How dare you....

whatchamacallit

I was at Tuckom over the weekend and went to the KrungSri money changer to buy US$. The girl behind the counter was busy (working/playing?) with her tablet and was obviously not paying attention to anyone (potential customer) standing in front of her. So I knocked on the glass partition - she looked at me pissed off with the look of "how dare you...." and said "What you want!!!". I told her if I can buy US$ - looking annoyed she replied "CANNOT" and then returned her attention directly to her personal tablet.

What ever happened to the Land of Smile?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lady was doing what Thais often do, not taking the job too seriously. It's a culture with a limited regard for the ol' work ethic.

On the other hand, she's been dealing with idiot disrespectful farangs day after day, for her meager salary in a boring job. Not all farangs, but a few go a long way. By this time she's got some pent-up hostility.

And she was reacting to your knocking on the window. She thought that was rather rude (I can understand that you didn't) and responded in kind. Maybe other farangs have been doing it (understandably, from their point of view) and it's gotten too annoying. You'd argue that if it's annoying then she should be always paying attention. But Thais don't think that way and tend not to change course. Gotta do things their way (however illogical etc.) if you want a positive, pleasant interaction. You're the foreigner.

If (to her pleasant surprise, no doubt) you'd smiled and gave a polite, friendly Sawatdee krab and then waited expectantly and quietly, I think you'd have had quite a different response. That's how you start off an interaction with Thais. That's what I always do and I never have a problem (since I learned what to do). In fact I even managed to charm the dreaded dragon ladies at TOT, normally disgusted with farangs, using the same with some added joking around in Thai--and got my B3000 telephone deposit out of them. One of 'em even gave me a nice personal call when it was ready!

Try it.

Yes, we should make the effort to meet them halfway. It's their country and culture after all.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is becoming more common in Thailand. I have seen it happening ever so much in the last ten years. It's a shame.

Plenty of Thais were rude to me when they were indisposed about doing something several decades ago. There is nothing new about it.

• Like 1

Lady was doing what Thais often do, not taking the job too seriously. It's a culture with a limited regard for the ol' work ethic.

On the other hand, she's been dealing with idiot disrespectful farangs day after day, for her meager salary in a boring job. Not all farangs, but a few go a long way. By this time she's got some pent-up hostility.

And she was reacting to your knocking on the window. She thought that was rather rude (I can understand that you didn't) and responded in kind. Maybe other farangs have been doing it (understandably, from their point of view) and it's gotten too annoying. You'd argue that if it's annoying then she should be always paying attention. But Thais don't think that way and tend not to change course. Gotta do things their way (however illogical etc.) if you want a positive, pleasant interaction. You're the foreigner.

If (to her pleasant surprise, no doubt) you'd smiled and gave a polite, friendly Sawatdee krab and then waited expectantly and quietly, I think you'd have had quite a different response. That's how you start off an interaction with Thais. That's what I always do and I never have a problem (since I learned what to do). In fact I even managed to charm the dreaded dragon ladies at TOT, normally disgusted with farangs, using the same with some added joking around in Thai--and got my B3000 telephone deposit out of them. One of 'em even gave me a nice personal call when it was ready!

Try it.

Why did you have to pay a deposit?

I have TOT phone and net and did not pay a deposit.

Also the account is in my name not my wife's.

Please explain the cultural aspect on this - I just don't get it.

Explained to you already. Expect similar negative experiences until you finally do get it through your thick skull.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Explained to you already. Expect similar negative experiences until you finally do get it through your thick skull.

Playing with your tablet doing personal stuff while working is wrong in any culture!!!!! Duh...

• Like 1

Try it.

Wait a minute, She should be doing her job, not playing with her tablet... wake up!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Playing with your tablet doing personal stuff while working is wrong in any culture!!!!! Duh...

Gotta stop worrying about what's wrong and instead worry about what's going to work best to get you want you want ASAP. Moral superiority and self-righteousness aren't going to get you anywhere.

Next.

I have the perfect solution on how to get treated 'nicely' by Thai staff anywhere. If all the Bigoted, Nincompoops who are so Anti-Thai where to go back home - if the family want them - and leave Thailand to the Thais and the many nice Farangs the Smiles would return PDQ I have personally seen Farangs acting in a way that made me ashamed of being one.

• Like 1

Gotta stop worrying about what's wrong and instead worry about what's going to work best to get you want you want ASAP. Moral superiority and self-righteousness aren't going to get you anywhere.

Next.

Not worry at all. Lack of common courtesy is not due to culture - it's due to attitude. Nuff said on this subject. Got nothing to do with moral superiority or self-righteousness - never said I was better than anybody just made an observation. But you seem to be hung up on something and I dont really care what that is.

Lack of common courtesy

Which, I explained, may have been perceived by her first on your part when you knocked on the window. Start with a smile and a polite, friendly Sawatdee krab! Repeat if necessary. Did you do that? No.

Courtesy is relative, not absolute as determined by yourself. Thai culture readily accepts not paying close attention to work and instead playing with one's phone, checking the critical Facebook page, putting on makeup, etc. And *kee giat (laziness) is a readily understandable excuse. Certainly most Thais would understand a reluctance to deal w/ rude, stupid farangs of which Pattaya has an excess. International companies or businesses that critically depend on *farang customers work hard on overcoming this cultural trait and it shows, e. g., Starbucks.

is not due to culture - it's due to attitude.

But attitude is partly determined by culture (including your own), as I explained, and can't be considered in isolation from it. You're not yet making progress.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

A couple of years ago I was at Bungrumrad hospital in Bangkok, arguably the most well-run private hospital in Thailand, and the central counter area in the cardiac dept was absolutely manic - teeming with patients wanting this and that. I fought my way to the front and noticed that one of the nurse 'receptionists' had a Facebook account up on her computer screen and was playing with it, seemingly completely oblivious of all the waiting customers.

While being dealt with by another girl I kept staring at the girl with the Facebook screen and she eventually saw me and switched it off. As I was walking away, I turned around and there it was - Facebook back up again!

Wherever you go in this world, you will encounter staff with good, helpful attitudes and others that take the piss. The number who take the piss is entirely down to the business's management, who should be on top of such things. If staff could get away with doing such things in the west, they would do it, but the fear of loosing their jobs keeps most on their toes. A good manager will soon stamp out staff with bad attitudes, but like many things in Thailand, management is a very hit and miss affair - they often are employed based on 'who they know' rather than their ability to do the job. Nepotism and crony-ism is still rife in many Thai businesses.

This is slowly changing and some companies/businesses and even some government departments (e.g. the excellent driving/vehicle centre in Pattaya) are extremely well run. Others are still stuck in the stone age as far as management and staff attitudes are concerned.

The trick is to not get too worked up about it as there is nothing you - as a farang - can do to change it and if it really upsets you, go somewhere else where you will receive better service. Getting angry only plays into their hands.

• Like 2

Squashed into a small booth all day in a crowded and unpleasant atmosphere, dealing with gruff and malodorous and sweaty and vile tourists who demand your full and instant attention at the snap of the fingers - ok, she should accept her situation and realise she's in the service industry, but I can understand why she would be somewhat prickly under the circumstances outlined by the OP. Still, like JSixpack (you sweet talker, you), the answer can be found in your own attitude - you can disarm anyone, especially Thais, if you show them you can't be rattled and smile.

Anyway, she might have just dealt with a rude Russian, and probably genuinely didn't have US money.

Regards,

Wit - world renowned charmer.

At TOT (one of many examples) I was at first TOTALLY ignored by an entire roomful of ladies. Not all of them were by any means busy. Nobody wanted to help. Could have stood there all day. But did I want my B3000 or not? Finally I went to one cubicle and gave the smile and Sawatdee krab and a little bow and a Chuay pom dai mai, krab? (Can you help me?) in a pitiful voice. Worked like a charm. Lady ran around for me and took me to the right place and it all went well from there.

Edited by JSixpack

Squashed into a small booth all day in a crowded and unpleasant atmosphere, dealing with gruff and malodorous and sweaty and vile tourists who demand your full and instant attention at the snap of the fingers - ok, she should accept her situation and realise she's in the service industry, but I can understand why she would be somewhat prickly under the circumstances outlined by the OP. Still, like JSixpack (you sweet talker, you), the answer can be found in your own attitude - you can disarm anyone, especially Thais, if you show them you can't be rattled and smile.

Anyway, she might have just dealt with a rude Russian, and probably genuinely didn't have US money.

Regards,

At TOT (one of many examples) I was at first TOTALLY ignored by an entire roomful of ladies. Not all of them were by any means busy. Nobody wanted to help. Could have stood there all day. But did I want my B3000 or not? Finally I went to one cubicle and gave the smile and Sawatdee krab and a little bow and a Chuay pom dai mai, krab? (Can you help me?) in a pitiful voice. Worked like a charm. Lady ran around for me and took me to the right place and it all went well from there.

Just re-read what you just wrote - I can see being polite, that's what I was brought up. BUT acting pitiful to try to get somebody to do their job seems absurd. I seem to be hearing a lot of excuses for unprofessional and rude behavior.

Regards,

The guy goes around giving wais and groveling to Thai staff.

What a fool.

But he got served, left a contented man and probably had a very nice day, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Regards,

The guy goes around giving wais and groveling to Thai staff.

What a fool.

But he got served, left a contented man and probably had a very nice day, thank you very much.

with no dignity left :-)

• Like 1