How dare you....

whatchamacallit

What I miss in this discussion is that nobody pointed out the difference yet between Pattaya Thais and other, "normal" Thais.

In the provinces with no or little Farang exposure the locals are as nice and polite as they have ever been. I go a lot in - between small - town northern Thailand and Pattaya.... it's as if you are in a different world.

And by the way, many up - country Thais also consider Pattaya Thais impolite!

The vast majority of the Pattaya Thais are those "normal" upcountry Thais working here in Paradise by the sea. Notice how deserted the city seems as the worker bees have returned to their village nest for this long holiday.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lady was doing what Thais often do, not taking the job too seriously. It's a culture with a limited regard for the ol' work ethic.

On the other hand, she's been dealing with idiot disrespectful farangs day after day, for her meager salary in a boring job. Not all farangs, but a few go a long way. By this time she's got some pent-up hostility.

And she was reacting to your knocking on the window. She thought that was rather rude (I can understand that you didn't) and responded in kind. Maybe other farangs have been doing it (understandably, from their point of view) and it's gotten too annoying. You'd argue that if it's annoying then she should be always paying attention. But Thais don't think that way and tend not to change course. Gotta do things their way (however illogical etc.) if you want a positive, pleasant interaction. You're the foreigner.

If (to her pleasant surprise, no doubt) you'd smiled and gave a polite, friendly Sawatdee krab and then waited expectantly and quietly, I think you'd have had quite a different response. That's how you start off an interaction with Thais. That's what I always do and I never have a problem (since I learned what to do). In fact I even managed to charm the dreaded dragon ladies at TOT, normally disgusted with farangs, using the same with some added joking around in Thai--and got my B3000 telephone deposit out of them. One of 'em even gave me a nice personal call when it was ready!

Try it.

So you bowed and kowtowed like step and fetch it just so soneone would do what they were supposed to do, I'd love you too if you acted like that to me while I degraded you, want a job cleaning my house?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

So you bowed and kowtowed like step and fetch it just so soneone would do what they were supposed to do, I'd love you too if you acted like that to me while I degraded you, want a job cleaning my house?

So what you gonna do? You gonna fight and argue with every Thai who apparently degrades you?

The sooner a person (I don't mean you specifically as it's a very widespread problem here) can get rid of that Western, over-inflated sense of self importance, the easier living here can be.

Having lived in SE Asia for about 15 years, I also had to make adjustments to my personally, as I'm sure JSixpack had to.

As has been stated on here a number of times. you can make living here easy or difficult, happy or unhappy. It's your choice.

Even if the girl in the booth despises foreigners, she'll still change money if you ask. Why take her behaviour personally? What's the point?

I certainly wouldn't be running around looking for another booth, as that would be a waste of effort and for what? To teach the girl a lesson? Really, no one cares if you walk away.Your effort would be in vain, and only to appease a bruised ego?

I've struck many impolite staff members at local 7Elevens over the years. I really don't care. If I want something I'll go the most convenient store despite the attitude of staff members there. I actually find it amusing when I see staff members go off at customers, doing what horrifies many Westerners i.e. ignoring the old "customer is always right" rule. This does happen quite often due to the large number of Russian customers in my area.

At the end of the day, if you let things bother you, they do.

• Like 2

What I miss in this discussion is that nobody pointed out the difference yet between Pattaya Thais and other, "normal" Thais.

In the provinces with no or little Farang exposure the locals are as nice and polite as they have ever been. I go a lot in - between small - town northern Thailand and Pattaya.... it's as if you are in a different world.

And by the way, many up - country Thais also consider Pattaya Thais impolite!

The vast majority of the Pattaya Thais are those "normal" upcountry Thais working here in Paradise by the sea. Notice how deserted the city seems as the worker bees have returned to their village nest for this long holiday.

...Of course, I am aware of that. It's amazing how fast Pattaya changes them!

YUP, correct, and for the many Thai apologists here, what if the customer was a Thai and not a farang ?

Not many Thais use exchange booths in Thailand.

Mostly foreigners.

A Thai would use Thai manners, which would be of course expected by the booth lady upon seeing a Thai face, and probably get a much nicer response. And in case of resistance a Thai might follow up with a request for help in the form of "What can I do." Quite normal.

Nor would a Thai imagine that using Thai manners is degrading. What an utterly ridiculous idea!

Note how farangs expect Asians to follow polite farang manners when in a farang country. Oh, absolutely! Cannot stand that tendency to ignore queuing up at the bus stop, and complain loudly and bitterly and get downright hostile. And suppose a Chinese commented to another Chinese that this queuing is SO unnecessary, time-wasting, and degrading--farangs should understand that other nationals don't have the custom and accept their mobbing up quietly.

Now, why the contradiction and hypocrisy in the minds of our posters here?

smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

What's degrading about following Thai manners when dealing with a Thai? Go tell a Thai that their manners are degrading but yours aren't. smile.png You're just trolling; hope you're enjoying making a fool of yourself.

Many Brits in particular are just as arrogant as ever and haven't learned much since 1794. The Dutch had a lot more sense and accordingly enjoyed some priceless hospitality:

In the year following the emperor's rebuff to the British mission headed by Lord George Macartney, Titsingh and his colleagues were much feted by the Chinese because of what was construed as seemly compliance with conventional court etiquette. The members of the Titsingh mission, including de Guignes, were the last European diplomats to savour the mid-winter splendor of the vast Summer Palace (the Yuangmingyuan, now known as Old Summer Palace) before its destruction by the Lord Elgin's troops during the punitive Second Opium War in 1860.[3]

--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrétien-Louis-Joseph_de_Guignes

There are customer service staff out there with a good attitude that wouldn't dream of mincing on their ipad at work. Sadly Thai bank staff tend to have a crappy attitude in general, in particular the girls that work in the exchange booths.

• Like 1

You're unable to construct the logical analogy. Let me help. In this case the goal would be to get you to do something for my benefit. Thai manners--utterly useless; the phrase "pearls before swine" leaps to mind.

So maybe I walk into a pub but suddenly realize I'd forgotten my wallet. Damn. Really needed a beer. Then I notice you swaying on a stool watching a screen. What could I do for you? I recall my bluffball:

I sit on the stool beside you, mouth a bit of bluffball, and order a few beers. Then, needing say nothing more, I try to finish my beers as quickly as possible as I appear to listen intently to your profound insights and pontifications about Thais and Thailand. I nod wisely and agreeably at your astute comparisons with superior Western culture. At the end you're SO impressed with my comprehension of your weighty self, that when I announce my departure you gladly offer to pay my bill. I'm reluctantly persuaded to accept; we shake hands farewell. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

I think some here may be aggrandizing Thai manners. In 10 years of visiting and living here, I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard a Thai say to a counter person sawat dee krap or cop khun krap. They usually bowl their way to the front without acknowledging the clerk's existence, state their needs, hand over money, grab the change/food/clothes and walk away without any kind of salutation. Maybe even chatting on a phone or chatting with a friend.

The only exception is at a government office, where the beggar puts on the kindest cloak of politeness because it must be done.

Another exception is in the northeast where most people know each other and do business with each other every day. There's an element of familiarity and comfort, like it is in any country town or city.

As far as farangs dealing with Thais goes, well, let me say in contrast that it's a blessed relief dealing with local people in Cambodia or Vietnam.

What's degrading about following Thai manners when dealing with a Thai? Go tell a Thai that their manners are degrading but yours aren't. smile.png You're just trolling; hope you're enjoying making a fool of yourself.

Many Brits in particular are just as arrogant as ever and haven't learned much since 1794. The Dutch had a lot more sense and accordingly enjoyed some priceless hospitality:

In the year following the emperor's rebuff to the British mission headed by Lord George Macartney, Titsingh and his colleagues were much feted by the Chinese because of what was construed as seemly compliance with conventional court etiquette. The members of the Titsingh mission, including de Guignes, were the last European diplomats to savour the mid-winter splendor of the vast Summer Palace (the Yuangmingyuan, now known as Old Summer Palace) before its destruction by the Lord Elgin's troops during the punitive Second Opium War in 1860.[3]

LOL. I'm Dutch too. You can say what you like about the Dutch, but above all they are generally very practical people and like to do things the easy way.

Since you're bringing up history, consider the Boer War in South Africa. The British insisted on wearing bright red uniforms as they marched through the grasslands (parched - brown) of South Africa, while the Boers (Dutch) picked them off like target practice as they hid in grass wearing khaki uniforms.

Yes, there's usually an easier way to get things done.

• Like 1

LOL. I'm Dutch too. You can say what you like about the Dutch, but above all they are generally very practical people and like to do things the easy way.

Since you're bringing up history, consider the Boer War in South Africa. The British insisted on wearing bright red uniforms as they marched through the grasslands (parched - brown) of South Africa, while the Boers (Dutch) picked them off like target practice as they hid in grass wearing khaki uniforms.

Yes, there's usually an easier way to get things done.

Excellent illustrative bit of history, enjoyed that. Just one more by way of contrast. Note how in 1785 the new United States Minister Plenipotentiary to Britain, John Adams, greeted the king of a defeated nation--the point being to help ensure good relations going forward. It was much against his nature, John Adams a poor diplomat hating this royalty crap the USA had thrown off. How different from British arrogance towards the Chinese emperor. George III to his credit was about as gracious as he could be on the occasion:

I think some here may be aggrandizing Thai manners. In 10 years of visiting and living here, I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard a Thai say to a counter person sawat dee krap or cop khun krap.

Thais do get to do that and it often works as well. Nor are they particular bothered by refusals and time-wasting unless it's something essential. Mai pen rai! They don't childishly whinge and get their panties all in a wad about a gruff refusal.

It might work for you too. In fact, Thais often indulge farang behavior so that farangs get away with stuff Thais can't, esp. when there's some good money to be made.

But then again it might not work for you on any particular occasion. We know in the OP's case what definitely didn't work. smile.png

Now sometimes a farang might already be perceived negatively before he opens his mouth. As some posters have noted, the chances of that are MUCH greater in tourist-shocked Pattaya. Life ain't fair.

But me, I just go ahead and maximize the possibility that I'll be perceived positively and get what I want ASAP with least effort. I hardly think about it, it's so easy, I'm so used to it having lived in Asia so long and learned so long ago. Things just usually go more smoothly their way, the polite their way. If it doesn't, then I just say mai pen rai too. Seriously.

The only exception is at a government office, where the beggar puts on the kindest cloak of politeness because it must be done.

You know, it's amazing how some farangs are so stupid they can't even see the wisdom of such at Immigration. I think most don't last long here.

I'd say that if all farangs always had used polite Thai manners when dealing w/ Thais, we'd all be feeling a lot more welcome here. Too many here full of themselves as in this thread.

JSixpac,

Thanks for the lessons on dealing with disrespectful Thai staff but I disagree. You are encouraging this petulant behavior by treating them like kindergartners.

Yes, ma'am. I guess everyone here but me thinks that disagreement is awfully important.

It ain't our place to change Thai society and go around giving lessons. Alas, a lot of our stupid farang stay unhappy because they've just arrogantly never been able to accept the reality.

To take a common example, many a farang has tried to give a group of Thais the lesson that anyone can park in a public parking space anytime. Not to so would be to encourage their lawbreaking and their illusion that the space can only be used for their own benefit. Farang unhappiness followed; no more lessons were given on that point. (And that's just a small one.)

Happiness and contentment here lie in accepting the culture as it is and finding ways around it and ways to use it to your own advantage.

Thai people don't lick the boots of disrespectful Thai staff and neither should a foreigner. In fact, if you are younger, poorer or have a job in the service industry it's your job is to kiss ass.

That's the Thai way.

Straw man argument; all that silly chip-on-your-shoulder "boot licking" nonsense doesn't cut any mustard either. Sorry, pal.

You've missed the point to try to head off disrespectful behavior before it happens, partly by ensuring your own behavior isn't perceived as disrespectful and so cause it in the first place.

As a farang, you're an outsider with whom Thais tend not to feel comfortable anyway. It's well to try to help them overcome that feeling. I also suspect that after dealing w/ a lot of farang in Pattaya, most Thais can't help feeling superior to what they see and encounter. I can certainly understand that. And sitting in an exchange booth at Tukcom? I'd be ready scream.

I'd argue that since it's their country, their race, and their language and culture (points of which all Thais are keenly aware), and a farang--an outsider normally lacking any extended Thai family or Thai VIP support system--is just here on a visa (99%) and can be accused and kicked out at any time, Thais are all in some way in a superior position, like it or not.

It's well, esp. for us long-term residents, for a farang to keep that in mind and treat all Thais respectfully. Do feel free to disagree. smile.png

Next.

Edited by Rimmer
Profane jpeg
  • Like 1

My views, sometimes Jsixpacks way will work and I employ it too. Western way isnt always right its a different country. I live outside of the tourist area's so its different here. Anyway sometimes i get angry seems to work too. It kinda depends on the situation.

I called if the batteries in my UPS were changed... sure they were. So I went there to pick it up. Once i was there.. sorry its not done (without looking). I told the guy that i was called and traveled far to go to shop so I was found it bad service. (all in Thai of course). I told him that I wanted to speak with the one that told me it was done. All of a sudden the guy looked again and magically the UPS appeared.

Being nice works.. sometimes being persistent and not nice works too, in general I go for being nice. In the end they are the ones that have something you want and you can be in your right but they hold the right cards not you. So i rather swallow some pride and get it done as to make a scene and get nothing done.

But every situation is different but speaking at least a bit of the language makes things easier.

I might not be perfect at Thai (and i realize it) but by practicing i get better. To assume that they have to speak English is crazy. Jsixpack and others are right those that can speak good English won't do simple work they can make much better money elsewhere. So don't expect them there. Just learn the language a bit.

• Like 2

YUP, correct, and for the many Thai apologists here, what if the customer was a Thai and not a farang ?

Not many Thais use exchange booths in Thailand.

Mostly foreigners.

A Thai would use Thai manners, which would be of course expected by the booth lady upon seeing a Thai face, and probably get a much nicer response. And in case of resistance a Thai might follow up with a request for help in the form of "What can I do." Quite normal.

Nor would a Thai imagine that using Thai manners is degrading. What an utterly ridiculous idea!

Note how farangs expect Asians to follow polite farang manners when in a farang country. Oh, absolutely! Cannot stand that tendency to ignore queuing up at the bus stop, and complain loudly and bitterly and get downright hostile. And suppose a Chinese commented to another Chinese that this queuing is SO unnecessary, time-wasting, and degrading--farangs should understand that other nationals don't have the custom and accept their mobbing up quietly.

Now, why the contradiction and hypocrisy in the minds of our posters here?

smile.png

If one has successfully applied for and obtained employment in a role that exclusively deals with foreigners, then it should be accepted that said person is happy to interact with said foreigners and accept their different ways.

• Like 1

Chill out man. Poor command of English can give an appearance of rudeness. I don't know why we expect Thais to adopt our standard of manners in their country or for every Thai to smile at every customer. She's a money changer and not in the entertainment industry.

Why do you assume she had a poor command of English? She understood the request perfectly well and responded in a rude and brusque manner. It appears that taking her away from whatever she was doing on her tablet was a cause of great irritation. How long do you think the staff in a 7/Eleven would last with that attitude?

actually 7/11's FMarts are the worst for this type of thing, there are 2x very close to my residence that I don't use anymore because of the ignorant attitude of the staff and also a situation were I was lined up waiting to be served at the counter and a Thai walked in the door stood beside me ignoring the line and the person serving looked away from me and started to serve the Thai, I left the stuff I had gathered in the store on the counter and walked straight out the door never to return - that has happened several times over the years

• Like 1

Chill out man. Poor command of English can give an appearance of rudeness. I don't know why we expect Thais to adopt our standard of manners in their country or for every Thai to smile at every customer. She's a money changer and not in the entertainment industry.

Why do you assume she had a poor command of English? She understood the request perfectly well and responded in a rude and brusque manner. It appears that taking her away from whatever she was doing on her tablet was a cause of great irritation. How long do you think the staff in a 7/Eleven would last with that attitude?

actually 7/11's FMarts are the worst for this type of thing, there are 2x very close to my residence that I don't use anymore because of the ignorant attitude of the staff and also a situation were I was lined up waiting to be served at the counter and a Thai walked in the door stood beside me ignoring the line and the person serving looked away from me and started to serve the Thai, I left the stuff I had gathered in the store on the counter and walked straight out the door never to return - that has happened several times over the years

Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face?

• Like 2

Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Perfectly in his right and if he feels better.. but to me it seems he just lost a 711 close to his home.

• Like 2

Really, someone working in the service industry in a money changing booth in a tourist center and you are defending their lack of English and customer service skills. Me tinks you've been in Thailand too long.

• Like 1

I thought exchange booths were for only exchanging foreign currency to Baht.

To purchase foreign currency you are required to comply with currency controls in a Bank branch?

Sooo - maybe She Cannot in the OP and at least was being truthful.

• Like 1

That had nothing to do with that it was a Thai who pushed in front of you, I have seen the same situation many times where a Farang will push in front of Thais and get served

The simple truth is the counter staff want to avoid confrontation with the person who has pushed in by telling them they need to go to the back of the line

Not everything you see here is a race thing

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

If one has successfully applied for and obtained employment in a role that exclusively deals with foreigners, then it should be accepted that said person is happy to interact with said foreigners and accept their different ways.

Not here. Seems we don't know Thailand well. I'll bet she never applied for that particular job. As I've already noted,

You can't pay anyone much to suffer in that low-level, unappreciated job--being a monkey in cage at Tukcom day after day, targeted by Russians, Germans, Chinese, and Englishmen speaking dialects. Any Thai who's a master at international relations can do much, much better for herself. Realistically, now, what can you expect? You'd be lucky to get great service there. You might, but you'd better expect--a lady who doesn't much like her job and may be having a bad day after that Russian. Plan for the latter case.

There's what should be, what we'd like (Japanese service by staff speaking English perfectly with Received Pronunciation), and then there's what is. Me, I'd work w/ that exchange booth lady first and see if I couldn't win her over before I spent time looking for another booth. And what's the point of getting angry?

Really, someone working in the service industry in a money changing booth in a tourist center and you are defending their lack of English and customer service skills. Me tinks you've been in Thailand too long.

Not defending but observing the reality. I don't know why one's considered a Thai apologist for just pointing out that what you should expect there is just what you will normally get. Live here a while and you learn not to have any high expectations about a lot of things. TIT.

That had nothing to do with that it was a Thai who pushed in front of you, I have seen the same situation many times where a Farang will push in front of Thais and get served

The simple truth is the counter staff want to avoid confrontation with the person who has pushed in by telling them they need to go to the back of the line

Not everything you see here is a race thing

SO true. Seen this many times.

My views, sometimes Jsixpacks way will work and I employ it too. Western way isnt always right its a different country. I live outside of the tourist area's so its different here. Anyway sometimes i get angry seems to work too. It kinda depends on the situation.

I called if the batteries in my UPS were changed... sure they were. So I went there to pick it up. Once i was there.. sorry its not done (without looking). I told the guy that i was called and traveled far to go to shop so I was found it bad service. (all in Thai of course). I told him that I wanted to speak with the one that told me it was done. All of a sudden the guy looked again and magically the UPS appeared.

Being nice works.. sometimes being persistent and not nice works too, in general I go for being nice. In the end they are the ones that have something you want and you can be in your right but they hold the right cards not you. So i rather swallow some pride and get it done as to make a scene and get nothing done.

But every situation is different but speaking at least a bit of the language makes things easier.

I might not be perfect at Thai (and i realize it) but by practicing i get better. To assume that they have to speak English is crazy. Jsixpack and others are right those that can speak good English won't do simple work they can make much better money elsewhere. So don't expect them there. Just learn the language a bit.

Great post. Re: getting angry, I always find it counterproductive. Asians including Thais find that a bit childish, and also Thais esp. may take it as a challenge so that they then make SURE not to make you happy. Thais are also very sensitive to what they perceive as insults. Perfect excuses not to give you a refund, for example--which are hard enough to get in the best of circumstances.

Staying calm but being forceful is preferable, I think.