The 1000 Baht Pizza Is Here...Are You Lov'in It

OMGImInPattaya

coffee1.gif Spam, really.

That's a novel idea but I guess Spam pizza is a bit downmarket for a chic seaside resort. whistling.gif

Ah well, posted before I read all the replies.

Spam is almost a staple in Hawaii and other pacific islands: Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, etc, etc. You ain't seen a fat person till you've seen a fat Hawaiian at an all-you-can eat breakfast buffet in downtown Las Vegas. Spam + everything else. Good fried with eggs fried in the Spam fat - plus baked beans, of course. Beats foie gras any day!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, anyone who is happy to pay 80B for water in Dicey Reilly's would probably be happy to be similarly ripped-off by a 1000B pizza too.

Personally I wouldn't pay either price anywhere in the world and especially not here. There are too many better cheaper places to go to.

Fly in from Paris or London, stay at the Marriott, eat at Dicy Oreilly.

It's not expensive for some people.

I doubt their target demographic is the cheap charlie that brings in his own drinking water.

I disagree. I think that nearly everyone on the planet would consider that 1000B for a pizza is quite expensive. Whether it is an expense they care to make is up to them, of course, but I suspect that most people buying a foie gras pizza for 1000B will in fact be Philistines out to prove a point of oneupmanship rather than gastronomes out for a good meal. And I'm willing to bet that not one person in the whole world will ever fly from London or Paris (or indeed anywhere else) just to eat at Dicey Reilly's.

Dicey Reilly's is not the world-class gastronomic delight that it might fancy itself to be. It is a second-rate theme pub that is often empty, and many of its top-notch customers do indeed take their own water to avoid paying the absurdly high 80B charge for water. I've seen them with my own eyes, and I dont think they just got off the plane from anywhere (maybe the Bahtbus).

Personally for my 1000B I would rather go the Montien seafood buffet on Saturday evening, which also provides free water. Or if I wanted foie gras (which I dont actually like) I would go the Royal Cliff instead and pay a couple of hundred Baht more, and still get free water, or the Hilton on Sunday or the Amari on the same day. Those places are worth spending such money on and they also have a modicum of class, which Dicey Reilly's will probably never have.

Edited by KittenKong

Well, anyone who is happy to pay 80B for water in Dicey Reilly's would probably be happy to be similarly ripped-off by a 1000B pizza too.

Personally I wouldn't pay either price anywhere in the world and especially not here. There are too many better cheaper places to go to.

Fly in from Paris or London, stay at the Marriott, eat at Dicy Oreilly.

It's not expensive for some people.

I doubt their target demographic is the cheap charlie that brings in his own drinking water.

I disagree. I think that nearly everyone on the planet would consider that 1000B for a pizza is quite expensive. Whether it is an expense they care to make is up to them, of course, but I suspect that most people buying a foie gras pizza for 1000B will in fact be Philistines out to prove a point of oneupmanship rather than gastronomes out for a good meal. And I'm willing to bet that not one person in the whole world will ever fly from London or Paris (or indeed anywhere else) just to eat at Dicey Reilly's.

Dicey Reilly's is not the world-class gastronomic delight that it might fancy itself to be. It is a second-rate theme pub that is often empty, and many of its top-notch customers do indeed take their own water to avoid paying the absurdly high 80B charge for water. I've seen them with my own eyes, and I dont think they just got off the plane from anywhere (maybe the Bahtbus).

Personally for my 1000B I would rather go the Montien seafood buffet on Saturday evening, which also provides free water. Or if I wanted foie gras (which I dont actually like) I would go the Royal Cliff instead and pay a couple of hundred Baht more, and still get free water, or the Hilton on Sunday or the Amari on the same day. Those places are worth spending such money on and they also have a modicum of class, which Dicey Reilly's will probably never have.

Many of their "top-notch" customers smuggle in drinking water?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

1,000Baht pizza is expensive..... if it doesn't have foie gras, porcini shrooms, white truffle, parma-cheese, baked by a real Italian chef and served in a big expensive air conditioned building.

There is probably more profit in a margarita pizza (cooked by some nose picking Thai teenager in a sweltering shophouse.)

Enjoy.

Many of their "top-notch" customers smuggle in drinking water?

Indeed. I've seen them do it and to save 80B a small bottle I'm not surprised that they do. Why not go and look for yourself?

There is probably more profit in a margarita pizza (cooked by some nose picking Thai teenager in a sweltering shophouse.)

I doubt it.

I thank I the OP for emphasizing that the "Pattaya Pizza" is made with cheese and not with something else... Very reassuring....

Having lived in Italy and enjoyed some decent food over there, I cannot recall that a good pizza was ever loaded with a broad selection of expensive ingredients. I like the porcini (fresh - not the frozen ones) and there was no need for many other items. Really curious where that Italian chef learned his trade. In the US?

Since the selfless OP felt compelled to do some advertizing, well, I will drop by an Italian baker who does it Italian stile. The best ever? 1000 Lire (in the old days) on the street in Napoli in the old Greek quarter. Unbeatable taste and quality, fresh, professional, no talk - straight food.

I thank I the OP for emphasizing that the "Pattaya Pizza" is made with cheese and not with something else... Very reassuring....

Having lived in Italy and enjoyed some decent food over there, I cannot recall that a good pizza was ever loaded with a broad selection of expensive ingredients. I like the porcini (fresh - not the frozen ones) and there was no need for many other items. Really curious where that Italian chef learned his trade. In the US?

Since the selfless OP felt compelled to do some advertizing, well, I will drop by an Italian baker who does it Italian stile. The best ever? 1000 Lire (in the old days) on the street in Napoli in the old Greek quarter. Unbeatable taste and quality, fresh, professional, no talk - straight food.

You could pop in and ask him, his name is Andrea Brunello.

Indeed. I've seen them do it and to save 80B a small bottle I'm not surprised that they do. Why not go and look for yourself?

I doubt it.

The foie gras crowd is smuggling in drinking water?

I don't need to go look. I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Somchai still sells his noodles for 30 baht a dish with free water, 2nd road, 3rd Road and just about everywhere....so can still be an inexpensive place if one looks...baffles me why people fly half way round the world just to eat what they normally would at home.

Some of us flew half way around the world to come here a long time ago. Many of us actually live here and have not flown half way round the world to eat what we get at home. People live in a variety of places and want a varied selection. It absolutely baffles me why people can not grasp this.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

paying a thousand baht for unhealthy, crappy western food? no thanks

sticking with the healthier vegetables and fruits thailand has to offer. eat locally. cheaper and healthier

If you wash and cook the vegetables yourself - maybe. Otherwise eating Thai food fried in copious amounts a old palm oil, dosed liberally with massive amounts of salt and sugar, containing unwashed vegetables and questionable meat, I doubt it.

Hey you forgot to slather it all in way too much MSG.

The foie gras crowd is smuggling in drinking water?

I don't need to go look. I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Apparently the irony of calling Dicey Reilly's customers "top-notch" is not clear. Never mind.

• Like 1

I hate when Western restaurants in Thailand try to get fancy with "gourmet" offerings. Very few of them can even get the basics right. I have never found a really good pizza anywhere in Thailand, although, IMO, the Duke's in Chiang Mai comes closest.

try my home made . . we have a pizza oven "Napoli" in Ferrari red ! It has a stone bottom and makes astone oven style pizza within 5 minutes, at the requested 420 degrees heat.

pizza . .it's all about the qualitiy of the toppings, and that's where the good is parted from the bad . . and the cheese, it matters a lot if you have to use Mozarella dried chipped cheese, or a block of fresh, white Mozarella.

making a decent pizza dough is at the verge of being a secret. All those receipes you can dig from the internet are lacking Mom's secret.

It only took me one flight to bring the oven into Thailand . . . costs a 150 Euros in Europe. 1200 Watts , can run it in the village without fearing to cause a blackout.

regarding your negative results in finding adequate pizze in Thailand . . .try CASA MIA in Hua Hin . . . my favourite, AFTER MY HOMEMADE, of course!

"awesome" prices . .for me start at 250 THB per pizza . . . anything over 400 THb is a ripoff, even when they claim using white truffles . . I say, claim , well because the taste can be had from a cheap chemical component as well . . . .

Edited by crazygreg44

Ive been buying my Pizza at Ballita's in Laem Chabang. simply amazing (thin crust) pizza's for an awesome price.

Well worth the drive.

No need to go so far next time. There's a Balilla's Pizza on Soi Chaiyapreuk, Jomtien; it's simply not bad.

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

• Like 2

Ive been buying my Pizza at Ballita's in Laem Chabang. simply amazing (thin crust) pizza's for an awesome price.

Well worth the drive.

No need to go so far next time. There's a Balilla's Pizza on Soi Chaiyapreuk, Jomtien; it's simply not bad.

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

To be honest it is quicker for me to drive to Laem Chabang than to the brightside of Pattaya.

Well worth the drive.

And the awesome price is how much?

8167815_orig.jpg

Pizza looks good and the prices are right...why have I not heard of this place before? Look forward to giving it a try.

• Like 1

Quick, throw some carbonated water on that there pizza, the char is on FIRE!

Those hints of carbonated protein starch on the crust definitely add a good flavor note to any pizza IMO

Sure thing. I'd never heard the char on the crust called that before though and found it funny.

Quick, throw some carbonated water on that there pizza, the char is on FIRE!

Those hints of carbonated protein starch on the crust definitely add a good flavor note to any pizza IMO

Sure thing. I'd never heard the char on the crust called that before though and found it funny.

Maybe "carbonized" is the more proper term. I didn't know there was a culinary term, "char," for this extreme caramelization of the dough's sugars. In any case, I do like hints of char on both the crust and the bottoms of my pizza :)