How dare you....

whatchamacallit

Just the other day, I was in a supermarket and just like JSixpac, I said to the cashier, "hello. How are you?"

The girl snarled. "I'm not rich like the farang."

Somethings wrong with these people.

That sounds like some kind of straight line,

The mind fairly re-e-e-els with responses to that one ;-)

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Keep the thread open; it's turned into a real hoot.

I don't know why someone would ask for a thread to be closed if they are still going to contribute to it.

Who did that? My question was directed at the OP, because I don't know what more the OP needs from us at this point. He's had a chorus of old ladies gnashing their false teeth and crying with him (like!); a bevy of keyboard macho men posing in their swimsuits and growling at the mean ol' unprofessional Thais for him (like); and few rational types weigh in who tend to avoid such a problem or else it just rolls off (dislike). That's all we got. Our wannabe keyboard badass Tony Sopranos ain't gonna whack the lady for him. So what else?

About the only thing I know for him now is just to get one of those old Chinese funeral ceremony tapes of fake mourners screaming, wailing, and crying, and play it to himself whenever he thinks of the traumatic event (earbuds suggested). And it will come in useful for all the future similar incidents as well.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Why any of you would lower yourself to sub-par service from anyone and have to tip toe around just to get a decent service is beyond me.

Seriously mate, this is your thread - have you read any of our replies? A number of us have already made quite an effort to answer your question.

If you look Thai that could be another reason why your tapping on the window stirred up such a negative emotional response in the girl as it was probably un-Thai behaviour. if you look Thai she would have expected you to speak Thai, not tap on the window.

I know a thing or two about this as my Filipino wife looks Thai and they always treat her as such. She doesn't get the "he's just an ignorant foreigner" pass like the rest of us do... however, there's no way she would have tapped on the glass to get attention.

We haven't tried this yet, but you could try hanging a big sign around your neck stating: "I'm not Thai". Be sure to write this in Thai.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Why any of you would lower yourself to sub-par service from anyone and have to tip toe around just to get a decent service is beyond me.

Seriously mate, this is your thread - have you read any of our replies? A number of us have already made quite an effort to answer your question.

If you look Thai that could be another reason why your tapping on the window stirred up such a negative emotional response in the girl as it was probably un-Thai behaviour. if you look Thai she would have expected you to speak Thai, not tap on the window.

I know a thing or two about this as my Filipino wife looks Thai and they always treat her as such. She doesn't get the "he's just an ignorant foreigner" pass like the rest of us do... however, there's no way she would have tapped on the glass to get attention.

We haven't tried this yet, but you could try hanging a big sign around your neck stating: "I'm not Thai". Be sure to write this in Thai.biggrin.png

This tapping business reminds me of when I first started riding a motorbike in Pattaya years ago. Not used to Thai drivers, I tended to blow my horn routinely and frequently. Notice that Thais really don't do this much at all relative to, say, Tawainese or Vietnamese. And there's a reason. The first time my Thai gf was with me, she immediately warned me not to do it! It could be taken the wrong way--insulting, with unpleasant consequences. And so I also stopped doing it unless I'm sure a, say, baht bus is going to pull over into me.

• Like 1

^^ So true!

In the Philippines horn-honking is absurd. I like the quiet roads here by comparison..

Horns are normally used for their intended purpose here, but they must be used the right way lol. A short beep is accepted as a warning (I'm behind you, watch out etc), but if you hold it too long it becomes an insult. Too many repeated beeps don't go down well either.

You have to learn the correct beep codes for different situations.biggrin.png It's a whole new language.

• Like 2

^^ So true!

In the Philippines horn-honking is absurd. I like the quiet roads here by comparison..

Horns are normally used for their intended purpose here, but they must be used the right way lol. A short beep is accepted as a warning (I'm behind you, watch out etc), but if you hold it too long it becomes an insult. Too many repeated beeps don't go down well either.

You have to learn the correct beep codes for different situations.biggrin.png It's a whole new language.

In Cambodia and Vietnam, the horn means I'm too lazy to slow down/stop so get out of the way because I'm running that red light or the bike is carrying a big unwieldy load, get out of the way. Vietnam adds a wrinkle. The brake lever is disconnected and connected to the horn. (I'm only half joking.)

• Like 1