

But you didn't say you weren't either.

Can't read minds. coffee1.gif

No you didn't say you were a resident in Thailand.

But you didn't say you weren't either.

Can't read minds. coffee1.gif

And you obviously can't read posts either ...

OK. Never mind. There are people who are living in Thailand that might learn something regardless of your personal particulars.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Will always be the case.

To the one poster asking JT for examples of US banks threatening to close down account, I'm one of the examples. Two banks actually (Schwab and Capital One).

• Like 1

This post is another jumbled mess about banking between the US and Thailand. I know less now than I did before I read the post.sad.png

It's a moving target.

Maybe someone should write a book (and update it constantly).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This post is another jumbled mess about banking between the US and Thailand. I know less now than I did before I read the post.sad.png

There are no limits sending by SWIFT.

There may be limits for ACH transfers imposed by (your) home bank.

XE is not a valid yard stick to use when contemplating FOREX in a bank transfer.

The receiving banks Telegraphic Transfer (TT) rate should be the reference.

The general rule of thumb is to always transfer home currency and have the Thai receiving bank convert to Baht.