Tired of Sukhumvit-- Suggestions for a Better Place to Live

NavaJauvana

Hello,

I am a farang living near Thong lo in the Sukhumvit area of BKK for the past 3 years. I am engaged to a thai woman who is a doctor and businesswoman. We like the convenience and relative safety of living in the heart of town, but we're tired of the traffic and pollution, and lack of nature here. The only speck of green around here is Benjasiri Park next to the Emporium.

Does anyone have any recommendation for nice areas outside the center where there is more green and more space but still has access to facilities like shiopping malls and supermarkets and has a few farangs around? I am not a lover of suburban living but after 3 years in the heart of town, i am yearning for a more peaceful and natural atmosphere to survive.

Any suggestions?? Thanks to all.

I rent a townhouse in a private village out by the Hua Mak airport link station. A 30 minute wait/airport link ride and I'm back in the heart of the city. It's never going to be as convenient as living on the BTS/MRT lines, but there is plenty around in the area that a taxi/motorbike ride can get you to.

I used to live in Thong Lor, too. But the 3 minute walks to Funky Villa, Demo and Muse every night killed my productivity.

The river area.

Agree. OP not stated you looked for house or condominium.

I see one place. Baan Chaophraya

http://www.baanchaopraya.com

One time, got to visit friend living there, its nice and calm place but is old building.

No have facilities such as Gym, sauna, restaurant, but have swimming pool.

It is in Thonburi district, but what i like is the condominium has service for tenants to take boat-service across the river from condo's little private pier directly to Sathorn pier to take BTS at Taksin.

Not sure for having farangs or not.

เขียนบน iPad, ประเทศไทย

Personally, I really like the area I am staying, which is the soi just next to Ratchadamri BTS station. I have a beautiful view of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club (RBSC), which provides a lot of serenity amidst the urban sprawl. Balcony view of horse racing at the RBSC on many Sundays during part of the year. Direct view of new years fireworks at RBSC. BTS station 100 meters away, one stop to Siam. A few minutes walk to Central World and the skywalk to Siam or Chitlom. Lumpini Park is just down Ratchadamri Rd. Villa Market a short stroll away. Next to St Regis and the Four Seasons, safe and quiet

Of course, my building is attached to a hotel, so it's very expensive by Bangkok standards (carpark full of high series BMW, Merc, Porsche and a Rolls Royce), but there are less expensive (aka older) buildings nearby. It's a good way to stay in center of the city without feeling suffocated, which is why I stay here rather then the very irritating Sukhumvit strip. Buildings to consider are The Rajdamri, Hansar, or if you need tons of space (4 bedrooms) and have unlimited budget, St Regis, among others. My building has private lifts, no shared walls with neighbors, so dead quiet except when protesters at CentralWorld were booming on loudspeakers.

However, if you really want to escape central Bangkok, I would agree with the following...

Bang Na. Easy access to BTS, central Bang Na, Paradise Park, Mega Bang Na, Seacon Square all for shopping. Suan Luang Ro 9 park, Nong bon water sports area and much much more.

BangNa is where we go when we want to get out of central BKK, and is probably where we would move if we wanted a more suburban lifestyle.

• Like 2

"A doctor and a businesswoman"... Hmmm, I think many falangs are engaged or married to such a woman. Doctor = "I take care you" and businesswoman = "I invest your money... back in my home town". Congratulations if yours really is everything you say she is.

We're out Ram Intra way also. Plenty of shopping (Fashion Island/The Promenade/Crystal Design Center/Nawamin Avenue City etc.) and such out here. A hop on the expressway and you are in Ekkamai/Thong Lor again. Also easy access to the Kanchanapisek for heading out of BKK anywhere. Mega Bang Na, 20min. Airport about the same.

However, traffic can be bad out here too, but depends on where on Ram Inthra and the time. Not Sukh bad, though. Reasonably close to Immigration on CW (whenever they reopen)

Would not recommend Bang Na. Even more air pollution there.

Personally, I really like the area I am staying, which is the soi just next to Ratchadamri BTS station. I have a beautiful view of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club (RBSC), which provides a lot of serenity amidst the urban sprawl. Balcony view of horse racing at the RBSC on many Sundays during part of the year. Direct view of new years fireworks at RBSC. BTS station 100 meters away, one stop to Siam. A few minutes walk to Central World and the skywalk to Siam or Chitlom. Lumpini Park is just down Ratchadamri Rd. Villa Market a short stroll away. Next to St Regis and the Four Seasons, safe and quiet

Of course, my building is attached to a hotel, so it's very expensive by Bangkok standards (carpark full of high series BMW, Merc, Porsche and a Rolls Royce), but there are less expensive (aka older) buildings nearby. It's a good way to stay in center of the city without feeling suffocated, which is why I stay here rather then the very irritating Sukhumvit strip. Buildings to consider are The Rajdamri, Hansar, or if you need tons of space (4 bedrooms) and have unlimited budget, St Regis, among others. My building has private lifts, no shared walls with neighbors, so dead quiet except when protesters at CentralWorld were booming on loudspeakers.

However, if you really want to escape central Bangkok, I would agree with the following...

Bang Na. Easy access to BTS, central Bang Na, Paradise Park, Mega Bang Na, Seacon Square all for shopping. Suan Luang Ro 9 park, Nong bon water sports area and much much more.

BangNa is where we go when we want to get out of central BKK, and is probably where we would move if we wanted a more suburban lifestyle.

Name of the building?

Stayed at Centre Point. Loved the rooms and location.

Not many "freehold" places to buy around there?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

• 2 weeks later...

^^

Hey Razz, sorry for the late reply, never saw a notice of a response.

The place is Hansar Residences, attached to the Hansar Hotel, It's on Mahadlekluang 2, one soi closer to the BTS than G. Centrepoint Ratchadamri (GCR)...about a one minute walk, but doesn't have the direct connection like St Regis. GCR is my favorite serviced apartment in BKK; stayed there on and off over the years when I was living in Singapore, including the last couple of months before moving to Hansar (units don't come available often at Hansar, had to wait). I would have considered just staying at GCR permanently, but the units have a real lack of storage space for longer term living.

Oh yeah, Hansar is an (expensive) leasehold, so I wouldn't consider buying. Awesome place to rent if you don't mind paying a premium by BKK standards (but still cheap compared to my Singapore place). Not sure if The Rajadamri across the soi is a freehold, but if seems to be aging quickly for such a new, high-end development...rapid aging seems to be the norm for most condos here unless attached to a hotel, so I'll probably rent for the duration.

• 1 month later...