From VGA To TV Using A Cable?

sirchai

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

I'd like to know if a cable from my notebook to an ordinary TV would be successful? So that would be a VGA adapter, on the other end three wires that go to the TV.

My Thai colleague has a newer Samsung notebook with HDMI and I tried a cable running from HDMI to an ordinary VGA projector.

All I want is to play my movies from my notebook on TV, without using a DVD player. Thanks in advance. wai2.gif

I got caught with this a couple of years ago. I thought the same. You actually need to convert the VGA signal to RCA.

Click on this link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VGA-to-AV-Composite-Converter-RCA-S-video-Signal-Adapter-Switch-Box-PC-to-TV-NEW-/351044068545?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item51bbdb64c1

I don't use it much these days because most of the TV's are new flat panels with HDMI ports and I use an Android TV stick.

You will also need a seperate sound 3.5mm plug cable to red and white RCA.

Click on this link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Plug-Male-To-2RCA-Stereo-Audio-Cable-AUX-for-iPod-/221079105033?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item3379576e09

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have a device similar to that proposed by KhunHeineken which I bought some years ago to address the same issue.

To be honest I never really got satisfactory results from it. Just how much of the poor viewing experience was down to the crappy TV and how much to the box I can't say, but it's now in the bottom of my 'assorted bits' box probably never to see light of day again.

I got caught with this a couple of years ago. I thought the same. You actually need to convert the VGA signal to RCA.

Click on this link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VGA-to-AV-Composite-Converter-RCA-S-video-Signal-Adapter-Switch-Box-PC-to-TV-NEW-/351044068545?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item51bbdb64c1

I don't use it much these days because most of the TV's are new flat panels with HDMI ports and I use an Android TV stick.

You will also need a seperate sound 3.5mm plug cable to red and white RCA.

Click on this link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Plug-Male-To-2RCA-Stereo-Audio-Cable-AUX-for-iPod-/221079105033?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item3379576e09

Hope this helps.

What bugs me us that our Thai teacher's newer notebook with an HDMI connection is pretty easy to connect it to an older VGA projector without problems.

This box is really a pain in the bud.

Edited by lostinisaan

Depends on what an "ordinary TV" is and what input options it has.

An ordinary TV is similar to an ordinary girl. Nothing special. An old TV with a coax cable connection, two three plug connectors for a yellow, white and a red cable.

I bought that cable you can see on my second post, tried but it's not working.

Won't go that way to use the box, as someone had suggested, what a pain in the bud. Once you try that, you're better off to stop watching TV.

Okay, another lesson learnt. Finally found my way to have Kasp for 377 days. Yin and Yang.-coffee1.gif .

Edited by sirchai

I've done this before successfully..laptop VGA to television RCA inputs.

First, you need a computer or laptop that has a VGA port and supports sending a Video Out signal.

Then, just having converter cables or adapters won't work. You do need an adapter box that specifically converts the VGA video out signal into one acceptable for the TV's RCA inputs. The boxes made for that purpose usually require an AC power input and come with the necessary cables.

The resulting picture quality on the TV, in my experience, isn't great. But it is OK, and it beats having nothing at all.

Next time, get a laptop with an HMDI video out jack, and it will play nice with an HDMI TV input without any fuss.

Here's some examples of the kind of thing you'd need:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10/192-6854021-4628558?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vga%20to%20rca%20converter%20box&sprefix=VGA+to+RCA%2Caps%2C541

or you can Google "VGA to RCA converter box".

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I've done this before successfully..laptop VGA to television RCA inputs.

First, you need a computer or laptop that has a VGA port and supports sending a Video Out signal.

Then, just having converter cables or adapters won't work. You do need an adapter box that specifically converts the VGA video out signal into one acceptable for the TV's RCA inputs. The boxes made for that purpose usually require an AC power input and come with the necessary cables.

The resulting picture quality on the TV, in my experience, isn't great. But it is OK, and it beats having nothing at all.

Next time, get a laptop with an HMDI video out jack, and it will play nice with an HDMI TV input without any fuss.

Here's some examples of the kind of thing you'd need:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10/192-6854021-4628558?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vga%20to%20rca%20converter%20box&sprefix=VGA+to+RCA%2Caps%2C541

or you can Google "VGA to RCA converter box".

Thanks a lot, was there before and won't touch it again. If Buddha makes it happen that I'll get a long needed pay raise, I'll buy a TV with a USB connection.

It's just to watch movies with my family and the joke is that they prefer Thai soap operas to a good new movie. I give up.-facepalm.gif

An ordinary TV is similar to an ordinary girl. Nothing special. An old TV with a coax cable connection, two three plug connectors for a yellow, white and a red cable.

Won't go that way to use the box, as someone had suggested, what a pain in the bud. Once you try that, you're better off to stop watching TV.

Okay, another lesson learnt. Finally found my way to have Kasp for 377 days. Yin and Yang.-coffee1.gif .

The converter box worked fine for me. Many of the older TV's have RCA plugs in the front. No need to get in behind the TV, so easy to hook up.

They are cheap enough and small. About the size of a cigarette packet.

It'll do the job for you.

The converter box worked fine for me. Many of the older TV's have RCA plugs in the front. No need to get in behind the TV, so easy to hook up.

They are cheap enough and small. About the size of a cigarette packet.

It'll do the job for you.

I think I've got one in my house on campus. But I'll never touch that thing again. The quality sucks, the set up is a joke and always connect and disconnect makes it to a joke. If it's constantly installed, maybe okay. Maybe. Thanks.-facepalm.gif