Thai heartthrobs exempted from annual military draft

webfact

I wonder what those real heartthrobs like James Stewart, Tyrone Power, Clark Gable and a host of others would make of these draught dodgers?

Nothing,they wouldn't have a clue as to who they were,what they done or what war they fought in.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of Elvis, but seems he could not buy his way out of it, not that he wanted to, but seems here one can..............blink.png

You're saying that on the basis of what evidence, no evidence whatsoever? Unusual for you to be so irrational.

MMarlow read transams post then google elvis,then you might be,only might be a tad more enlightened.Good luck on your education quest.

He added, "Although I cannot serve my country as a soldier, there are many other duties I can do to serve the country ... I will help our nation by being a good citizen, with good thoughts, good words, and good deeds."

wai2.gifwub.png

Which he read straight from the cue cards,Cut take 100.

I wonder what those real heartthrobs like James Stewart, Tyrone Power, Clark Gable and a host of others would make of these draught dodgers?

Stewart was never a heart throb, but he was an admirable man volunteering for service and risking his life. That era produced a lot of admirable guys like John Ford, David Niven, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Even Yoggi Berra landed on D day. No Thai boy beauty star has seen active service in the south in the past 25 years.

But they have in the bars of Pattaya.

smutcakes post # 6

I was told about one of the money making scams the army use for recruitment other than obviously being paid for drawing black cards, is that many of the recruits from poorer areas would prefer to sit at home on their assess for 2 years rather than have to do anything.

Basically once they are recruited, they are given an option of simply going home for a few years, when at the end of the two years they will be called back for the final 'graduation'. In the meantime the budget for training, foods, accommodations etc is obviously still paid to the various training centers, but only about 50% of those that are supposed to be training are actually their, meaning their is a huge surplus of cash for someone to take.

''You were told.''w00t.gif

Strangely enough in our local village and the surrounding villages in Amphur Sangkha Surin all those selected for military service have all done their two years term. They haven't stayed at home they've done what was expected of them. And I am talking of a personal knowledge family wise and friends wise too regarding the matter of a time span of some 22 + years.

Methinks smutcakes that your informant is something of a romantic regarding the notions he or she passes on to you.cheesy.gif

My friends brother was offered exactly as described. Called for national service and offered the choice to go home but that his service pay would not be paid to him but instead passed up the chain of command as it were.

Well I am not going to say that doesn't or does happen.

But assuming you could choose to go home I highly doubt they would explain the money to you. In fact I think they would just fill the position with some body else. It is not like there is a shortage of people at that age.

smutcakes post # 6

I was told about one of the money making scams the army use for recruitment other than obviously being paid for drawing black cards, is that many of the recruits from poorer areas would prefer to sit at home on their assess for 2 years rather than have to do anything.

Basically once they are recruited, they are given an option of simply going home for a few years, when at the end of the two years they will be called back for the final 'graduation'. In the meantime the budget for training, foods, accommodations etc is obviously still paid to the various training centers, but only about 50% of those that are supposed to be training are actually their, meaning their is a huge surplus of cash for someone to take.

Strangely enough in our local village and the surrounding villages in Amphur Sangkha Surin all those selected for military service have all done their two years term. They haven't stayed at home they've done what was expected of them. And I am talking of a personal knowledge family wise and friends wise too regarding the matter of a time span of some 22 + years.

Methinks smutcakes that your informant is something of a romantic regarding the notions he or she passes on to you.cheesy.gif

My friends brother was offered exactly as described. Called for national service and offered the choice to go home but that his service pay would not be paid to him but instead passed up the chain of command as it were.

But assuming you could choose to go home I highly doubt they would explain the money to you. In fact I think they would just fill the position with some body else. It is not like there is a shortage of people at that age.

It was explained to my friends brother exactly what was happening because he had to appear to be doing National Service when in fact nobody was there simply so his pay and whatever other benefits he would otherwise qualify for could be 'passed on'.

Can well believe that like the 'missing' escalators for the Skytrains...

smutcakes post # 6

The question is not, if there are scams like this. But for sure not the poor farmers will sit at home. facepalm.gif May think again!

If Elvis Presley can serve in the Army, (and I can guarantee he's was more popular than these so called 'heartthrobs' will ever be), then I'm sure its good enough for you. Serve your country, don't make excuses !

Personally I think the country would be much better served by a smaller but professional and better trained and eqipped service filled by volunteers rather than those unlucky enough to pick the 'wrong' ball.

• Like 1

smutcakes post # 6

talk about missing the point, the point is they don't want the person there, they just want people to think the person is there, and to pick up the cost allocation for that person.

Look at the thighs on that fella. That thing could beat the crap out of most farangs.

Anyway, so up here in Ubon, my friend says his unit could use some more people. If any of you folks want to volunteer for deployment down south, drop me a note and I'll pass it on when I see the boys later today.

I wonder if they drafted the fine figure of a man sitting at the nearside of the front row?

It might explain who so many go 'on the turn' as they approach the draft.

Edited by GuestHouse

smutcakes post # 6

My son drew a black card last week. If he had drawn a red card he would have gone in to the army for a period of a few weeks. Then he would have signed his monthly pay over to the officers and could then walk out of the camp. Common knowledge seemingly!

You sure you got Chuwit's son's "black card" right? It's the red card that you'll be required to get drafted. The black card, you won't.

I was lucky in my time to draw a black card. =)

Or you pay 30,000 Baht to the honourable duty conscious draft commisioner. Don't you just love it when you see the civil servants swearing loyalty to the king. This country is more show than substance

You sure you got Chuwit's son's "black card" right? It's the red card that you'll be required to get drafted. The black card, you won't.

I was lucky in my time to draw a black card. =)

Or you pay 30,000 Baht to the honourable duty conscious draft commisioner. Don't you just love it when you see the civil servants swearing loyalty to the king. This country is more show than substance

As amply demonstrated by all the medals they wear. Even little Pipe had more medals than the average American war hero.