2 Month Vacation, Girl Traveling Alone

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1397172019.984557.jpg

The attached photo is a warning about bag snatching. You now see these posted everywhere.

Thailand appears to be very safe but don't be fooled ! It is a very dangerous country and a small encounter can get out of hand very quickly and turn deadly.

Those saying not to worry are just lucky .... Given enough time their luck will run out if they are not careful. Be smart ! Be careful ! Stay safe !

For goodness sake go home maybe you'll feel safe there. I don't consider myself any more lucky than the next person and since my childhood have spent more than 35 years in the region, much of that in Thailand. For a traveller it is as safe as anywhere else to travel. Late at night I'd prefer to take my chances in Bangkok or Chiang Mai than in most cities in the US or Europe.

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government of Canada says:

"...when it comes to health and security, and how travellers are affected by the religious and cultural beliefs of the foreign countries they visit, there’s a huge difference between women and men. The truth is that women face greater obstacles, especially when travelling alone."

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publications/her-own-way

Re Thailand it says:

"...Break-ins occur at budget guesthouses, sometimes while guests are asleep in their rooms...

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/thailand

I think it is also good to keep in mind that home can be a very dangerous place. Many people each year get into accidents, even fatal ones, in the safety of their own home. Also violence occurs. So if you're at home know (especially a-l-o-n-e, my goodness...): leave. Now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think it is also good to keep in mind that home can be a very dangerous place. Many people each year get into accidents, even fatal ones, in the safety of their own home. Also violence occurs. So if you're at home know (especially a-l-o-n-e, my goodness...): leave. Now.

More sage advice from one who thinks:

Thailand is "no more 'dangerous' than any other place."

A third world country in political turmoil & a naive 19 YO teen travelling there alone for 2 months?

Fagetaboutit! Or bone up on the subject like your life depended on it. Cause it will.

Edited by oldthaihand99

A third world country in political turmoil & a naive 19 YO teen travelling there alone for 2 months?

Fagetaboutit! Or bone up on the subject like your life depended on it. Cause it will.

Get real. How many tourists, naive or otherwise been injured due to political turmoil ? Not even a tiny fraction of 1% of those who are sent home crippled or in body bags from riding motorcycles. More girls of her age getting pissed and falling of balconies in Ibiza. It is what you make it.

Get real. How many tourists, naive or otherwise been injured due to political turmoil ? Not even a tiny fraction of 1% of those who are sent home crippled or in body bags from riding motorcycles. More girls of her age getting pissed and falling of balconies in Ibiza. It is what you make it.

The combined widespread effects of political instability, the unsafe roads & incidents of farangs flying to their deaths off balconies in LOS barely scratches the surface of the dangers awaiting the OP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP. Google "couch surfing." A web community for travelers where you can hook up with fellow travelers AND locals for anything from a coffee and a chat to staying at their place a few nights. Lots of young females in Bangkok prepared to host as well as elsewhere in Thailand.

As for how much money you would need, there are so many variables. If you can eat mostly Thai food (much of it is spicy) and don't spend a lot on booze, it keeps cost down, as would staying with (verified) couch surfers at least some of the time. As a rough guide I would budget not less than £30 (about 1500 baht) a day + flight about £550. (assuming you are English - a location in your profile would be useful). Don't forget comprehensive travel insurance. (very important).

Train travel is safer and cheaper than long distance buses. Its also very interesting as you get to meet people. 2nd class fan or air con recommended. Overnight trains save a nights accommodation cost.

Always keep a bit of money separately from your purse so that if the worst happens and you lose it or have it stolen, you have enough money to get back to your room or onwards to your destination. Keep a spare ATM card separately also.

One poster mentioned a "home stay". This is excellent advice as you would very quickly learn some Thai language and culture.

If traveling with new friends, be sure to swap phone numbers straight away in case of unintentional separation.