i'm going to stop complaining about villa market

stevehaigh

Try pricing Australian lamb in Australia!

Frenched (trimmed) lamb cutlets about 1,220 baht a kilo in Australian Woolworths supermarkets and about 780 Baht a kilo in Makro Pattaya (chilled not frozen).

How does that work???

Lamb from Villa. It may be Aussie or NZ but age and quality I think are vastly different to the country of origin.

eg. Bought my lamb cutlets from Villa. All packed nicely. Use by date in about 8 months. Remove from its wrapped packaging and tray.

Wo behold there is the original use by date sticker on a label on the lamb. 12 months previous.

Yep I ate them.

I worked with a guy who was the factory manager for a seafood company in Vietnam. According to him when the product reached its use by date they were shipped back, repackaged with a new use by date and sold on. Makes you think how many years a product has actually been out in the world since it was originally produced.

Buy your lamb from Makro if you have a shop near you

About half the price of villa mart, and they have a good turnover

Makro Rawai had almost run out of lamb 2 weeks ago now have new stocks

Weetbix and Weet-a-bix are very different animals.

I was brought up on Weet-a-bix, had it for breakfast pretty much every day from being on solid food to early twenties. When we moved to Aus, I bought Weetbix thinking it was the same, and I couldn't eat it. Texture and taste is totally different. After a while I tried again and gradually got used to it. When we go back to England now, I don't like Weet-a-bix any more and prefer Weetbix.

I am not a connoisseur of many things, but Weetbix is one of them.

I've noticed in recent years the steady rise of prices when I go back to Australia. In the last 3 years in particular, basic staples in the supermarket have risen a lot more than I imagined they could.

Being proud of the origins of Weetabix - that's the weirdest thing I have read the whole morning. People are funny. Thanks.

Yes, that means Weetabix and the revolving washing line are Australia's contributions to the world of invention ;)

• Like 2

I'd never heard of turkey bacon in Australia.

I assume it to be an American delicacy like grits.

For me bacon can only be made from pig.

You are totally correct. Bacon comes from the belly of a pig. Anything else is simply not bacon, and should not be allowed to market itself as such.

Villa market is way over priced for veggies and fruits by as much as 30%. Home Fresh is about 20% less. Example Head of Iceburg Lettace. 110 Baht at Villa Market. At Homefresh the same head is 85.00 baht. And from a local street vender is is 40 baht for the same head of lettuce..

And believe it or not the vendor on the street still makes money. So on a lot of things Villa is way more expensive but you pay for the convenience.

The price of wine and cheese is ridiculous here. Of course, it's to protect the famous Thailand wine industry. cheesy.gif

Even a bottle of cheap and nasty Jacob's Creek red wine which sells for only $6.80AUD in Australia (about 200 baht) I see in Big C here for around 895 baht and around 1500 baht in a restaurant.

The below link is from one of Australia's largest alcohol retailers.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_910632/jacob-s-creek-cabernet-sauvignon

The below link has Big C selling it for 665 baht from their online store. I've never used their online store, it's dearer in the shop. Even online, it's still over three times the cost. Who drinks Thai wine anyway?

http://shoppingonline.bigc.co.th/food-beverages/wine-beer-and-spirits/jacob-s-creek-cab-75-cl.html?___store=default&___from_store=mainstore_thai

I have been told by reliable sources that the import duty on wine is 460 percent, which makes it the highest in the world. All this is being done to protect a nearly non existent Thai wine industry. The reality is, that if Thailand imposed a responsible import duty of 100% instead, there would be a vibrant, multi billion dollar a year wine industry here, with wine tastings, classes, forums, shops, and huge wine lists at many fine restaurants. Instead, a ridiculously corrupt and blind senator wrote that bill, got it passed, and robbed his country of billions of dollars of income from potential duty. Talk about not being able to see the forest beyond the trees. The lack of vision with regards to wine import policy here is staggering. Blind. Dumb. Silly. Non visionary. Bad for tourism. Shall I go on?

I am not familiar with with the import tax percentage you have quoted, but I would not be surprised if it was accurate.

The Thai way seems to be rip someone off, in the short term, rather than reasonably price a product and use the lower profit per item, but higher turn over of the product, therefore equal, if not more profit, model.

Such a strange policy when wine is a quickly consumed product, unlke a TV or computer, for example.

Thailand is sitting on an untapped market of wine drinkers, but they are too near sighted and greedy to open the market up.

Being proud of the origins of Weetabix - that's the weirdest thing I have read the whole morning. People are funny. Thanks.

Yes, that means Weetabix and the revolving washing line are Australia's contributions to the world of invention wink.png

Boomerang

Woomera

Didgeridoo

VitaBrits

Victa

Sarich engine

Permodrive hydraulic hybrid

Stump Jump plough

Machine shears

Vege

Siroset

Fridge

Electric drill

Coolgardie safe

& 1 or 2 others -

Yes, that means Weetabix and the revolving washing line are Australia's contributions to the world of invention wink.png

Boomerang

Woomera

Didgeridoo

VitaBrits

Victa

Sarich engine

Stump Jump plough

Machine shears

Vege

Siroset

Fridge

Electric drill

Coolgardie safe

& 1 or 2 others -

You missed the most important.

Wifi that the world enjoys today is an Australian invention.

Boomerang

Woomera

Didgeridoo

VitaBrits

Victa

Sarich engine

Stump Jump plough

Machine shears

Vege

Siroset

Fridge

Electric drill

Coolgardie safe

& 1 or 2 others -

You missed the most important.

Wifi that the world enjoys today is an Australian invention.

The black box.

• Like 1

In Villa Market Chalong, overripe mangoes - 145 baht per kilo.

In the local market, exact same overripe mangoes - 50 baht per kilo, 70-80 if they are less ripe and will last a few days at home.

Also check the expiration dates on anything you buy at VIlla. Just yesterday I found sausages for sale that were 2 days past the latest expiration date. No doubt they are still there today.

Turkey bacon is an abomination and a crime against nature.

And not eaten by Aussies so not in shops

And what is wheetabix, try wheetbix sold in every supermarket there and also at villa mart here at 4 times the price

Dunno about Villa Mart , but at the Big C in Kamala , a small pack ( a 'brick')of Weetbix is 106 baht . Not bad ...

How much is it in Aus?

I'd never heard of turkey bacon in Australia.

I assume it to be an American delicacy like grits.

For me bacon can only be made from pig.

I just made 2 kg of German style (so it says in the recipe) bacon and then smoked it over mesquite wood chips for 4 hours.

It smells and tastes yummy.